All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-10-2009, 06:49 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Any FM transmitter apps out there

Hi All

Is there any apps out there which will give more advanced options to FM transmitter on N97?.

In my car the built in bluetooth isolates all other sounds from phone when on(which makes it very stable and connects everytime).Therefore if I wish to use my satnav in phone I have to switch off radio\bluetooth.I thought I could use the FM transmitter to push sound through radio when the bluetooth is on - unfortunately the FM transmitter times out with an annoying ticking sound in between(this is as it should according to help page).

I can use 3.5 mm extension jack via phone connected to audio system which is ok buts means yet another cable around cab - using the transmitter to push audio through system seems a little more elegant and a good idea at the time.

Any ideas welcome
Boothy

Old 21-10-2009, 11:54 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Hi All

Is there any apps out there which will give more advanced options to FM transmitter on N97?.

In my car the built in bluetooth isolates all other sounds from phone when on(which makes it very stable and connects everytime).Therefore if I wish to use my satnav in phone I have to switch off radio\bluetooth.I thought I could use the FM transmitter to push sound through radio when the bluetooth is on - unfortunately the FM transmitter times out with an annoying ticking sound in between(this is as it should according to help page).

I can use 3.5 mm extension jack via phone connected to audio system which is ok buts means yet another cable around cab - using the transmitter to push audio through system seems a little more elegant and a good idea at the time.

Any ideas welcome
Boothy
I have the same problem with my iPhone 3gs (plus the additional problem that the GPS receiver hardware is a piece of crap).
An easy workaround is to play some music or a podcast in the background. This keeps the audio channel open so the fm transmitter keeps broadcasting.

Old 21-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Thanks xerxes

I suppose running a very quiet recording on a loop should do the trick - I wonder if the transmitter detects transmission or specific sound?

I did a few more tries with aux output in car but using the headphine jack isolates voice if using for phone calls which put it back to square one.
Thanks again

Boothy
Ads

Old 21-10-2009, 04:57 PM

HI xerxes

I made a 5 sec muted mp3 track in nero wave editor and ran looped in music player at 88.1(frequency with least background noise-well today anyway) - it worked a treat.

Thanks

Boothy

Old 21-10-2009, 06:09 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Aux and Calls

The headset of the Nokia N86 comes in two pieces . One cable from the Phone jacket to a little "commander case" . In which are the commanding button , a microphone and a 3.5 mm jacket .
This part can be used to connect to car aux with an extra cable : music control and phonecalls over the caraudio at your hand , without BT .

The other cable has a 3,5 mm plug and the earbuttons .
There is/was also a Sony Ericsson headset like this .

Regards jApi NL

Old 21-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi jApi NL

Thanks for input

The ambient mic on my merc bluetooth has mega quality reception so therfore would prefer to retain built in bluetooth if possible- I will try via your proposed method - but it does mean more cables in cab - using fm transmission route means I can still use merc bluetooth but also not have to use any cables (unless I wish to charge at same time) - therefore on short routes much easier and less messy to set up.

Thanks

Boothy