All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Google Maps 4.1 adds voice searching

Google Maps for S60/Symbian just got itself an update to v4.1. No, not free real time navigation - that's still coming for Symbian - but voice searching, along the same lines as its existing Google Search applet. Just hold down the green (Call) key and say what you'd like to search for, etc. There are also minor updates to its Settings menu and a new 'Report a problem' function. Some quotes and screenshots below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-04-2010, 08:38 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I`ve read in a couple of places that Google have just introduced free Navigation on Maps for Uk?

Old 22-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

why is it that when you go into the maps app it doesn't promt you to update to the new version? that would be real helpful!
Ads

Old 22-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Kambanka

We are also waiting for cahced maps data

Old 22-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Cache maps

Until Google Maps lets me pre-download maps, like Ovi Maps does, I don't even have it installed on my phone. I don't care what else it can do, without cached maps, it's worthless.

Old 22-04-2010, 09:49 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Google may not have cached maps or turn by turn yet, but i find its search to be much better than OVI. For my needs, I have to have both on my phone. I wish there was a way to snyc bookmarks between the 2. Then I would search on google, bookmark where I want to go and then fire up OVI, resync the newly added bookmark through google, use my cached maps and turn by turn to get where I want to go... :P

Aaah, the ideal world....

Old 22-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
Viewranger caches OpenStreetMap, so I am using that as a backup to Ovi Maps. Rarely use search so no Google Maps on my phone.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

It seems to be generally accepted now that Google maps is a waste of space. In more ways than one.

Old 22-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

> Real time voice navigation has been added to Google Maps for Android (for supported countries) and it's surely only now a matter of time before this hits Symbian.

a.) Do we care when Ovi Maps is technically better in multiple ways and gives more extensive coverage by far? (well, I suppose some choice is always a good thing)

b.) Is free Google Nav really likely on Symbian? Are they not using it as a selling point for Android. Android is already pretty pointless and exceeded by Symbian in every way, so offering Google Nav would just be them putting another nail in their own coffin.

Old 22-04-2010, 11:58 AM

expalmandse is on a distinguished road
GM Useful/Friendly

"Unregistered: It seems to be generally accepted now that Google maps is a waste of space. In more ways than one. "

GM is still extremelly useful for 2 reasons. Effectiveness at search and, sometime more importantly, just how straight forward and friendly it is.

I am still amazed at how OviM gets more functionallity while it looses friendliness. You turn it in and it does NOT show the map!. Where you are on the map and want to go to a place previously searched then you need to push a lot of buttons. It does do it, but certainly not an strimlined experience. ALso, there are inconsistencies with maps rotating and zooming on their own. Let me clarify I use the S60v3 version.

GM is still pretty consistent and quick. FI I'm in a hurry I certainly use GM. When on roaming, and I forgot to load the map onto OviM, I certainly go fo rGM.

Last, and off topic, when will OviM suite tell what map/voices I DO have in the mobile?

Old 22-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by expalmandse View Post
I am still amazed at how OviM gets more functionallity while it looses friendliness. You turn it in and it does NOT show the map!. ?

LOL that's hilarious as a comparison to Google Maps. Turn on Google Maps and YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE APP TO DISCOVER WHERE IT IS AND THEN START DOWNLOADING THE MAP.

If you are out of signal area, bad luck.

Now THAT's unfriendly.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

>malerocks - I wish there was a way to snyc bookmarks between the 2.

We lost this with v3.3. But if you search you can still find the sis file for 3.2.1 - this is the latest I've been able to find that stores points in the nokia landmarks section, ready to pick up in ovi maps. Until this feature is restored, I won't be updating...

As for caching maps, I assume this can't happen due to the type of map data GM uses. It's not scaleable data like OM. This is one of those things I understand in my head but fail totally to put into meaningful words...

I've taken to installing GM on the memory card, and using my spare data allowance to cache useful places at various levels, but it's far from ideal.

Old 23-04-2010, 05:36 PM
_fakefur

well i have google maps on my HTC Desire and it certainly rocks and all that BUT i have to agree with the others who say that until it allows pre-loading of maps it is of rather limited use outside of one's home country because of data roaming charges

of course if you buy unlocked handsets and use local SIM cards when travelling it can be more useful and not require a second mortgage

ovi maps on my N86 is very useful because of the pre-loadable maps but the search really isn't in the same league as google

i guess it's nice to have both

Old 23-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

b.) Is free Google Nav really likely on Symbian? Are they not using it as a selling point for Android. Android is already pretty pointless and exceeded by Symbian in every way, so offering Google Nav would just be them putting another nail in their own coffin.
Google's bread and butter is finding more ways to sell ad space. If they think that Google Navigation on Symbian will sell more ads, I'll bet you that they'll go there.

Android and Chrome is Google's hedge that computing is migrating from the PC to mobile (phones, tablets, netbooks), and they're right. It's why they license Anroid for free to manufacturers. The end game is all about advertising dollars.

Old 24-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fakefur View Post
well i have google maps on my HTC Desire and it certainly rocks and all that BUT i have to agree with the others who say that until it allows pre-loading of maps it is of rather limited use outside of one's home country because of data roaming charges

of course if you buy unlocked handsets and use local SIM cards when travelling it can be more useful and not require a second mortgage

ovi maps on my N86 is very useful because of the pre-loadable maps but the search really isn't in the same league as google

i guess it's nice to have both
It's not roaming that is the real problem. I've been all round the world and I've yet to find the place where the cell networks are reliable enough and quick enough to support downloading tiles on the go. Especially in the more remote areas away from the network where you are most likely to actually need a navigational aid.

For example, in New York City, OK, sometimes a bit slow. Down the interstate to Syracuse, OK, mostly. Sometimes you are looking at a blank gray map. Of the 90 northwards towards Lake Ontario, nothing, Nada. Have to break out the AAA book.

Same thing has happened to me in Snowdonia, Wales, Northern France and Southern Ireland. Can you imagine what it would be like in the middle of Australia?

Google maps = lame.