All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-03-2008, 05:11 PM

RaeesD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
From what sources did you get all tihs? I feel that those sorces are Un-reliable.
There's no catch about the 3G here with N73 nor the software optimizations.

The only diffrence is Music edition (Black) or not.
My uncle happens to be a Cellphone dealer, so I hope the confusion ends here........
From what i'v read all over the net orestes is right. I have a normal silver N73 and it's RM-133...nothing to do with ME or not...(and he didn't say the hardware was different, but clearly the firmware is)

Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 AM

bhvm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeesD View Post
From what i'v read all over the net orestes is right. I have a normal silver N73 and it's RM-133...nothing to do with ME or not...(and he didn't say the hardware was different, but clearly the firmware is)
Yes,the base hardware is same.
Some people have easily flashed regular Silver N73s with Music Firmware.
RM-133 is music firmware, and also compatiable with regualr N73

Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM

ridahk is on a distinguished road
Thank You

Old 25-04-2008, 10:01 AM

vijaykakad is on a distinguished road
dear,
i own a black n73 which is rm133`
quite a few of my friends own regular n73(silver,plum;red,white versions)`
they all are rm 132
there is nothing about the 3g issue here.all n73s support 3g . We are indians and 3g networks are not yet available.but n73s irrespective of their firmware,fully supports 3g

please confirm the facts before posting,you better not confuse these noobs here.

i didnt say n73 didnt support 3g...
it's just that the product code determine the software capability
it's like 132 is unregistered to use the 3g by default..and often seen within phone in the countries that didnt use 3g widely..
From what sources did you get all tihs? I feel that those sorces are Un-reliable.

My uncle happens to be a Cellphone dealer, so I hope the confusion ends here........

@BHVM

well i happen to have N73-5 RM 132 and i got comfirmed by Nokia itself that it does not support 3G/WCDMA. here is the Nokia mail pasted for ur info.

"Dear Mr. Kakad,

Thank you for e-mailing Nokia Care.

This e-mail is in reference to the phone software of Nokia N73. . We regret the inconvenience caused due to misinformation provided in our previous mail. We would like to inform you that RM-132 phone type is meant only for India.

Further, you may kindly note that N73 with phone type RM-132 does not support WCDMA.

For further enquiries, please feel free to contact our Technical Support blah blah blah"

Nokia is not in postition to tell me if they can replace my handset with a RM 133 one.

Now my que is will i be able to convert my RM 132 handset to Rm 133 version ???

Old 25-04-2008, 02:52 PM

You should be able to since the hardware is the same... i think. Try changing your product code and updating the firmware with some other country's
Ads

Old 26-04-2008, 09:06 AM

ouq77 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is this not a NEW FIRMWARE thread?

Please note, there is a PHONE ISSUES & PROBLEMS thread going.
There's also a thread for PRODUCT CODES & what it supports, etc.

This thread was intended to keep track of new firmware releases & possible bugs in new releases. NOT a forum for discussing phone capabilities, etc.

It's rather annoying going through pages of who thinks what, just to see if new firmware has been released.

I happened to be one of the poor victims of 4.0750 (pulled shortly after release), which makes restoring phone backups impossible, amongst other things.

So everytime I get an e-mail that there's been a new post to this thread, I get very excited, thinking that new firmware has been released.

Thanks guys. Don't want to moan, but sure some of you will agree with me.

Cheers

Last edited by ouq77; 26-04-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: More detail added

Old 27-04-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykakad View Post
dear,
i own a black n73 which is rm133`
quite a few of my friends own regular n73(silver,plum;red,white versions)`
they all are rm 132
there is nothing about the 3g issue here.all n73s support 3g . We are indians and 3g networks are not yet available.but n73s irrespective of their firmware,fully supports 3g

please confirm the facts before posting,you better not confuse these noobs here.

i didnt say n73 didnt support 3g...
it's just that the product code determine the software capability
it's like 132 is unregistered to use the 3g by default..and often seen within phone in the countries that didnt use 3g widely..

@BHVM

well i happen to have N73-5 RM 132 and i got comfirmed by Nokia itself that it does not support 3G/WCDMA. here is the Nokia mail pasted for ur info.

"Dear Mr. Kakad,

Thank you for e-mailing Nokia Care.

This e-mail is in reference to the phone software of Nokia N73. . We regret the inconvenience caused due to misinformation provided in our previous mail. We would like to inform you that RM-132 phone type is meant only for India.

Further, you may kindly note that N73 with phone type RM-132 does not support WCDMA.

For further enquiries, please feel free to contact our Technical Support blah blah blah"

Nokia is not in postition to tell me if they can replace my handset with a RM 133 one.

Now my que is will i be able to convert my RM 132 handset to Rm 133 version

???
O ho!
so its Nokia behind the conspirancy here!
They keep boasting about the 'excellent' 3G capacities on N73 in general!
Its nowhere mentioned by them that RM132 was a Non 3g one!
What made me more angry that even dealers(My uncle) was too unaware of the catch. The specs for 'ALL' N73 are same except for Firmware,Color and package accessories.

And if Rm132 does not have 3G, Whats the front facing camera for? Just to pee on it!?

damm! I HATE YOU NOKIA! Nokia is a CHEAT!

Maybe they should change their name to something like...
BOKIA- Disconnecting People.

Old 28-04-2008, 03:02 PM

coldabhishek is on a distinguished road
I agree with ouq77.This thread is only for discussing about new firmwares and sorry if I am replying here.

I have figured out a way to convert the N73-5 RM-132 which is a Non-3G variant to N73-1 RM-133.

Visit the thread below:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=72134

Please stop replying to this thread if you are a N73-5 RM-132 owner and cannot see the UMTS and Dual band options in Network menu.This problem is now fixed by me.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:48 AM

ciprip is on a distinguished road
New firmware ?

Hey guys,
I just updated to V 4.0812.4.2.1 on a RM-133
Any info on that ?

Old 24-05-2008, 01:07 PM

texx is on a distinguished road
I had to try a few different products code to get it, but finally found that 0527009 works :-)

Nokia N73 software version 4.0812.4.x released - 22 May 2008
This software version includes support for mobile TV (when used with SU-33W receiver)* and Express Mail clients. This release also includes updates and improvements to Nokia Maps and improved Java support.

Changelog:

-DVB-H: Support for the DVB-H BT module (SU-33W receiver). This allows DVB-H video stream to be sent via BT to the terminal and enables Mobile TV reception in the device at the rate of 25-30 fps.
-Future Support for Express Mail Client: Defines UID for Freestyle Email client in N-Series devices. This will provide a superior user experienceby integrating Freestyle Email and offering Intellisync based push email solution.
-Full Support for Java Apps on Active Idle and Softkeys: This allows Java applications to be assigned to one of the Soft-keys out of the box.
-Maps: Baseline update to 1.2ww48 release. General error fixes.
-MTV DVB-H Subscription: DVBH subscriptions can be done on Nokia terminals using WAP proxy
-MTV: Updating the help content
-Update of MTV to MBC 4.1 level: Incorporates feature improvements required by many new operators. Also includes error corrections required by current MTV customers.

Error corrections:
-Phone crash and reboot issues
-Phone hangs when a broken video clip is tried to be viewed
-Exiting Maps stalls the phone
-Problem with call not being able to be made from Maps
-Problem with downloading a big video file
-MTV not recovering after a lost signal
-Viewing a received SMS with 158 section number SIM in Xinjiang province.
-Streaming of AAC+ and eAAC+ content is not implemented correctly.
-RealOne Player goes into an infinite loop when a corrupted RTCP packet is received.
-MTV is not brought back after a voice call ends
-DVB-H - RO not delivered
-DVB-H – Issues with subscription
-DVB-H - Usage tracking crashes the phone
-Message receiving stops even when sufficient memory is available
-DVB-H – Picture jams totally after an hour ov viewing Isma 313
-Memory leak issues in H264 depacketizer
-Wrongly configured audio profile for eAAC+ radio channel results in hangs and resets
-Distortion of Email text field
-DVB-H – Signal scan dialog is not closed during a voice call
-DVB-H – Switching off accessory during ESG update causes problems
-DVB-H – No Channel is displayed after initial scan
-MTV jams when activating speech
-DVB-H – Stream does not recover if BT is switched off with MTV in the background
-SMS cannot be received
-DVB-H – MTV Preview does not stop at 1 minute
-DVB-H – Some -letters missing from mobile TV application menus
-DVB-H – Incoming voice call gets displayed as video call while watching mobile TV
-DVB-H – Programs can be subscribed even the whole channel has been subscribed before
-DVB-H – Streaming is not resumed after having MT/MO voice or video calls.
-DVB-H – Subscribtion retrieval does not work after factory reset
-DVB-H – Content of SMS trigged by interactive service is missing in BCAST ESG
-DVB-H – Missing MTV help files for French, Italian and Croatian
-DVB-H – MBS3.3 (BCAST) Forward compatibility problem
-DVB-H – Enabling of SIM Lock feature
-DSP Changes to Support N73 Dual Feed Antenna

Last edited by texx; 24-05-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Old 29-05-2008, 10:44 PM

This new firmware (4.0812.4.0.1) sucks, before (w/ 4.0735.3.0.2) after startup i had 20 to 21MB free ram and settled down to 13 or so, now it starts off at under 17 and settles at 8. Wouldn't mind as much if the performance increased too but it's hardly noticeable. No point in being able to run multiple apps if it just closes them in the background without warning!
PS: 4.0812.4.0.1 was released 21-03-2008

Last edited by RaeesD; 29-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Old 31-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeesD View Post
This new firmware (4.0812.4.0.1) sucks, before (w/ 4.0735.3.0.2) after startup i had 20 to 21MB free ram and settled down to 13 or so, now it starts off at under 17 and settles at 8. Wouldn't mind as much if the performance increased too but it's hardly noticeable. No point in being able to run multiple apps if it just closes them in the background without warning!
PS: 4.0812.4.0.1 was released 21-03-2008
thanks so much for letting us know.seems as if v4.08 is not worth an update.and the ram management wits all nokias is still pathetic. Multitasking is just useless as it keeps shutting apps in background. Dann you can't even play music and surf together! Mine is still v4.0736 black

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM

tigerfox is on a distinguished road
multi tasking

bhvm you have big problems with your phone.

I can have music playing while surfing web. and while doing that i can still open camera cover and take some photos. before closing camera and carry on with browsing.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
bhvm you have big problems with your phone.

I can have music playing while surfing web. and while doing that i can still open camera cover and take some photos. before closing camera and carry on with browsing.
Hello there,
Altough 73 v4.07x firmware boasts of some 19mb ram on boot, it still leaks a lot and falls downs to 9~8 Mb soon.
I can multitask when i reboot the phone,but the joy is short lived.Otherwise fine;And yeah, The macro photos from my Phone are the best in world when it comes to Phone cameras.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 PM

tigerfox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
Hello there,
Altough 73 v4.07x firmware boasts of some 19mb ram on boot, it still leaks a lot and falls downs to 9~8 Mb soon.
I can multitask when i reboot the phone,but the joy is short lived.Otherwise fine;And yeah, The macro photos from my Phone are the best in world when it comes to Phone cameras.
Hmmm... not sure there. My multi tasks fine all the time. no need for re-boot. but i do reboot my phone about once every 3 days anyway. Kepps it lasting longer.

However- i have just upgraded firmware on n95 from orange branded v13.0.0.4 to generic v21.0.0.x and not my n95 is running sluggish where before it was instant. so dunno, maybe strange things going on.

By the way, i found that LIFEBLOG, even if you have never used it, causes huge memory consumptio. Dunno why, but the lifeblog hiddem log (y-browser) randomly takes up huge c drive memory which cant be deleted easily (as it says always in use). However i never have ram memory leak problems.