All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM

cryptkiller is on a distinguished road
gps software and nokia maps..your thoughts

hi,

i had tom tom on my ameo b4 but now have nokia maps

how is this charged ? by the amout of data usuage ? or is it a free service ?

whats the best symbian gps software marvin ? tom tom ? co pilot

could i have your thoughts please

thanks
Ads

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM

bugmenot is on a distinguished road
http://www.google.com

Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 AM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkiller View Post
i had tom tom on my ameo b4 but now have nokia maps

how is this charged ? by the amout of data usuage ? or is it a free service ?

whats the best symbian gps software marvin ? tom tom ? co pilot
The Nokia Maps application is free. The maps are free as well. The GPS signal is of course free.

Naturally, your mobile network operator might charge you for data when Maps is downloading its maps if you do not have an unlimited data plan. If you are in this situation, you can use the Nokia Map Loader PC software to pre-load the maps you need on your memory card.

The navigation feature of Nokia Maps isn't free. Just start navigating in the applications and the prices will be displayed.

AFAIK, none of the third party sat nav software such as Tom-Tom support the E90's internal GPS receiver. So unless you're willing to use a bluetooth GPS receiver, you're pretty much stuck with Nokia Maps.

Nokia Maps isn't really a bad application but it's not mind-blowing application either. You have to spend quite a bit of time using it and getting used to its UI, its limitations and its idiosyncrasies before you can really enjoy it.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
AFAIK, none of the third party sat nav software such as Tom-Tom support the E90's internal GPS receiver. So unless you're willing to use a bluetooth GPS receiver, you're pretty much stuck with Nokia Maps.
Nearly ALL third party satnav apps now support nokias internal GPS. The only exception is tomtom.

Garmin

Navicore

Copilot

Navigon

Route66

Wayfinder

Amaze

Viewranger (not strictly car satnav but it uses the internal GPS).

Are all ones which do. Garmin is the one of choice at the moment, since tomtom only works with a BT reciever.

Old 27-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
And can you also provide us which of the applications are using the mobile network for their maps? Because I don't have an unrated data plan.

The only software I know where you doesn't need internet is TomTom and Navicore it seems.
I just don't understand why TomTom doesn't make a version that works with the internal GPS and external/internal screen switching. IMO TomTom is the best sat nav app around.

Also I downloaded the new beta of Nokia Maps 2.0 but when you are in the internal screen, the buttons on the right of the screen show e.g. options and close but when you click options, it closes and vice versa.
I hope they will fix this issue in the final version.

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 28-02-2008, 09:39 AM

anthoj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Li0n View Post
And can you also provide us which of the applications are using the mobile network for their maps? Because I don't have an unrated data plan.

The only software I know where you doesn't need internet is TomTom and Navicore it seems.
I just don't understand why TomTom doesn't make a version that works with the internal GPS and external/internal screen switching. IMO TomTom is the best sat nav app around.

Also I downloaded the new beta of Nokia Maps 2.0 but when you are in the internal screen, the buttons on the right of the screen show e.g. options and close but when you click options, it closes and vice versa.
I hope they will fix this issue in the final version.
I'm using Garmin Mobile XT. I usually have the 'Garmin Online' feature turned off, which does not (in my knowledge) use my data plan. On the other hand, I read somewhere that newer phones (with GPS) are now using cell towers (with the data plan) to do initial triangulation, giving you an immediate, but not-so-accurate location. I do notice my Edge connection going active every time I use ExtGPS, which is a software that enables you to utilize the built-in GPS receiver externally via Bluetooth. This usually gives me an almost immediate fix (I'm talking about a couple of seconds after Edge is connected). I don't know if I answered your questions, but I hope that helps.

anthoj

Old 28-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
I think it is because of the "a-GPS" function that it always needs to use EDGE, so always costs money. In the past you installed TomTom and connected an external BT GPS receiver and it worked with out any costs. Now it seems that every GPS application needs to use connection from EDGE to connect and to download the map from a server.

Thats why I am looking for an application, working with the internal GPS, without a-GPS option turned on, so it doesn't cost you extra money because it needs to connect via EDGE

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 28-02-2008, 06:57 PM

anthoj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Li0n View Post
I think it is because of the "a-GPS" function that it always needs to use EDGE, so always costs money. In the past you installed TomTom and connected an external BT GPS receiver and it worked with out any costs. Now it seems that every GPS application needs to use connection from EDGE to connect and to download the map from a server.

Thats why I am looking for an application, working with the internal GPS, without a-GPS option turned on, so it doesn't cost you extra money because it needs to connect via EDGE
Does it absolutely NEED to? If it doesn't, then change the network settings so that Edge can't connect properly. I wonder if that will work.