All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OFCOM has ruled that its ok to use it, as the 'fair use policy' (FUP) seems to be a get around.
That's a real fudge though, because there's no such thing as a "fair" amount of data on modern mobile devices. Even normal users doing normal things may well go through their limits quite quickly.

The fair use ought to be defined in such a way that if more than a certain percentage go over the limit on an "unlimited" plan, then the limit would have to be lifted until it only covered exceptionally heavy users (say the top 1% or 2%). That way any limits on supposedly unlimited plans would be much closer to the spirit of "fair use".
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Sorry but some of what is being said is just wrong i have spoken to VodaFone just a short while ago. I am in month six of a 12 month contract and have been able to change to one of these new plans but had to stay at the same spend level. As i have no use for all my texts or minutes and it is mainly texts that seem to be reduced this is a great deal for me and means on the odd occasions i am away from Wifi i can allow my Seven Push E-Mail to now roam at no cost plus of course can do some browsing if i need to. The other point to remember is that VodaFone are offering the best speeds for HSDPA unlike T-Mobiles that is capped and it's not even worth mentioning 02's slow speeds although i am and not sure about Oranges.

Marc

Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Good timing for me, at least, as I'll have had my Vodafone contract for 9 months next week ;-)

Julie

Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Fair use is still a bit of a misnomer... it's a 500MB limit, that's it. No fair about it, if you use 500MB you're getting charged for more... it's a limit!

Orange, 3 & O2 are the same, their limits are LIMITS! The only one who's limit is actually "fair use" is T-Mobile, as it states quite clearly in their T&Cs that they will only start to throttle your bandwidth when you exceed your "limit", not charge you more for it.

UK networks are taking the preverbial when it comes to data packages, and none of them are really trying to match WebnWalk, other than 3.

Incidently, using the coverage argument against T-Mobile really doesn't work any longer; especially not so when their site & transmitter sharing deal with 3 comes on stream later this year.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
One thing important to note is the tariff change only applies if you are moving down a tariff level. Switching on the same level, or moving up, doesn't incur a penalty.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

E61DRC is on a distinguished road
Does this apply to the pay-monthly sim-only deals?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Everything is pretty much covered here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1711

Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM

auntiewiv is on a distinguished road
I called Vodafone today to change to one of the new plans but was told that changing plans would add 6 months to my contract. But the 500mb allowance is being applied to exsisting customers who have the 7.50 data bundle already - Like me. So I'm not gonna change anything until the end of my contract period.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Unprofessional reporting

In my opinion title of this news is quite misleading reporting. Even the Vodafone press release doesn't argue it's unlimited data, but instead it's "unlimited" with asterisk and there's a clear note of the 500 MB/month limit.

For laptop users 500 MB/month is far from unlimited, and as unlimited is also available, I don't see the point for this kind of title.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Reading through the forum postings in the link above, Vodafone staff have confirmed that it is a "Fair usage" type deal, i.e. you won't be charged the instant you go over 500Mb unless you do it regularly, and they'll warn you first.

This is in line with landline Broadband Fair Usage policies.

Apparently, the 6 month extension to your contract only applies if you transfer to a tariff that wasn't available at the time you took out your original contract. There is no penalty if you transfer to an "old" tariff, and you can still add the 5 data plan to those.

Anybody already receiving 120Mb as part of their contract will automatically get shifted to the 500Mb Fair Usage data plan from this month. If you're paying 7.50 for data as an add-on, you can call them and get this changed to 5, but you have to continue to pay the 5 until the end of your contract. If you stick with 7.50, then you can stop paying the 7.50 for data at any time. Either way you get "Unlimited with 500Mb fair usage" instead of 120Mb and getting charged the instant you go over 120Mb.

(This is a quick summary of the information I've gleaned from reading through the forum postings.)

Julie

Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Julie,

Sorry but you are wrong as i have just got off the phone from VodaFone who have confirmed that i am now on the new price plan at the same spend pm. This was done in month 6 of a 12 month contract with no extension needed and no penalty either.

All it has cost me is some texts being removed from my plan also i have now been told that just like T-Mobile it is 500mb fair use Policy and the first time i go over it i will get a warning but incur no charges. Only if i then continue to go over the allowance will i get charged anything extra. As the calls are recorded and i have made a Calender entry of the time i feel quite safe it won't cost me anything extra.

Marc

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Good news then!
Ads

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM

Terry1100 is on a distinguished road
I'm OK here - I am on the old "Anytime 200" tariff (200 shared any network minutes (2 handsets) and no inclusive texts and the add-on 7.50 data tariff.).

As part of this new contracts, I get upgraded to 500 minutes and 200 texts as well as increasing from 120Mb to 500Mb

All for the same money. Now although I take the point about "unlimited" data , I can hardly complain.

If Vodafone were a bank or building society, they'd leave me on the "old" scheme indefinitely.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM

D4n958GB is on a distinguished road
Hold your horses, i wouldnt get to excited. The current plan which i have with my contract gives you 120mb under the old unlimited internet; However this only applies to wap sites or site designed for mobiles. As soon as you go onto a full blown web page, like that of which you would view on a pc or laptop, you will get charged.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
No, thats not right. The 120MB was for anything, and the 500MB is for anything. Check the link posted earlier in the thread, it links to vodafone forums and one of the staff saying the data is for anything.