All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Plagus is on a distinguished road
E75 and turn by turn sat nav

Hi everyone

I am happily using Co Pilot 7 on the E71 and am seriously considering getting an E75 to use as my main device. But..... I need CP7 (or another memory card based sat nav app) to work on the new hardware using the internal GPS.

Has anyone tried this/know if this app will work OK? It's a bit of a deal breaker for me if it doesn't work.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 18-05-2009, 05:45 PM

PDADoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagus View Post
Hi everyone

I am happily using Co Pilot 7 on the E71 and am seriously considering getting an E75 to use as my main device. But..... I need CP7 (or another memory card based sat nav app) to work on the new hardware using the internal GPS.

Has anyone tried this/know if this app will work OK? It's a bit of a deal breaker for me if it doesn't work.

Many thanks in advance.
If I'm understanding you clearly, then all you have to do is deactivate the license on the E71 and then activate it on the E75, that's all I did and it works fine. In fact, I'm constantly switching between devices and as long as I simply deactivate the license on whichever device I'm using at the moment, I can reactivate it on any other device.

Alk is good that way; you can use the software on any of the devices it supports, just not at the same time, is all. You should have no problems at all.

Golf season is here! The only sport where athletes (if you want to call them that) actually earn their money instead of getting it regardless of whether they actually perform!

Old 18-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Plagus is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for that Doc.

The root of my question was whether the application will actually work at all on the E75 - I called ALK and they said it was "untested" so couldn't say.

The fact that you are switching between devices is an added bonus for me - didn't know that was possible via the activation/deactivation you mentioned.

Many thanks - off to buy one now I think!
Ads

Old 18-05-2009, 06:02 PM

PDADoc is on a distinguished road
Glad to help! Yes, that's a relatively unknown feature, it's handy because you never have to uninstall the software, just deactivate it and shut down your phone.

One thing, though: in order to deactivate the software, you still need to have access to the Internet so that Alk's servers record the deactivation. Otherwise what happens is that when you go to try and activate the app on another device you'll get a message telling you that you can only use the software on one device at a time.

As for the "untested" thing, it happens all the time that some software developers are unable to get a test unit from the manufacturer and never know for sure whether there might be something that keeps the app from working properly. I can attest, however, that it's working just fine. I'll post some screenshots when I have the time.

Golf season is here! The only sport where athletes (if you want to call them that) actually earn their money instead of getting it regardless of whether they actually perform!