All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
CPU specs for S60 smartphones

I noticed this over the weekend but was away - Forum Nokia has added CPU details for most S60 smartphones to their device pages. Interesting stuff for the geeks among us. Jukka has some starting comments too....

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Darn, I was just about to post this Steve! :-)

Interesting to note that the E90 has a 3D acceleration chip... I assume that's there for the benefit of the high quality video camera rather than gaming?
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 02-04-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
The 3D accelerator is the ARM/IMG MBX processor. This is aimed at mobile gaming and graphics acceleration.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
A 3D chip shouldn't really make any difference to a video camera (unless it's a 3D video camera! Now that would be cool!). I'm sure the 3D chip will support some basic graphics operations that can aide the camera, but they are really just there for in-game graphics.

It's the same as for a PC. A fancy top-of-the-range graphics card won't really help you out with photo's, video etc any better than a really basic graphics card. Any extra performance you do get is more down to the speed of the on-board memory than the chip design.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I was under the impression that 3D chips can be used to help with making video recordings (not the editing or playback, but the actual recording).

If the 3D chip IS only there for games... why? The E90 is the most business-oriented model of the entire Eseries range of business phones, it seems a very unlikely candidate for advanced gaming support.

The 5700 seems a far more likely candidate for gaming support, it looks much more like a phone that a gamer would buy, and it's in a much better price range, yet it doesn't have a 3D chip.

Odd.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned

The 3D processor is actually not a separate chip, but is actually on the same physical chip as the main ARM processor. As far as i'm aware, its the TI OMAP2420 chip.
The OMAP2420 chip is used across the board of the latest Nokia phones, as it make sense just to have to purchase and develop for a single chip.

To summarise, It may have 3D.. but it doesn't mean it will actually be used on all the phones (but the option will always be there). However, there is also the ability for Nokia to have a cool 3D interface like (Mac OS and Vista) because of the 3D hardware.

A 3D accelerator can be used to aid video decoding, as it allows once of the most processor intensive aspects of video decoding (colour space conversion), to be offloaded to the 3D processor.
Not sure how a 3D accelerator could help in image recording though.?.... Possible again to do some colour space conversion.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

"The OMAP2420 chip is used across the board of the latest Nokia phones, as it make sense just to have to purchase and develop for a single chip."

That's VERY interesting... so we could see a time very soon where all new S60 Nokia models have 3D hardware acceleration?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Ntek

Thumbs up PhoNetInfo 1.2.0

Have you all tryed the program PhoNetInfo 1.2.0. here you can see HAL in your phone.. I love that program..
patrickfrei.ch/phonetinfo/index.html

Old 02-04-2007, 02:57 PM

fyatwyrio is on a distinguished road
I don't believe all newer S60 phones will be using the TI 3D accelerator chip for cost reasons. But I always have been a little confused by Nokia's spec choices for phones, especially when it comes to RAM.
Why does the N76 need one of the faster processors (ARM 11 369MHz) and the most RAM (~44 MB Free Executable RAM).
Thats a faster processor and more than double the user available RAM than the N95 or N93's.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Bear in mind that the processor clock speed can be deceptive.

As Jukka pointed out in his original blog post, some of these models have two processors: one to handle the phone itself and the other dedicated to computing tasks.

The free RAM does sound puzzling, but is it possible that the N76 has more free user RAM because it doesn't have to do as many built-in tasks as the N95?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

I'm think that the N76 and N95 both use the TI 2420. However, the N95 has an additional ARM11 processor in possibly another chip.
Therefore the total horse power is greater.
The lower clock speed on the N95 is probably down to a slightly different hardware configuration.... i.e. It could be feasible that the processor is clocked lower to get better power consumption.

As for RAM, it may be that the backgrounds tasks use up more on the N95.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

"I don't believe all newer S60 phones will be using the TI 3D accelerator chip for cost reasons"...

Sorry, your right.. Only the high end multimedia phones will most likely use the TI chip....

Just a note : the TI2420 is a general purpose high end multimedia processor. (Includes ARM11, 3D accelerator + shed load of other stuff).

Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

The N76 apparently has 96MB of RAM, which would account for the higher amount of memory available to the user. Many s60 phones in the current generation only have 64MB (N73, N93, N95, etc...). In theory this means that with the same OS the N76 would have approx 22MB more free memory than the other phones and in practice this seems to be the case (22MB for most models, 44 for the N76). Why? That is a question I cannot answer.

-kap

Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 AM

jukkaeklund is on a distinguished road
Let's see if I can explain this vaguely enough..

OMAP2420 includes ARM11 processor that is _always_ running at ~330MHz. So you can figure out which phones have it. So you will also know which ones have the 3D chip (inside OMAP2420). OMAP2420 is a general purpose processor and doesn't do any of the basic phone stuff (ie. cellular processing).
Ads

Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
yasinag

CPU makes

Seems some phones are using Freescale CPUs.