All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Handy Weather Reviewed - a new Mega-App.

Steve's been looking at Handy Weather for S60 and finds it polished, professional and supremely focused. Here's the full review.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:30 AM

vicicasas is on a distinguished road
Great review, and a great app.

Just wanted to point out that it's got a 14-day demo period, not just one week as mentioned in the review.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 PM

gdroth is on a distinguished road
Handy Weather

There are some extra nice points to the software. In the five day graph of daily peak temperatures, you can push in the joystick and get a graph of the five daily lows. In the five day list view you also can get some additional info for that day.e.g precipitation. I concur that this is a well-thought out program. One final observation, the updates do occur on schedule. Despite much fiddling I still can't get the WorldMate to update weather automatically.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:37 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
It´s a nice application, indeed.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 PM

epo.fm is on a distinguished road
Wha.. no wireless connection?

Lovely app. The screen saver is the clincher for me.

But can it seriously not connect over a wireless network?? I know it uses very small amounts of data for weather updates but it makes more sense to set your daily update to occur at home before you leave each morning.

Worldmate is very comprehensive but I was looking for something to replace it on principle. Their 'Rent your applications from us' poliicy stinks.

Old 14-08-2006, 01:03 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
That's daft! If you've paid for a device with WiFi and you've paid for a broadband connection and a WiFi router, why on earth would you want to pay someone else GPRS charges when you're at home?

You guys might not pay much for your data but there are still some of us who pay an arm and a leg. That's why we've gone WiFi.

What a bizare decision from the normally sensible Handy software!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 14-08-2006, 01:19 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Great app and I've been using it for a while now. To clear up a point above, yes, it can update via WiFi. I do this in the morning from my home network. No need to waste GPRS traffic needlessly.

Old 14-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think Handy Weather likes to have an Access point - thus you cna use WiFi but not EasyWLAN

Old 14-08-2006, 03:23 PM

OscarB is on a distinguished road
Theres one freeware app called Mobile Weather for 2nd and 3rd ed. to retrieve weather forecasts from Yahoo Weather service.
You can check it at:
http://www.ubahnstation.net/mweather/

Old 14-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Wireless weather updates - still uncertain

Hmm.. maybe I don't understand the real difference between wifi & wlan but it doesn't appear to work on my home wireless network. There's just a spinning globe in the corner as it tries (without success) to download the data. As soon as I change the connection setting to a GPRS access point it downloads it in seconds.

chrsfrwll, You have yours connecting & downloading over your wireless broadband connection at home? Any tips on how to get that working? (You sure it's not sneakily using GPRS in the background?)

Old 14-08-2006, 08:13 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarB
Theres one freeware app called Mobile Weather for 2nd and 3rd ed. to retrieve weather forecasts from Yahoo Weather service.
You can check it at:
http://www.ubahnstation.net/mweather/
It´s even better. Another way, is have in favourities the Weather Chanel page + Opera Mini.

Old 14-08-2006, 09:04 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
epo
Yes I've got it downloading from my broadband connection and not a sneaky GPRS (I can see the cloverleaf) I set up an AP for my home-network (Settings > Setup Connection) and use that within the program, picking it from my list of available APs.

As an aside, it seems to be a quirk of my N80 but any Java based program needing an AP refuses to see my Home network as an AP. Most frustrating, when I have to use GPRS when updating my favourite newsreader. Not sure why either.

Old 21-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Handy Weather is a YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION service too.

OMG I just bought HandyWeather because it looks like a very good app & specifically because I refuse to 'Rent' an application from Worldmate.

I guess I should read all the info on the developers site before paying up net time:
"You can use Handy Weather application during 14 days demo period. Then you will need to purchase one-year subscription to the weather service. "

The above review quite rightly points out that with Worldmate you have to start paying a yearly subscription after the first year.

I really think this review should be edited to include the fact that with Handyweather you start paying your yearly subscription after the first 14 day trial.

Old 17-11-2006, 02:20 PM

dwahi is on a distinguished road
Hi

I can get the connection to work either on WIFI or my network connection (Three).

anyone help?

Old 24-11-2006, 06:53 PM

dwahi is on a distinguished road
Hi

I still cant access the app via wifi...i have my home network selected as the AP, but nothing...anyone help? Thanks
Ads