All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-06-2009, 09:30 PM

bowman is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N97 Locking Up

Hey all. Like many of you my N97 arrived this morning. I've only had the chance to play with it for the last few hours but already I've had 2 problems. It's locked up completely once (requiring battery removal to clear it), and just now while organising the menu view it briefly locked up again. About ten seconds later it cleared back to the main screen but the menu key wouldn't work properly. It worked if you held it down to show open apps but that was it. This time it switched off ok so I just rebooted and it's fine again.

So far I haven't installed any of my apps or done anything other than check things out and change a few basic settings. The phone charger was plugged in both times but this could just be coincidental. I'll update this thread if I get any more problems but has anyone else had any similar problems?

Old 19-06-2009, 09:34 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I've not had the entire phone lock up, but I've had a couple of applications go AWOL (Accuweather widget and GPS) for 20 minutes or more.

Even while apps are non-responsive, I've been able to get back to the main screen by holding down the MENU key to get to the Open Applications selection screen.

I did have my phone reboot after starting an application (JPC - Java PC emulator) and it did turn itself completely off while in my pocket this morning even though the touchscreen was locked.

I wonder if there is a Task Manager application that you could use to Kill a non-responsive application (like on my 9300?).

Old 19-06-2009, 09:42 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
No lock ups here and I have been surfing the net, upgrading Maps to v3, etc.

Have you checked you are on the latest firmware version?

To kill a rogue app, hold the menu button to get the list of running apps up, then tap and hold on the icon of the app to close. You should get a menu with "Close" as an option.

Old 19-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
the best thing to do is a full format, format the 32gig memory then the phone, to format the phone type *#7370# and enter security code (12345 default), u will however lose some apps inc. facebook and accuweather and also any data you have put on it like contacts etc, but it does solve problems, its the first thing i do when i get a s60 device and i will do it as soon as my n97 is in my hands.
and for better task managment try handy taskman guys, u just install, hold menu key down and it shows open apps and memory etc

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 20-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Already done! Decided to wipe it all and start again.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:28 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
OK, I'll admit, I've had a couple of problems now I've been playing it for a while.

Firstly, I had my first lockup last night. It happened when I pressed the music player widget on my home screen and tried to look at my music list. I'd copied over roughly 5Gb of music to the 32gb mass memory before I'd done this, so I thought "Oh, it's just searching for my music and it might take a while" but sadly nothing. However, when I opened the music library through the Shortcuts widget and chose "refresh library" I didn't have the problem again.

I've also started to notice the unlocking problem others are having, wherein the slider doesn't unlock the phone on the first attempt, but for me it has worked on the second attempt. I know this is a bug but I'm not finding it all that annoying. What I do is treat it like some of the menu options where you have to double-press to open an item instead of single-press, so I just remember to slide the unlocking switch twice quickly and it seems to work for me.

The one thing that's really starting to annoy me now is how the Facebook widget is sometimes unresponsive. It seems fine on the main screen, when going through people's profiles, and looking at photos... but its when I look at the comments that people have left on things like photos, links, and videos. I can slide up and down on the first attempt, but on the second it doesn't respond whatsoever and I have to wait a few seconds before a finger swipe will be recognised. I can only assume this is a problem with the widget itself, which would be easily remedied with a quick update.

But I'm still buzzing! Everything else works a treat!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 20-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
... I've also started to notice the unlocking problem others are having, wherein the slider doesn't unlock the phone on the first attempt, but for me it has worked on the second attempt. I know this is a bug but I'm not finding it all that annoying. What I do is treat it like some of the menu options where you have to double-press to open an item instead of single-press, so I just remember to slide the unlocking switch twice quickly and it seems to work for me.
Same here. It always needs two attempts. The only problem we'll have is when they fix the firmware and we end up unlocking and locking it again with two presses (slides). Other than the problems I first had it's been fine. It's now loaded with all my apps (installing them was SO much quicker than on the N95), and I think it's a quality little unit.

Old 20-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
Same here. It always needs two attempts. The only problem we'll have is when they fix the firmware and we end up unlocking and locking it again with two presses (slides). Other than the problems I first had it's been fine. It's now loaded with all my apps (installing them was SO much quicker than on the N95), and I think it's a quality little unit.
i take it that the format did the world of good?

Old 20-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
i take it that the format did the world of good?
Well it hasn't locked up again so I'm happy. Actually there was one other problem when I was changing the time zone on the clock and it shut down. Tried again and got the same thing so that's definitely a bug.

Old 20-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Well it hasn't locked up again so I'm happy. Actually there was one other problem when I was changing the time zone on the clock and it shut down. Tried again and got the same thing so that's definitely a bug.
ta for the info, gonna format mine right out the box, dnt want any issues, hw are u enjoying it so far?

Old 21-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Soony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the best thing to do is a full format, format the 32gig memory then the phone, to format the phone type *#7370# and enter security code (12345 default), u will however lose some apps inc. facebook and accuweather and also any data you have put on it like contacts etc, but it does solve problems, its the first thing i do when i get a s60 device and i will do it as soon as my n97 is in my hands.
and for better task managment try handy taskman guys, u just install, hold menu key down and it shows open apps and memory etc
if I do the soft-formatting, how can I get all the widgets back? I checked the Ovi store and not all the widgets pre-installed are available to be downloaded. Does software update give us back all the widgets in case I need that?

Old 21-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soony View Post
if I do the soft-formatting, how can I get all the widgets back? I checked the Ovi store and not all the widgets pre-installed are available to be downloaded. Does software update give us back all the widgets in case I need that?
im not sure but a friend of mine did a reset last night on her n97 and all apps was still installed and showing in application manager, theres 16 things installed all together, 3 are games and they are installed to mass memory, out of the 13 apps installed to fone mem 10 can be removed, joikuspot, qik and another app cant be uninstalled, so if you do a format im sure ur apps will still be there and wont have to redownload facebook or accuweather, normaly a format would remove any uninstalable app, but for some reason it didnt on my friends black uk n97

Ads

Old 21-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Just as a confirmation, I've just soft reset my N97 and all the widgets were still there. I decided to do it because, as Biggzy suggested, it might do the world of good. Seems to be going well so far...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 21-06-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
im not sure but a friend of mine did a reset last night on her n97 and all apps was still installed and showing in application manager, theres 16 things installed all together, 3 are games.....
Which I've just realised are missing from my N97! I did a hard reset and although I've removed everything I can that I won't use I don't remember removing any games. I remember there being games when I first played with it but they ain't there now.

Old 21-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Which I've just realised are missing from my N97! I did a hard reset and although I've removed everything I can that I won't use I don't remember removing any games. I remember there being games when I first played with it but they ain't there now.
Yes I believe they were on the 32Gb mass memory. I did a soft reset so they were still intact, but I wanted to wipe the mass memory clean. In doing so, I got rid of the games. Tbh though they weren't exactly fabulous, and I didn't get the phone for those three games anyway, so they won't be missed.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk