All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-04-2008, 03:01 PM

BernardF1 is on a distinguished road
Settings

Hi All,

Good to have such a site to use whilst in the tech jungle of setting up the E90 ( for me anyhow ).
I just got the E90, o2. I been reading manual to setup most features. Curious about some points.

1. Hotmail is not able to be retrieved to phone..., and viewing HM online I get a enable cookies which is already enabled? While viewing webpage online I cannot see the options along the top of the webpage to make any recommended changes?

2. Total device memory is what...and what is max removable memory? Is Nokia memory the only kind of removable memory to be considered, I think costs are very different.

3. Is there a widely used setfup file on this website that can save a lot of time?

4. Are o2 settings tweakable and is this possible to optimise full functionality of the phone?

5. What are the most recommended files to download or use on the phone apart from the preinstalled package.

6. Why would I get a timed out message if I have unlimited browsing enabled?

7. Do I have any options to access broadband? I have a pc, and phone came with USB mini to large.

Regards,

Bernard

Last edited by BernardF1; 26-04-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Old 27-04-2008, 08:56 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardF1 View Post
1. Hotmail is not able to be retrieved to phone..., and viewing HM online I get a enable cookies which is already enabled? While viewing webpage online I cannot see the options along the top of the webpage to make any recommended changes?
I suppose that you're using the free version of hotmail. In this case, you won't be able use the Messaging application to get your emails. The free hotmail doesn't use the standard email protocols that every other email providers in the world uses but a proprietary Microsoft-only protocol that only works with Microsoft software. And the Hotmail web site itself is quite screwed up. I never managed to get anywhere with it on a phone.

You got a few options:
1) Get rid of Hotmail. Probably the best option. Hotmail is only going to cause you more and more trouble and is really not worth the hassle. There are loads of better email providers out there. Gmail for example is free and pretty good.

2) Open an email account with a provider that supports standard protocols (POP3 oe IMAP4), forward all your hotmail emails to your new account and check your mails on your phone from this new account. I'm not sure that Hotmail will even let you set up automatic forwarding though. The last time I checked (a long time ago), it didn't (yet another reason to get rid of it).

3) Use the Microsoft Windows Live client on your phone. You'll find it somewhere in the Download application on your phone. It'll let you check your hotmail emails. It's a bitch to install though (downloads megabytes of data and it took me 3 attempts to get it to install properly). And it's definitely not a brilliant application (but then, the built-in email client isn't either).

Quote:
2. Total device memory is what...and what is max removable memory? Is Nokia memory the only kind of removable memory to be considered, I think costs are very different.
I guess that you're talking about storage memory. I think it's got somewhere around 160MB of built-in storage memory. And it'll take any min-SD card up to 8GB (which is the largest available on the market at the moment). No need to use Nokia-branded cards. I've got an 8GB sandisk that works just fine. Just make sure to use a good quality memory card and buy it from a reputable seller (avoid eBay, most of the memory cards there are fakes and unreliable).

Quote:
3. Is there a widely used setfup file on this website that can save a lot of time?
Nope.

Quote:
4. Are o2 settings tweakable and is this possible to optimise full functionality of the phone?

5. What are the most recommended files to download or use on the phone apart from the preinstalled package.
There would be loads of things to say here. Just browse the various sites and forums dedicated to the E90 and to S60 3rd edition (which is the operating system that your phone uses), there is an awful lot of useful info already out there. You could start by checking out this new article on this very web site: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...paying_for.php

Quote:
6. Why would I get a timed out message if I have unlimited browsing enabled?
A time out error in the Web browser just means that the Web browser hasn't been able to connect to whatever web server you wanted to access. Could mean that you have entered a wrong web site address, that the web site you're trying to access is down or that your signal strength is poor. Nothing to do with your data plan.

Quote:
7. Do I have any options to access broadband? I have a pc, and phone came with USB mini to large.
Some S60 phones can use a PC's internet connection to connect to the Internet but that requires some complicated tweaking. I don't think that the E90 can do that. Since you've got an unlimited data though, I don't quite see the point of this.

Old 30-04-2008, 09:34 PM

BernardF1 is on a distinguished road
Elp Reply

Hi Elp,

1. Free version yes, but thinking...
2. Memory is crucial and 8GB is I now know compatible.
3. BBand conn is still in the pipe but not likely too much pressure on phone I think.
4. o2 settings are as one would expect defaulted, but I feel we as paying customers are entitled to have applications to which our phones are compatible if we wish, as long as o2's terms are not compromised.

Regards and thanks for your timely reply,

BernardF1
Ads

Old 30-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi BernardF1,

If your Broadband Connection is Wifi yes your E90 will run on that connection no problems.

Take a look at Seven Always On E-Mail they still have a Free Beta Program that is getting updates regularly and will handle your Hotmail or any other accounts and is real Push E-Mail.

Marc