All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM

iamtheapeohyes is on a distinguished road
bye to symbian

I waited and waited- but have bought a htc desire instead, which is wonderful and satisfies my own requirement in a phone- "is it like a psion". I too felt I just couldn't trust nokia given the past- what a waste s60 was on my e90! My 5800's screen broke twice. The battery life is likely a huge over-estimate on the N8. Symbian's bluetooth support is better than android, though.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

"The UK is a key market for Nokia"

yes because they get free money from the UK product 'tax' (and I dont mean VAT)

also the phone is free on 24 month (at 35 a month) contracts NOT 18 month contracts as you incorrectly state - fix it

just so you know we pay a tiny apple tax for the 16GB iphone comapared to this! (taking the $699 non comitment iphone (without the US sales tax) wich is still locked to AT&T, against our sim free 499 with VAT iphone)

Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

>I think you meant Apple instead of Nokia what with the antenna hardware issues and the proximity sensor's inability to recognise a face.<

No, I meant Nokia.

The N97 was an abomination, but the problem was not so much the hardware and software bugs, but the way Nokia dealt with them, or rather, didn't.

At least Apple had the good grace to give away a free cover to try and solve the problem. Nokia were still fitting the same defective parts 3 months after the launch of the N97 and hoping the problem would go away.

After 8 years with Nokia and Symbian, I've moved to Android and it would take more than the rehash Symbian^3 is to tempt me back.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

n8

Loads have been very anxious an dying to see an buy the N8,as its been along time since Nokia let the N8 get leaked out in April,the Price might seem High,but if Apple can get away charging such a High price for there iPhones an people are willing to pay for it,the others are going to follow suite,I would like to see a Review an Video of the Finished version of the N8,an will be watch the London Event on the 14th-15th September very closely were Nokia will be showing off the N8 an the new Symbian3 software,Hope the N8 really gets Nokia back on track an shows the others that Nokia does not want Android an Symbian4 an Meego will be alot better

Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
So UK VAT is 17.5% and we're paying GBP429 or Euro518:-

France it's 19.6% but we're still paying GBP49 more

Germany it's 19% but we're paying GBP33 more

Italy it's 20% but we're paying GBP41 more

What happened to Euro370 before taxes ie Euro 434.75 with UK VAT or GBP361 odd?

Obviously all the Euro release prices are above this but we really are getting shafted.

This seems unwise in one of the Euro countries where Nokia has lost serious amounts of ground at the top end to both Apple and Android devices. It also pitches it at the same price as the Galaxy S and the Desire sim free and that's without deals (well if there wasn't a seeming supply shortage of those 2) and not a million miles from where Vodafone pitched the iPhone4 on PAYG. And that's without new devices from HTC's London event next week pushing the price of the older versions down.

Nokia are behaving as if S^3 is a step change OS (ie what they promised investors) rather than an interim kludge. I don't believe that after the first N95 then the N96 then topping the fails with the all time classic N97 (which still barely works and is now completely obsolete already) that Nokia has the pre release pricing power they are trying to exhibit here. And why stiff the country that used to buy huge volumes of your product and still may have some Epoc/Symbian goodwill left and that you have been loosing huge amounts of market share to Apple etc. (I believe that along with France the UK is amongst the highest in iPhone penetration).

Mind you I'd be amazed after previous efforts if the pre order volumes are very high, following Steve Litchfield's maxims I'm certainly not touching it after N97 experience for a good few months and in fact by then I'll hold out to see what Android 3 looks like, what Meego brings or S^4 - though did see rumour that S^4 is delayed so that Meego which is falling behind can be finished, if that proves true in any way as a shareholder I don't want to think of the consequences. - "hello I'd like to sell some shares, what!? errr fergedit"

Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Apple can charge what they like cause they have a device that people have to have, nobody else can get away with that kind of premium pricing. The N8 needs to slug it out with the galaxy s, desire. They will sell but woe betide them if its not up to scratch
Ads

Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
also the phone is free on 24 month (at 35 a month) contracts NOT 18 month contracts as you incorrectly state - fix it
Check again - you can change the contract length to 18 months and the price remains the same. You get less inclusive minutes though.

I do appreciate people get worked up about SIM free prices, but these do tend to vary a lot early on and then settle down. It's worth bearing in mind that most people (In the UK and many other markets) buy on a contract and not SIM free.

Frustrating for those of use who do buy SIM Free though.

I would add that the UK does seem particular prone to Nokia currency hedging (well at least for the last year).

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmc View Post
I work for Nokia so cannot comment on future plans. However, I can say Nokia is committed to Symbian^3, and of course N8 is not the only product using Symbian^3. The N8 and all Symbian^3 products come with Qt built in, so you can run Qt apps. We have rolled this out to 5th edition too (the Orange Wednesday is a good example).

Those comments you mention for 'oops' moments, we a of course are very aware of and we are not looking to repeat them Symbian^3 has WDP which in day to day use means you have a lot of free RAM.

I genuinely believe people will be generally surprised with the N8 and other Symbian^3 devices. They are lovely devices and the N8 especially is the most amazing camera and video phone I have ever seen!

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin can you please comment on the price, 429 and why the N8 costs so much? Other retailers are selling the phone sim-free for less than this. Do you not feel you're being a bit greedy?

For example: It's 459 on Nokia France which works out at 382 - the French price includes their equivalent of VAT. It's 479 (399) on Nokia Germany and Nokia Netherlands, 469 (390) on Nokia Spain and Nokia Italy. How the hell can Nokia justify a mark up of 50 in the UK?

390 would be a fairer price. I can't see how Nokia expect to price the N8 at anything above 479/400 on the UK site and get away with it.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Davescot is on a distinguished road
Another case of rip off Britain. What do you expect. I wont be pre ordering either at that price, knock a 100 quid off and I might be interested.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
KPOM

Now that the release date is near, we'll finally get to see if the phone starts to turn around Nokia's fortunes in the high end. There's a lot riding on this phone, even if Nokia refuses to call it a flagship.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
well the E7 looks a more compelling device in my view but hey

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
"...reflected in the pricing being at the upper end of expectations."

Tech-speak for:

"...much more than was originally implied, when people mentioned that aside from the camera, the phone is fairly dated in terms of other hardware and specs, and thus Nokia were reflecting this with a 'really keen launchprice', so as to ensure maximum uptake"

Whatever happened to that notion?

For sure, at this price, I won't be moving BACK to Symbian from my Android HTC Desire I finally moved to after near 12 years with Nokia almost exclusively...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

All these people talking about the price, have you never seen a Nokia phone launch before? This pre-order price is not what the phone will sell for when it settles into the market, it will drop significantly. It always happens.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Price

@snoFlake: Well in my country, Denmark, the price is exactly what they promised - 460 Euros incl. VAT (which is 25% in Denmark).

Besides, even if the N8 is the same price as the Desire, there is no contest. The N8 wins by a wide margin - at least for my uses.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
well the E7 looks a more compelling device in my view but hey
I agree, apart from the camera I am preferring the E7. However, I am going to skip all ^3 devices in favour of ^4, as many non-Nokia handset makers are doing too.