All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
N82 Preserves Data During Firmware Upgrade

The first firmware update for the N82 is going to have a subtle change we've been looking for; the preservation of User Data (writes Kevin at the S60 blog). The plan is that when you do upgrade the firmware, your applications and settings will remain intact . Three caveats; 1) you should still back up your data first; 2) It's only for the N82; 3) you'll need to wait a bit longer for the first N82 firmware upgrade to arrive.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Is this just a first for the N series? I recently did my 6110 and all settings, messages, apps etc are still as they were.

Old 15-01-2008, 04:26 PM
eb08

100 % backup and restore is needed

hi

nice that nokia/symbian takes some time, finally, to take care about this firmware-preserving-data thingy !

but instead of inventing something new and for them to put more work into making firmware available is to improve the backup/restore functionality of recent s60 devices, because this is what makes a firmware update so painful. if the backup/restore would work one can do as many firmware updates one wants and after restore one would have the same phone as before !

in improving the backup/restore take this into consideration:
* why the programmer has to decide what to backup - it must be that default is to backup all and let the programmer decide what NOT to backup !
* in addition the user must decide what to backup and what not
* several backup sets are needed
* why the backup is encrypted, compressed and hidden from me - the owner of the data inside the backup ?!
* if the phone-setup is faulty and one has a chance to do a backup before reset - currently the same fault might show up after restore. not so if one would have the chance to select what to backup !

pls take this into consideration !

eb
Ads

Old 15-01-2008, 06:25 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Not sure when this has been first implemented in S60 but I upgraded a friend's 5500 firmware to the lastest firmware version over Christmas (which I believe has been released quite a while ago) and it didn't delete anything from the phone. All the contacts, themes and applications were still there after the firmware upgrade. Even the call logs had remained intact. Didn't have to restore anything. Was very surprised. And yes, I did check that the new firmware had actually been installed properly on the phone.

No such luck when I updated my E90 a month ago though. Phone got reformatted, the restore process screwed up as usual and i had to spend a few hours re-installing and re-registrering half of my applications.

Old 16-01-2008, 09:01 AM
ayush3090

even the old 3250 had data preservation

the only thing that the n-series didnt have from the scratch which is available in lower models

hehehehehe................nokia's weird........really weird !

Old 20-01-2008, 09:47 AM

delanz is on a distinguished road
same as bartmanekul, I did update my 6110 firmware and all my messages, contacts, applications stayed intact.