All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-03-2008, 05:58 PM

Orangezorki is on a distinguished road
E90 - Flickering front screen?

Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie to Nokia phones in general, let alone Communicators (though I did once own a Psion 5mx!), so please forgive me for the huge gaps in my knowledge.

Yesterday, I went to the Nokia shop in London, and in exchange for one of my kidneys I left with a brand new, Sim-free E90. It's a great device, and has v4.2 on the battery cover, along with a 15 in the middle of the IMEI number, so from what I have read, this should be a recently built example.

I have however noticed one thing. The front screen, when the phone is 'thinking', for example when loading the camera app, flickers a bit. It's more like a scanning effect, like the redraw rate has gone down alot. However, I can't see it when using the maps, or a game, or when I switch from a dots theme to the built in aquamarine one. Never seen it on the amazing internal screen.

Now, it really doesn't affect the usability of the device, but I wondered if this is normal, or if it signifies that a major failure is around the corner? It would be much easier to return it now instead of in two months.

Thanks for any replies.

David.

Old 23-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Hello David

Don't give up! It's a great device and has loads of potential if you make use of the many unique features. I'm sure you'll find that it's worth the (large) cost.

When you launch Camera, there is normally a 'delay' where the screen will go to blank 'blue' (if using the default theme) before it fires up. This is the loading procedure for the app. Some other RAM hungry apps will do the same. Others are pretty instant. One of the great benefits of the E90 is the huge amount of RAM and you need to understand that you can leave loads of apps running in the background so that when you use them again, they're already running and you can switch to them instantly. On first start-up some can be slower to respond. Having said this, you also need to be aware of the fact that leaving bigger RAM using apps like Camera open and running in the background will effect to some degree, your battery life. I think it's a good pay-off to have to close the likes of Camera for the battery benefits and accept the start-up wait.

Make sure your E90 has the most up to date firmware by checking the Nokia Software Update service.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Last edited by timsalmon; 23-03-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Ads

Old 24-03-2008, 08:46 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
I have never noticed any sort of flickering on either screen on my E90 after 6 months of usage. There are frequent lags of course when launching "big" applications such as the camera or when changing themes but no flickering or "scanner-like effects. If you are seeing flickering on the external screen but not on the internal one when doing the same actions, it might very well be a sign of hardware problem.

If you are lucky enough to live nearby a Nokia Center, I'd definitely bring it there for a check-up.