All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
N-Gage announcements at Nokia Games Summit

There have been quite a few new games announced in connection with today's Nokia Games Summit, including FIFA09, Spore Origins, Monopoly Here & Now World Edition, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Boom Blox and The Sims 3 from Electronic Arts, Tomb Raider Underworld and Pandemonium from Eidos, Nokia's own Dance Fabulous, and Gameloft's Asphalt 4 and Real Football 2009. You can find out more about all of these by heading over to our sister site All About N-Gage.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Nokia is finally admitting that nobody wants to play games on their phones, see: http://mobile.reuters.com/mobile/m/F...49S39D20081029

It's funny how the real news is never mentioned on this site. Unless I missed that post. Why would people torture themselves and play games on a 2 inch screen?
Ads

Old 30-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Arthur, did you actually read that link you posted?

You go round complaining about us not doing our homework when you obviously didn't even try to do yours.

Allow me to quote from the article:

Quote:
According to research firm Informa the mobile gaming market did not grow in 2007 after years of double-digit growth.
Nokia's N-Gage platform launched in 2008, AFTER the period that the article is talking about. If you'd read the article you'd know that, because it mentions the platform's launch six months ago.

The original gen N-Gage was discontinued in 2006, BEFORE the period that the article is talking about.

Given that they weren't releasing anything game related in 2007, it's difficult to see how Nokia had anything to do with a gaming slump that year.

The only thing Nokia "admits" is that the global economic slowdown will hurt mobile gaming, but it's difficult to see how that's their fault either. Or did they cause Lehman Bros to collapse?

The article is actually just a general forecast for mobile gaming, saying it's a tough marketplace but that recent developments (including the new N-Gage platform and iPhone) may boost it, but the overall global economic problems may harm it.

It mentions the N-Gage game announcements, but that's not really anything to do with the slump news, and we already covered the announcements elsewhere.

Quote:
Why would people torture themselves and play games on a 2 inch screen?
(sigh) Because not everyone can afford a 600 euro device.

You might not have noticed this but most people buy phones with 2 inch screens, and if they fancy a quick game of Tetris while waiting for a bus, what's wrong with that?

One of the best phones I ever used was the 6120 and that has a 2 inch screen, and it certainly wasn't "torture" to use. A good game makes the best of whatever hardware it's written for, and phone games are no exception.

Quote:
It's funny how the real news is never mentioned on this site
All About Symbian is, surprisingly, about Symbian related news. N-Gage uses the Symbian platform so we report it.

If there was an article saying N-Gage and/or Symbian game sales had slumped we'd report that too, but the 2007 gaming slump is nothing to do with N-Gage for the reasons outlined above (i.e. N-Gage didn't exist in 2007).

Old 30-10-2008, 01:58 AM

Alexis mil is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hehe , nice one Tzer2 , you are right , we people do play games on our mobile phones , because we like , and we dont care the size of the screen as long as we have a nice timekilling game! , i actually own a N82 , and i dont care about the screen , i dont care about nothing , just having a nice entertaining game , thats all i want for my spare time!

Keep up the good work AAS Team!

Old 30-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
For me it looks more like Ngage is finally taking off - Sounds like there are more than 15 or 20 titles coming up in the next months. What I am missing, though, is some strategy game... Civ Revolutions would be great

Old 30-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
That's fine Tzer2... isn't it funny how quickly the fanboys get upset and then write novels to defend their gods?