Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Read up a bit and you'll see I already put that

Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 PM

PaulyLaw is on a distinguished road
@bartmanekul <<rather crucial being on a poxy 160mb a month limit.>>

Spare a thought for us poor Orange users stuck on 30mb per month!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
unregistered

i was using the older version a couple of months ago, and while it looked very nice, i found the weather info to be wrong on a daily basis! it was totally useless for the toronto area. since the version has been updated i will give it a try again.
thanks for the review

Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I hadn't noticed you can't add custom cities anymore - that's nasty. Especially as I could have sworn the previous version was able to use the current GPS position as a City. For the record, I get different forcasts for my custom cities, despite most of them being relatively close (as in within 40 miles) of London.

I noticed when I first started using Handy Weather (years ago) that sometimes the screensaver wouldn't kick in until after a couple of reboots of the phone, and if you've installed the app. onto a memory card, then taking that out and putting it back in helped as well.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
so is this worth it for us in Cali USA, where the weather never changes? haha but maybe when i move back to the east coast it will be useful
Ads

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM
anoska

When you say only $20, you should mention it's $20 for the first year, and $13 yearly after that. I don't think it's very nice of them to not be clear that the license is only for one year.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
But then, as most people only keep their phone for a year and licenses are generally tied to imea numbers, is this really an issue? (in the uk anyway)

Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Unregistered

1 Step Forward, 1 Step Back

I was diappointed in the new version, after previously excellent service from Epocware.

1. Being outside the USA in Asia, I suddenly found that most of "My" cities no longer had a "Current Condition" - so I have a weather application that can't tell me the local weather.

Epocware claim that their new data provider - Intellicast.com - doesn't provide this service, but clearly they provide it from some cities, and certainly I can see all "My" cities current condition on the Intellicast main web-site, so this looks like Epocware just didn't pay for all the cities and are downgrading the service available to some of their existing customers and saving themselves some money at our expense.

2. I couldn't find a way for the maps to be included in the scheduled updates - so now I have a weather application that doesn't cover "My" cities, and only auto-updates half of the information that is available - leaving the large map data for a real-time update when I am unlikely to have access to my free wifi connection.

Is it just me, or has the qualification for being a "star in the Symbian OS firmament" just dropped a peg or two ?!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was diappointed in the new version ..... / ..... 1. Being outside the USA in Asia, I suddenly found that most of "My" cities no longer had a "Current Condition" - so I have a weather application that can't tell me the local weather .... / .... Intellicast.com - doesn't provide this service, but clearly they provide it from some cities, and certainly I can see all "My" cities current condition on the Intellicast main web-site, so this looks like Epocware just didn't pay for all the cities and are downgrading the service available ..... / .... Is it just me, or has the qualification for being a "star in the Symbian OS firmament" just dropped a peg or two ?!
You'll see from the comments above, starting at the second one, that I think the same. You have gone one step further with the speculation and been to the Intellicast website to check it out. So yes, I would agree that there have been a few pegs slipped.

Last edited by chrsfrwll; 06-03-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
It certainly is a lovely application, but I must say I am disappointed to hear from chrsfrwll that you cannot now input custom locations using latitude and longitude coordinates. That is a serious step backwards. I can't believe epocware have done it. I think Steve should review the score, to be honest.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
I think this is a great update. The only things I am missing now, compared to the old one, is:

1. Current weather
2. Chill factor
3. Wind gusts
4. Precipitation

And why would you want those things in a weather app?

I'm sticking to v4.05...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

nice app, but I prefer worldmate

I prefer worldmate which you can download and use for free which, although it doesn't have weather maps, does speak the weather forecast and also has currency too!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

it is in deed a nice ap, but as i daily use my bicycle for going to workd 10km journey one way, plus some visit during the day, so i would gladly use somthing more precised like this
http://www.meteociel.fr/getprevi.php...3214&tendance=
which i bookmark in my nokia E61, and check in the morning via wifi before choosing what to wear

Old 23-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Theme?

I hate to dig up such an old thread, but i MUST know what theme you are running for this review? Love the dark and simple background. Thanks!

Old 13-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

Regarding the backwards momentum of the product, I can only call it and the review 'lacking'; the review for not making it plain that the latest version culls features yet demands the same price and the app for sliding behind despite the version number moving forward.

Very disappointing...