All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-03-2008, 10:21 AM

erehman is on a distinguished road
Talking Nightmare! WiFi on N95

Connecting N95 to a wired PC with DSL or LAN internet through USB WiFi Adapter is becoming a nightmare for me. I have purchased a USB WiFi adapter, installed it on my PC with Windows XP. I am able to connect N95 to WiFi adapter, connection is established, but N95 is not routed to LAN/ DSL internet. I am unable to configure PC and N95. I don't know how to share internet through WiFi adapter. I have already activated internet sharing, but always get "no gateway reply". I am still in a fix whether it should be "Adhoc" or "infrastructure" connection on N95 and PC.
What I did on N95 is as follows:

Tools->Settings->Connection->Access points
Options and Select "New access point"
Connection Name enter the name you would like the WLAN connection to be known as on your phone - THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS THE SSID
For Data Bearer choose "Wireless LAN"
For "WLAN Network Name" enter the SSID (Make sure you match the case on your router)
For "Network Status" choose Public
For "WLAN Network Mode" choose Infrastructure "But it never connects to WiFi adapter in this mode and so have to change it to Adhoc on N95. But I tried both on wireless connection on PC.
For "WLAN security mode" choose WEP
Click on WLAN Security settings
WEP Key in use - choose number 1
Authentication type - choose shared
WEP Key settings
WEP encryption - choose 128 bits or
whatever it is set to on
your router
WEP key format - choose hexadecimal or
whatever it is set to on
your router
WEP key - enter WEP key
Homepage - this isn't important

It did not work. Then I followed this procedure.

You need to define the "gateway" itself in the advance settings of the phone. This is in the connections -> access points -> " YOUR ACCESS POINT " -> select "options" on your network name - this will take you to advanced options and then select "IPv4 settings" this will allow you to assign your phone an IP address and to also enter the gateway IP from your router ( usually something like 192.168.1.1 for the router )

To get the details for your phone, Go to your PC / laptop, Start -> Run -> type 'CMD' -> In the DOS window type ' ipconfig /all '
You will notice that in the command prompt window, you have your router details like IP address and so on, you need to enter the details into your N95 on the IPv4 settings page.

If the CMD prompt window shows your computer IP address as something like 192.168.1.2 then enter a IP address on the N95 like 192.168.1.6 (just a few numbers higher, if you have two or three other machines on the network, this will still be high enough not to mess up their assigned IP adresses from the DHCP server, which will be in assending sequence - 1,2,3 etc.). This will give you a static IP adress for the phone, so the DHCP problem will no longer affect it.

Thats all on N95. But it did not work either. I know N95 is not routed to LAN/ DSL internet, and there is something to be done on PC.

On PC I setup a new wireless connection, tried both Adhoc and Infrastructure but of no use.
Please someone tell me where am I wrong.
Ads

Old 19-03-2008, 10:37 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
The settings on the pc for the wireless should be ad-hoc and for setting up purposes, keep it open (no security or authentication (ie wep)).

On your PC wireless (ad-Hoc) connection, make the SSID as "test" (without " " ).

Now through "control panel> network and internet connections> network connections" right click and enable "internet connection sharing " (NOTE: see 3shirts post following)

Now on your phone, Search for wlan and select the "test" connection that we created. After that access point is defined, exit out of the browser on your phone and go into the IPv4 settings as before and enter what you had before:

if your computer ip address is 192.168.1.2 then enter 192.168.1.5 on your phone and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of either 192.168.1.2 or enter the same as on your pc (IE 192.168.1.1 or whatever your router is). Enter the same for your DNS as that of your default gateway.

Exit out of those settings on your phone and try to connect to "test" and surf the internet.
If your "test" connection works, you can then go back on your pc and enable security (ie WEP ) and use the same key on your phone (remember that you may enter an ASCII (text) value on your PC but you may have to enter the HEX value on your phone).

If this does not work, feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Last edited by waxup; 19-03-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: simpler instructions.

Old 19-03-2008, 10:39 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Firstly, it should be ad-hoc.
If your N95 seems to connect (you get the little wifi logo of 4 squares and a padlock) but you get no internet, try this:

Open network connections on the PC. Right click the one you want to/have shared and go to properties. Click advanced, tick both the Internet Connection Sharing options and then click Advanced.

In here, you need to tick all the services you want to share. You probably only need Web Server (HTTP) and Secure Web Server (HTTPS) but you might also want to to IMAP, POP3 and SMTP if you plan to do email stuff on the phone as well. Each time you tick on you'll get the settings dialog for it, just leave it all default and hit on each time.

@ Waxup, leaving it unsecured is very dodgy (unless you mean for testing purposes) as anyone could jump on and access your connection. Also, don't bridge the network connections, there is no need and it can cause a lot of issues.

Last edited by 3Shirts; 19-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Old 20-03-2008, 11:09 AM

erehman is on a distinguished road
WiFi N95! Any Suggestion?

I configured an Adfoc WiFi connection on PC. N95 recognized that connection. When I clicked n95 to connect to web using that connection (I did not set up any access point on N95), it began connecting. But after a while said "No internet server found" This I did according to the suggestion of my friend 3Shirts. But N95 never open its browser this way.

Please let me know that is this really possible for me to connect N95 to the wired DSL internet of PC through USB WiFi Adapter which is used to receive WiFi and connect PC to wireless internet. I still do not know how this WiFi adater will route my N95 to the wired DSL internet of PC?

I have uploaded the manual of my USB WiFi Adapter to this site. You can downlaoad it by clicking "Free" on the Rapidshare page. Please look through this manual and let me know is it really possible to connect my N95 to wired DSL through this WiFi dongle? And please guide me what to do for this task to be done.

I am really in trouble not to be able to connect my N95 to high speed internet. I can only pray for those who are helping me in this regard.

You can download manual from this site:
http://rapidshare.com/files/10093762...122_manual.pdf

Please help so that I may achieve my dream to do internet on N95

Old 20-03-2008, 12:48 PM

mgreen21 is on a distinguished road
same issue

i had the same problem. always with the no gate way reply. would connect to the pc no problem but i couldt get on the net no matter what i did.

i managed once for about 10 mins but very slow with my firewall off on my pc. then it stopped again i turned it back on and it worked for about the same again. and i went on like that for a while.

in the end i gave up and bought a wireless router. no pc involved now and i havnt had a problem since.

Old 28-12-2008, 05:48 PM

billman87 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb N95 Ad-hoc Wifi and DHCP

The problem we have with N95s wifi is that it requires a requires a DHCP server to receive the correct IP, DNS, and Gateway address. I have over come this running a DHCP server on my PC first then connecting the N95.

However this can be complicated and error prone.

I have used ALAK and Tiny DHCP but Vista has problems with these.

When I find a Vista compatible DHCP server I will post it here.

Old 28-12-2008, 09:14 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Personally I'd recommend spending the $25 USD on getting a low end router to do it all. Simply for these reasons:

1) NAT/Firewall protects your machines from the internet (no need for personal firewalls)
2) DHCP is preconfigured
3) Always on (you dont have to turn your machine on the get net access) - or can be configured to connect upon access
4) Higher levels of security (I believe that Ad-Hoc has limitations on what wireless security can be used - WEP128 which can be cracked by experts in less than 5 minutes). Otherwise WPA1/2 modes is a lot better for security. Also, there is no way to hide the SSID broadcast in Ad-Hoc (so any Joe can see it).
5) Pretty easy to set up - MUCH easier than to set up Routing (NAT)/ ICS in Windows..
6) even if your connection is already an Ethernet and you want to get it to become wireless, most routers have wireless bridging modes too..

With the Post-Xmas sales, you are bound to get something for cheap.. Just one of those things where you cant go wrong seriously.. No real excuse not to get one..

Old 29-12-2008, 12:41 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman87 View Post
The problem we have with N95s wifi is that it requires a requires a DHCP server to receive the correct IP, DNS, and Gateway address. I have over come this running a DHCP server on my PC first then connecting the N95.

However this can be complicated and error prone.

I have used ALAK and Tiny DHCP but Vista has problems with these.

When I find a Vista compatible DHCP server I will post it here.
You can manually set your IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS addresses through your N95 by selecting your access point and then selecting "options, Advanced settings, IPv4 Settings"

But I also second buying a 802.11 b/g/n router.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.