All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-07-2003, 05:36 AM

eusanpe is on a distinguished road
USA or UK Version P800??

Greetings,

I live in the US and I bought a phone from SE. When I got the phone the only language installed is UK English. I installed the American English language file and select it so basically it is selected. It won't let me delete UK English. If I change the language to UK English I can delete the American English file. Whenever I install an application it defaults to UK English language and it is the only selection, even with American English installed.

My question is: Is there an US English version of the phone? I don't need or want UK English. I want US English

I sent my phone in and wrote that I needed a US version of the phone on my note and talked to SE also but when I got the phone back it was still UK English.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 31-07-2003, 08:17 AM

MDR is on a distinguished road
no difference whatsoever....

just don't mind it.

Old 31-07-2003, 02:26 PM

eusanpe is on a distinguished road
But is there a US version? I talked to SE this morning and the lady said that there is no US version, only UK. I find that hard to believe. Is there a phone that only has the US English installed from the factory?

Old 31-07-2003, 02:35 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
On the SE Global support web site there is a language pack for US English that can be installed depending on your firmware version. I don't think they have one for the very latest firmware.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 31-07-2003, 06:25 PM

Cardinal is on a distinguished road
of course the Americans could learn to spell the language like the people who invented it and all this could be avoided wink wink

Old 31-07-2003, 07:30 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
of course the Americans are more logical in spelling their words however,

why add the extra U when it could be omitted, we add unnecessary letters too like in programME

www.haroboy.boltblue.com
Ads

Old 01-08-2003, 11:29 AM

CJB is on a distinguished road
AFAIK, the P800 was developed using UK English and as such will it always be present. US English is regarded as "just another language" on top of this so, basically, no you can't just have US English!

Think yourself lucky that this just applies to your mobile though. If you were British the chances of finding anything in IT not in US English are remote... the option would be a fine thing!!!

Old 04-08-2003, 01:22 AM

rickpaul is on a distinguished road
The only difference is the software and firmware load on the phone.

The native language on both phones is UK english. It can not be removed, currently.

The North American models come with the US english software as an option that may be erased.

The newest firmware is R2B. In the US, it updates the phone to R2D. In the UK it updates the phone to R2F. The only differences seem to be the preferred preset networks.