All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Majik is on a distinguished road
Complete Novice To Debranding Here

Hi, new to the board and new to the whole concept of debranding my phone.

I recently received a Nokia N95 8 Gig as an upgrade from O2 and whilst there are a fair few threads on debranding there's nothing specific to my problem, either that or I've overlooked them I've not even turned the phone on yet so I couldn't lose any personal data.

What will I lose from the phone if I debrand it exactly? I know the loss of all O2 based applications will go but I still want to keep O2 as my provider, maybe just take all their crap off the phone and speed it up.

Will any applications not work and am I running a fine line by doing this, or is debranding the best thing that I could ever do to the phone lol?

Basically what's the good and bad points of debranding? It won't do anything silly like stop me from accessing Wifi or anything will it?

Thanks for your patience and I appreciate the time given to guide the ignorant like myself

Old 13-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Mass is on a distinguished road
Not trying to hijack your thread or anything but I am in the same position of wanting to update the firmware on my N95-8GB but I'm on 3. When I want to access the net, will that be screwed up and will I have to go back and manually setup the connections etc? Will I lose access tot he bolts ons that I got with the X-series such as MSN or Skype?

Thanks

Old 13-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
the O2 upgrade is simple, as O2 dont plaster their phones with gumpf. You'll still be in O2, that wont change.

RE: 3. Theres plenty of posts about issues with the upgrade.

One thing though with N958GB people need to take not of it backing up the key for the spiderman movie if they have it... again, have a look in the forum.

Old 13-02-2008, 08:57 PM

kn751 is on a distinguished road
Thanks kontraband, that's useful, especially as my 8Gb is an O2 as well.

Can't quite understand this Spiderman thing though - if you've seen it already, why do you want to keep it if it's hogging real estate? Cos it's free? It'll be £3:00 in Tesco for the DVD in a couple of months...

KN

Last edited by kn751; 13-02-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling errors!

Old 13-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn751 View Post
Thanks kontraband, that's useful, especially as my 8Gb is an O2 as well.

Can't quite understand this Spiderman thing though - if you've seen it already, why do you want to keep it if it's hogging real estate? Cos it's free? It'll be 3:00 in Tesco for the DVD in a couple of months...

KN
Hey, I agree... I mean, if it was a better movie.. maybe... but spiderman. BLAH

Theres plenty of forums on the net that will tell you the darker side of getting you chosen movie on to your N95 with ease.

But we are well behaved here, and dont condone such issues!

Old 13-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Ok, well I've decided I'm going to unbrand my phone but I couldn't see any info regarding what I need to backup. Maybe I'm blind but when I finish updating the firmware, is there anything I need to do to be able to access the net again? And will I be able to visit Planet3 to view stuff on there or will that be like MSN and no longer work?

Old 13-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

cant answer on the 3 questions... best see if you can find a 3 user in the forum for that one

Old 13-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Any 3 users able to help me on this one at all? Any help would be great-ta

Old 14-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Nokia PC Suite doesn't appear to be working correctly, after I've installed and restarted I get the following popup;

Which I know is definitely related to PC Suite as it's only started happening since I installed the apps.

Therein the connection manager wouldn't let me configure the USB cable connection, only the serial one, which I don't have.

Any advice? Apologies for the ignorance, but if I'm going to debrand and update the phone I need to ensure I do it properly and that everything's in perfect working order.

Also will I need to install any applications again, such as maps etc?

Old 14-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
The phone has an application that autosetups GPRS/MMS settings. Not sure about 3 but it works for Orange and T-Mobile and should work for O2

Old 14-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Again, thanks for all your help so far guys.

Any advice as to what to do regarding that error message, and applications/settings I'll need to replace manually after I debrand?

I'm thinking of giving the Nokia Care team a ring after work to see if they can diagnose the root of that error, just wanted some advice before I choose to do that though.

Cheers.

Old 14-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

You need to remove all your nokia installs thru control panel, then re-install the PCSuite software and try that.

There are some user that have reported confilct problems which have been sorted after removing any other nokia software.

ALSO, what unplugged said is true, but sometimes you still may need to call your s.p. to get the latest settings sent.

Old 14-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Cheers Kontraband, that's how I initially removed the programs though!

I had an N95 which O2 upgraded to the 8 gig version, so I thought I'd wipe all reminents of PC Suite off my PC before installing the software to the 8 gig, as I had previous cable driver problems.

However the initial install stated the applications had been succesful, though upon restarting my computer I was presented with that error message.

Old 14-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

what version PCSuite is it??

Old 14-02-2008, 10:08 AM

You've stumped me on that one fella, I'm at work!

The initial version of PC Suite I had on my PC was the one on the CD supplied with the N95, and I don't remember upgrading it! Then I tried to delete that version in order to provide a clean platform for installing the version supplied on my N95 8 Gig CD.
Ads