All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth file transfers made slicker?

It seems that new ideas and elements of upcoming Symbian incarnations keep getting backported and prototyped into existing products. Well done to Rita el-Khoury for noticing how the new Nokia X6 handles incoming Bluetooth-beamed files - straight to a folder on memory card rather than clogging up the Messaging inbox and disk C:. Very neat, and should save quite a few Symbian newbies from clogging up their internal disk in future....

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Smile should have been on all devices

i hope x6 is the only device which does it afaik
Now can every other device be made to perform like this thats the question, wish all future smartphones should have this

Old 13-01-2010, 10:45 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
One thing I noticed while in Japan is how often Infra red is used to swap contact info .. I didn't have such a facility on my N95 or N97 (to my knowledge) .. Japanese phones tend not to support WiFi (My friends were quite amazed at the WiFi browsing speed on the N97 especially) and their contact swapping didn't support bluetooth.

Does anyone know of an application which allows adhoc connection via bluetooth (PAN) which supports contact exchange?

In the end instead of using costly messaging services I just entered the info manually.

Old 13-01-2010, 12:16 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
I didn't have such a facility on my N95 or N97
N95 has IRdA port, N97 doesn't.

Old 13-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Sadly not on latest E72 update.

Old 13-01-2010, 02:18 PM

bitflung is on a distinguished road
why not move messages to E: drive?

the original article states that bluetooth was 'fixed' by sending the files straight to the mass memory, rather than the inbox. fair enough, i think that's a good thing to do - but to then assume the inbox is on the C: drive is silly if you ask me.

mine's not. i moved it to drive E:. that's the first thing i do on a nokia phone. right before installing gravity (FTW).
Ads

Old 13-01-2010, 02:23 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitflung View Post
the original article states that bluetooth was 'fixed' by sending the files straight to the mass memory, rather than the inbox. fair enough, i think that's a good thing to do - but to then assume the inbox is on the C: drive is silly if you ask me.

mine's not. i moved it to drive E:. that's the first thing i do on a nokia phone. right before installing gravity (FTW).
And you don't have a problem with the inbox reverting back to C: when you connect in mass storage mode? This bug annoys me as hell :/.

Old 13-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Rita El Khoury

@Bitflung
Actually the point is that normobs don't know that they can move the inbox to the E drive, that's why many of my friends end up with "memory full, delete some data" popup.
The second point is that I personally prefer to keep all my messages on the C drive, because the mass memory connection bug and because smtms the memory card gets toasted and needs formatting, so it's a welcome change that bluetooth files are now separate from the rest of the inbox, and can be treated as such