All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
JulyPlayer debuts

It seems CorePlayer (among other apps) has new competition on S60 - JulyPlayer is now available, in version 1 form, for both S60 3rd Edition and 5th Edition and claims to play an impressive list of video formats. Trial versions let you test file compatibility and full versions are $10. It's early days though and both the interface and player performance looked like they could do with a lot of feedback from you guys (via their new forums) and subsequent iteration. See below for some screens. Comments welcome if you've tried it yet.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Enizmitic is on a distinguished road
hmm

I have just finished trying this application with an i8910 (I know it has a video player with built in divx support). Installs ok, but had some serious issues with playing a couple of 700MB divx's. Frame rates were appaling and loading and seeking took several seconds. User interface is practically non existent.

They are selling this? For real money?

Last edited by Enizmitic; 25-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Old 25-05-2010, 11:02 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enizmitic View Post
They are selling this? For real money?
Not to be rude, but LOL...

Old 25-05-2010, 11:23 AM
nokindian

Angry Stil very early stages?

ths plyr didnt even ply a file of size 500MB which default player played very comfortably.. also restarts the phone everytime

Old 25-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

i8910 rocks.
It already have a marvellous real player which plays almost all video file types.

Old 25-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

Trial is useless

The trial version is useless, it plays about 20 seconds or a very short time and then stops playing. It is difficult to properly test that it works. You cannot check that it keeps in sink.
Plus had to power off my n97 mini after using it, it was completely unresponsive.

Old 25-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Nick17 is on a distinguished road
I use JulyPlayer on a N96 and it functions just fine.

Where Coreplayer would "stutter" or stop (on low RAM) JulyPlayer "pulls through"..

I like the interface, because you can not only start from files, but also choose for a modus where you can see your files as pics..

Also the app remembers the last position viewed..

I do not understand the other comments.. give the app a fighting chance..
You will be happy do have done it.. I was..

Old 26-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Unregistered

Trial versions!?

Ok, so where are the trial versions!? Did they take them down after Steve posted this or what? I'm not giving them $10 for something that I can't try first. The same goes for any other player (eg. CorePlayer). If I can't try, I won't buy!

Old 26-05-2010, 11:04 AM
ccrobopid

Not ready

I've just installed it because I'm longing for a video player for my 5800xm with divx support.

Sadly I must say it's not ready for prime time.. I've tried a mp4 video which plays just fine with the included real player and I think the frame rate was below 15fps and was badly out of sync with voice. At this stage I don't want this application even for free.

We want divx support for not having to reencode videos.. If a have to downscale them to attain aceptable framerate I can also reencode with the same effort in another format and save the money.

What is happening with nokia this last years? I've not seen a single video player for a nokia S60v5 device which is able to play a 640x480 divx video without sttutering!! That's not very wise for a multimedia phone!
Ads

Old 26-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

They're not really multimedia phones. They have hardware acceleration for some formats (eg. mp4 and H264) but that's about it. They don't really have enough CPU power to do 640x480 in software. If you want a S60V5 phone with enough CPU you need one of the Sony Ericsson or Samsung S60V5 phones. I don't have one of those, so I can't guarantee that they are powerful enough, but in principle they should be!

Old 26-05-2010, 03:21 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
As the i8910 plays most of the formats i have video files in (though mkv support would be nice), i can't see myself dropping money on this. Especially with the initial feedback above.

Old 26-05-2010, 05:26 PM
ccrobopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They're not really multimedia phones. They have hardware acceleration for some formats (eg. mp4 and H264) but that's about it. They don't really have enough CPU power to do 640x480 in software. If you want a S60V5 phone with enough CPU you need one of the Sony Ericsson or Samsung S60V5 phones. I don't have one of those, so I can't guarantee that they are powerful enough, but in principle they should be!
And still there are people here saying that CPUs in N97 and 5800 are ok.. they are ok for a phone, but not for a "smartphone"

Old 26-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Unregistered

You've got 33% more processing power than say a N82 (or a N95), but you've got SLOWER graphics hardware and FOUR times as many pixels to display. That said I've had a quick go with July player and I don't think throwing CPU and graphics power at it will solve all the problems!

Old 21-06-2010, 07:50 AM

mstrpeak is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up just heard tried the new version

they have released a new version 1.02 yesterday, the performance is boosted compared to 1.01, UI is nice too