All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 AM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Help - can't charge

On Sunday, the phone suffered a slight accident. It was on charge at the time and I managed to catch the cable and the phone fell to the floor. It still seemed fine although I noticed moving it about kept causing it to request I unplug the charger and then tell me it was charging. It completed the charging cycle fine although on unplugging the charger it kept insisting it was charging.

A power cycle fixed that.

Normal usage of the phone was made. Last night it was running down so I plugged it in. It appeared to be charging. This morning it is dead.

I have removed the battery, plugged it back in, connected charger, it beeped and the Nokia logo came up but it did not appear to be3 charging.

Currently I have the phone sans battery and am going to try and plug it in again shortly. Anything else I can do. I need the phone urgently.

Regards
Neil

Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Finally...

Finally managed to get the thing charged. But that fall has definitely damaged either the usb connector on the phone or the usb plug on the charger just enough to make the connection susceptible to anything that might shake it loose.

Regards
Neil

Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
i have had this on mine where it refuses to charge and i haven't dropped it. the USB mini scoket really is crap. i know someone with an N900 and it seems to be a common fault where it removes itself from the motherboard at random

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Maybe the little clips on the micro USB connector itself don't help. If it gets pulled out with force, that might pull the socket off the motherboard.

That's just a theory though...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Sounds plausible. I did a backup over the weekend. I noticed the phone asking me on multiple occassions what mode I wanted it connected in. Still, the backup took place. I'll see if I can get into Westcom's in Bristol at some point and have it looked at.

Regards
Neil
Ads