All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@brendand I feel it's somewhat unjust and indeed ignorant of consumers' experiences to cagtegorise all concerns about the N8 and it's reliability at release as Trolls.

After two such dismal release efforts as the N96 and the N97 (and frankly the N95 was pretty flaky at release) it really shouldn't surprise you that people are a sceptical of Nokia Symbian devices' release states particularly on new platforms. After being punched in the head repeatedly they'd be foolish not to be I think you could see. This is the fruit of the reputation for unfinished and unreliable flagship software and hardware that Nokia and Symbian have garnered and is now down to them to prove they have changed. After all this streak of poor high end devices has resulted in a series of profit and revenue downgrades and has just cost the CEO his job so there's probably something to it. The N97 took at least 6 months to get into a semi fit for release state and remins buggy till this day a reputation which resulted in the collapse of it's second hand value making it pretty much the worst value phone of 2009 (it penalised you on purchase and then again if you tried to sell it) and yet you castigate people for querying the upcoming release - naive.

Secondly I believe you were amongst the many who roundly criticised Mobile Review's N8 and S3 preview as being based on early firmware and he didn't know what he was talking about and the whole thing was disgraceful rubbish. In which light it ill behoves you to cherry pick out elements of those previews that you feel show S3 in a good light. Either the whole of Eldar's previews stand or no part of them.

As a Nokia shareholder I really (really) want Nokia to turn the corner and start producing exciting and profitable devices, I am a supporter of open source (although I think Nokia should have prioritised differently but that's another debate) and I believe that Nokia's initiatives to address developing markets could well bear fruit and as someone interested in the mobile markets I hope that the market leader can once again enter the fray of the upper tier of mobile devices with compelling (and let's not forget profitable) devices before it gets swamped, this benefits all of us (not forgetting us shareholders). As an N97 owner I'll be keeping my hands in my pockets until a good few months after release until we see how things go. At the release of the N97 there were loads of videos (some infamously parodied) showing wonderful effects smooth browsing and scrolling etc. and plenty of blithe assurances from interested parties and review sites that really after 6 months since the Dec '08 announcement the software was stable and could run well on the seemingly restricted hardware thanks to the wonders and optimisations of it's Symbian operating system. It did not.

Ironically whilst posting this on my N97 it crashed and had to finish it on PC...........................

Last edited by snoFlake; 10-09-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: To add last para

Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not possible. Why? Because it's already printed in millions of Tesco catalogues that's why, and it is illegal to sell something for a greater price than advertised.

Proof (see first picture): http://mynokiablog.com/2010/09/09/no...p-no-contract/

It is not illegal to increase prices on any product. Nor is it illegal to withdraw any offer.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is not illegal to increase prices on any product. Nor is it illegal to withdraw any offer.
Indeed you are correct. Tesco have already added 10.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx

Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Indeed you are correct. Tesco have already added 10.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx
It's now 329.97

We apologise that the incorrect price has been published in the AW10 catalogue - the correct price is 329.97 Expected launch date for this product is first week in October 2010.
Tesco Mobile Nokia N8-00 Black

Still reasonably priced, about right for that type of handset.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Still reasonably priced, about right for that type of handset.

Very typical of a Nokia launch, streetwise prospective buyers know that the pre-order price is not worth paying attention to. All these people getting on their high horse about the 400+ pricing make me laugh.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

u know what

u know what, as a long time fan of nokia, ever since the early days of 7650, i couldn't keep my n82 any longer and brought a sony satio. horrible phone great camera. thought id wait for the nokia n8 but got bored, in mean time i got loaned a mates x10. omg, im not going back to nokia! apps, speed, design, its just "fun" to use. i don't have the same feeling with nokia products. so nokia -1 customer for life, until at least meego comes out!

this is the last high end symbian device, they are concentrating on meego for there highend, so my advice, for this phone, at this price, is skip it until it goes down in price. camera and video aside, its strictly a mid range handset.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

this is the last high end symbian device, they are concentrating on meego for there highend, so my advice, for this phone, at this price, is skip it until it goes down in price. camera and video aside, its strictly a mid range handset.
That's old news.

But I don't do "high end". Those kind of handsets are for hardcore bore-geeks. Mid-ranges is more appropriate for humans.

Old 13-09-2010, 09:25 PM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
What's interesting is that Vodafone selling one colour exclusively, namely Lime Green, is something other companies are doing as well. The silver variant is exclusive to Carphone Warehouse.

Old 14-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
OK, bingo - you can unlock a Tesco mobile for 20 before the first 12 months is up (applies to pay as you go too). See about a page and a half up from the bottom: http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=36

Which means you can get an unlocked N8 for 309 all in! Nice
Tesco is an MVNO using the O2 network by the way.

Remember, if you're willing to have a contract with some other network, then you can simply see what other premium handsets your network will offer with a contract, then check prices on EBay, ask for the one that will get the most money, then sell it on Ebay and use the money to fund the N8 from Tesco as above, swapping in the SIM from your network of choice. This may not be necessary however in the UK at least, as it seems N8 will be available in various deals on all networks. Nice
Or how about buying an N8 from Tesco for 329.97 plus 20 unlock fee and then selling it on Ebay. How much do you think it would sell for? Then with that money, use it to buy a sim-free N8 from all the other retailers or the new HTC Desire HD.

Old 14-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Will the Nokia N8's screen have the clear black display and does it have RDS tuning on the FM radio?

Old 22-09-2010, 10:14 AM

WillH is on a distinguished road
I pre-order the N8

I hear it has been pushed back a month via some random blog

Nokia say they haven't pushed it back and are just altering arrival expectations or something like that

Shipping changes to "END OF OCTOBER 2010" on the Nokia UK store

I can understand pushing back the release if there is a reason to do so. The fact that that they didn't send me an email telling me of this and didn't have an official explanation that doesn't contradict another official explanation bothers me.

And so Nokia you have just lost a pre-order (during which the support person on the other end of the phone stated it had been pushed back to the end of October). You have good telephone customer service but the rest though has been atrocious.

Old 22-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I pre-order the N8

I hear it has been pushed back a month via some random blog

Nokia say they haven't pushed it back and are just altering arrival expectations or something like that

Shipping changes to "END OF OCTOBER 2010" on the Nokia UK store

I can understand pushing back the release if there is a reason to do so. The fact that that they didn't send me an email telling me of this and didn't have an official explanation that doesn't contradict another official explanation bothers me.

And so Nokia you have just lost a pre-order (during which the support person on the other end of the phone stated it had been pushed back to the end of October). You have good telephone customer service but the rest though has been atrocious.
End of October for pre-orders? That is not good enough!
Ads

Old 14-10-2010, 11:30 AM

My order has changed to ready for despatch and it should be with me tomorrow. One thing I have heard is that Instant Messaging doesn't work on the phone and I was looking forward to using that feature.