All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-10-2004, 09:18 AM

Madmcs is on a distinguished road
Nokia 6600 wont read MMC card now?

Hi everyone

I've had my Nokia 6600 for nearly a year without any problems. I still using the standard 32mb memory card that came with it originally.

I've previously only every used the bluetooth side to install apps, copy files, etc etc, but today, someone at work brought in a 4in1 card reader so i thought i would give it a try with my mmc card. At first, Windows XP didnt recognise that there was a card in the reader, but after taking it in and out it seemed to work fine.

I could read and write files to the mmc card no problem.

After putting the card back in to the phone and going in to the File Manager, the phone says that there is no data on the card. Putting the card back into the card reader (again having to try it once or twice) the data was all there still.

I have tried formating the card with the reader (FAT), but phone still cant read the card.

If i go into the Memory card option from the phones menu it says "No memory card inserted".

Anyone with any idea as to what to do next???

Cheers in advance

Old 01-10-2004, 10:25 AM

lsm0325 is on a distinguished road
You may have corrupted your mmc when you may have removed it when the card reader is still reading, that happens even to ordinary diskettes. You will have to format your mmc using your phone, a fellow gave this tip on how you could do it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhishkv
Hi,
I have installed qoffice and it crashed my 6600 and i had to figure out a new method to format my memory card and here is it how to do that....

1) Switch off your phone.
2) Remove the back cover and remove the memory card and make sure that you don't pmove back the clip which locks the memory card. Push it fully to the simcard side.
3) Putback the battery and switch on the phone but don't put the back cover of the phone. After the phone is fully switched on, go to the "Extras" folder and keep the focus on the "Memory" application so that you can start the application with one click.
4) Now keep the phone on a flat surface and slowly lisf the back side of the battery(the side which don't have the connectors). Make sure that the battery connnectors are touching so that phone will not switch off.
5) Now insert the memory card the the gap between the battery and phone. Don't worry about puting back the memory card lock.
6) Press the battery down so that it will press the memory card in the correct place. Now you have a phone with memory card installed.
7) Start the "Memory" application to format it.
8) Thats it!! Reinstall all your programs and Enjoy

Good luck,
Sudhish K V.
Goodluck.

Cya

Old 01-10-2004, 11:02 AM

Madmcs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm0325
You may have corrupted your mmc when you may have removed it when the card reader is still reading, that happens even to ordinary diskettes. You will have to format your mmc using your phone, a fellow gave this tip on how you could do it:

Goodluck.

Cya

Hi,

Thanks, I had actually tried that one after searching around the forum - i dont even get the oppertunity to format the card because the memory application doesnt recognise the card as being in the phone.

Looks like the card is going to be trashed - just seems strange that i can eventually access it using windows - and was even able to copy the data off it before i formatted it.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 PM

joolsvern is on a distinguished road
good news is mobi memeory (who advertises here) sells em cheap as do many many other places. 25 for a 256mb or even cheaper.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:23 PM

eshahwe is on a distinguished road
I have had one that one before. Put the card in Card Reader, and then do a full format on it to erase everything. Then format it again using FAT or FAT32, in the middle of formatting, cancel the formatting, (you have to be quick because it only takes 4 secs) this should corrupt the card. Then put the card in the phone, and go to Extras and MMC, it will say Card Corrupt, Do you want to Format, select Yes. If it doesnt then try another MMC in the phone, if it works then its the Card which is totaly damaged. As far as I know, removing the card when reading usually only corrupts it but shouldnt stop it working after a full format.

Good luck

Old 22-09-2005, 05:33 PM

wimwauters is on a distinguished road
use a digital camera to reformat

I got round this problem by using my girlfriends digital camera to reformat the card. It would be nice to have a PC-based utility to format for digital cameras and PDA...

Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
journey

I'd been trying to reformat my memory card but no success and tonight I found this forum and I followed all what Ism0325 says and guess what ... my memory card start reformatting... a million thanks Ism0325

Old 15-05-2006, 05:27 PM

exosyphen is on a distinguished road
Happened to me on my N-Gage aswell.
I could read all the data, but not write/format.

Luckily, I was able to replace it under warranty and moved on

Old 20-02-2007, 06:41 PM

rosh0623 is on a distinguished road
let me know

how much do you think a N6600 can take?... i mean upto what memory ??? i'm planning to buy a 2GM MMC for my N6600..... what do you suggest ?????
Ads