All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-06-2009, 10:20 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
FM Transmitter performance

Just ran a test of my N97 NAM with the FM transmitter.

I had tried in my truck to receive the signal and was unsuccessful, so I ran a test using a clock/radio.

It appears that the range is not 6 feet, but more like 6 inches. And you'd better be real close to the antenna side of the radio.

Anyone else with observations?

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...m-transmission

Last edited by rdcinhou; 24-06-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Old 21-06-2009, 11:35 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've given it a go on my mini hi-fi at home, but it's connected to the aerial on the top of the flats so it didn't pick up the N97 very well. Thankfully I'm on the top floor so at least I heard *something*.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 22-06-2009, 05:33 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Yeah, six inches sounsd about right. Get an awful lot of buzz and static without. Poor FM Transmitter.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Robotron is on a distinguished road
I tried my UK spec phone in the car this weeked, the aerial is located above the rear windows so there was some distance between it and the N97. I found the transmision from the N97 seems very directional depending on how it was held resulted in anything from no signal all the way to a clear audio.

Also if you equipment can recived RDS signals the N97 once tuned in displays as "NOKIA" on my radios display.

Old 24-06-2009, 11:08 AM

terryterryd is on a distinguished road
FM Transmitter+Loudspeaker

Can the FM Transmitter work along side Loudspeaker mode?

That is, can I take a call, listening to the caller over FM Radio, and speaking back to then over Loudspeaker mode wothout a feedback loop kicking in?

Is FM Transmitter+Loudspeaker combo a viable Car Kit replacement?

Thanks.

Old 24-06-2009, 03:29 PM

bowman is on a distinguished road
Tested this for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised. Aerial for the car stereo is just above the front windscreen in the centre (i.e. very close to the phone). Reception was absolutely crystal clear. Looks like I'm the lucky one judging by everyone elses comments. I did wonder whether it would be worth using because the one built into my TomTom is useless, but it looks like I can go ahead and stick some music on my N97 after all.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:19 PM

n97mann is on a distinguished road
i think its shocking you have to have it close to the radios antenna otherwise the sound is crap. Utter uselessness if you ask me, i'll be connecting with a cable in future if possible.
Ads

Old 24-06-2009, 08:00 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
just remember, you have to place the phone near the ANTENNA and not the radio head unit necessarily. there were a bunch of posts on howardforums from people saying it doesnt work when they put the phone up to their radio head unit. sure, that MIGHT work sometimes, but the phone really needs to be placed near the arial antenna.

on my car the antenna is in the rear windshield. not the easiest place for me

Old 24-06-2009, 09:06 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n97mann View Post
i think its shocking you have to have it close to the radios antenna otherwise the sound is crap. Utter uselessness if you ask me, i'll be connecting with a cable in future if possible.
I guess this is for 2 reasons.

- battery life
- you don't want to be transmitting a signal so strong you can interfere with anything else (like someone else's radio)

Old 25-06-2009, 03:21 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
I guess this is for 2 reasons.

- battery life
- you don't want to be transmitting a signal so strong you can interfere with anything else (like someone else's radio)
you have to remember that it all depends on what frequency you're using. if your using a frequency that is near a radio station frequency, it won't be very good.
i've found that 107.90 works fine where i live (here ish).

Old 27-06-2009, 02:27 AM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
Tested in my BMW M3 and BMW X5...

totally useless.

FM Transmitter is a NON feature IMHO.

Total waste of space. Unless they can change the HW with a firmware upgrade to boost output (which I don't think they can)... chalk this up to "lame execution".

P

Old 27-06-2009, 08:22 AM

LJS is on a distinguished road
I think I'm one of the lucky ones as far as the N97 goes(so far). Only one minor contacts list issue which was solved with a soft reset. I have been using the FM transmitter in the car without any problems, always making sure i use a frequency as far from anything else. My aierial is a thin black stripe down the middle of the windscreen and the phone sits of the dashboard just below it, could be why I'm getting the good results, but I'm happy with good.

Old 27-06-2009, 11:05 AM

ratm is on a distinguished road
I only use mine in my work car, works flawlessly, can't fault it.

Old 27-06-2009, 10:38 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
You must place it near the antenna, not the radio unit. You guys sure you're doing this?

Old 28-06-2009, 06:14 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
You must place it near the antenna, not the radio unit. You guys sure you're doing this?
My car antenna sits on the right hand side of the car, pretty close to the windscreen, but the car is a left hand drive, so its all the way the other side of the car! Tried the FM Transmitter at the weekend and tried it on the default frequency 90.00 but this was close to another radio station.

As I was in heavy traffic , I didnít really get the chance to try a different frequency, but found that if I moved it closer to the antenna, it did pick the music from my phone, but not very clearly. Either it needs to be even closer to the antenna, or another frequency would work better?
RM-530
E72-1