All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910

Old 21-08-2003, 03:18 PM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you guys are having fun .

Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 12:25 AM

I would appreciate if those of you who have tried the software or even bought it would go and review it on Handango at http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...amp;catalog=90. This would help us immensely. Thank you!

Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 09:38 AM

crafti is on a distinguished road
OK I bit the bullet and paid for this.

My opinion

I do really feel the application should be offered foc, or a trial available, or at least bundled with the same value of credits so if you find it's not for you, then you've only paid for what you have used.

If you purchase from the developers site then you will need to pay with paypal. I mention this only because on previous occasions people have expressed disappointment at this. However, it seems perfectly fine to me.

After purchase the response from the developer in setting up an account etc is very prompt and efficient. I have purchased software through Handango previously and had to wait days and send numerous emails in order to just receive a registration code, so I feel the service here is worth a note.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the biggest criticism is the fact that this does not read numbers from your address book. It also does not remember the last number. It has no ability to keep it's own list of numbers. It has no paste option for copied numbers. For those of you who use the keyboard input, you can paste through there but for those of you like me who mainly use handwriting recognition, this is very irritating and does make me less likely to fire off a message using this application.

The application is extremely small so those of you with limited space, this isnít really going to affect you much.

I too agree, the software seems to work very smoothly. For those of you on Orange and are wondering, this does not work with Orange GPRS WAP access, you need to use standard Orange GPRS. However, the data usage is miniscule.

Buying. If you buy it from the developer as I did, it's initial cost is Ä9.99, if you buy it from Handango it seems to be $9.99, so there appears to be a discrepancy in price. If youíre in the UK, then neither of these currencies are much use but with exchange rates as they are at the moment, the $9.99 could work out cheaper but this does depend on your credit card issuers exchange rate offerings. However, watch out for the new Handango VAT STING.

I hope some improvements are made to the application to make it less awkward but it is definately entertaining.

Old 22-08-2003, 01:49 PM

Ok, let me answer some of the concerns and the questions that were asked in previous posts:

SMSXtender is a Java midlet and we've tried to make it as non vendor-specific as possible. It's not using any Nokia/Siemens/SonyEricsson/whatever special APIs, so it runs on pretty much any MIDP device with a GPRS or CSD connection.

But this also has a downside: we're restricted by what MIDP can do on those devices without vendor extensions: we can't use numbers from the address book, can't make the application look pretty, can't do much about interacting with the phone's menu (make the application show up directly in the menu instead of the "apps" folder).

We are working on making this a better experience for you, you can expect service releases over the next couple of weeks. We will have announcements on our website as this happens. Just keep the reports coming

Thanks everyone,
Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 04:02 PM

Special is on a distinguished road
I think 1 credit must be included in the trial version, just to test if it works in a certain country before buying.

And thanks for the great app

Old 22-08-2003, 06:38 PM

Since many of you asked for a free trial version of SMSXtender, we came up with the following procedure:

1. You can download the application directly from http://www.simeda.com/downloads/SMSXtender.zip. We have just updated it (it's slightly larger, 12k, but it supports additional characters from various languages and it's more stable). The application however is useless without the credits, so read below.

2. Send an SMS from the phone you're going to use for testing to +40722537195. Put your email address in it and your required password (like this: email_address@provider.com,password).

3. When we receive the SMS, we will create an account for you. The account name will be your phone number, in international format, without the double 0 or + sign in front. The password will be the one you requested. We will notify you by email when your account is activated. Your account will have 1 credit that you can use to test the application. We will not issue more than 1 account per email or 1 account per phone number.

4. If you decide you like the application, you'll have to purchase it (at the current EUR 9.95 price). If you don't like it, you'll have to remove it from your phone after the test.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to email me at support@simeda.com.

One more thing: we will check to make sure the trial requests were not sent through our system ... just in case someone was thinking about that (I know I did ).

Old 22-08-2003, 08:22 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
if we purchase this, can we use the same programme your letting us download for a trail, to use as the real thing too? when if/we have credits?

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 22-08-2003, 08:34 PM

Yes, you can keep the trial software, but you will have to pay the initial EUR 9.95, just as if you were buying the application. The software is the same, the difference between a trial account and a real account is in the server.

Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 09:29 PM

Special is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One more thing: we will check to make sure the trial requests were not sent through our system ... just in case someone was thinking about that (I know I did ).
LOL

Never thought about that

Anyway, thanks for the quick response. Will try it now.

Old 28-08-2003, 09:19 PM

Hello everyone,

We are almost 90% done with the new version that will support additional networks. But we need your help. All those of you who would like to send to networks that are not in our coverage area, please email me at support@simeda.com. We need the following information: the name of the network (including the country) and all the known prefixes for that destination (e.g. Connex Romania, prefixes 40722, 40723, 40721 - meaning that all numbers starting with 40722, 40723 or 40721 belong to this network). If a certain prefix for the network you are trying to send to is not listed, the system will attempt to send the message at 1 credit/message and will obviously fail.

There is no change in the client software, you can keep your existing SMSXtender versions. There will be a release later next week that will probably include support for the Greek language. If your native language is not supported, please email me at support@simeda.com and we'll try to figure something out.

Razvan
Ads

Old 29-08-2003, 02:39 AM

Hello everyone,

We have just released version 1.1.0 of SMSXtender. It adds one important feature: the ability to prioritize your messages. You can choose between 3 priorities: Normal, Urgent and Very Urgent.

Urgent messages are always delivered before Normal messages. Very Urgent messages are guaranteed to be delivered before Urgent and Normal messages.

Urgent messages will cost you an extra 0.5 credits/message. Very Urgent messages will cost 1 extra credit/message.

The extra cost allows us to select additional (faster but more expensive) gateways to your destination network. So if you notice that a particular destination is slow, you can try increasing the priority.

The download locations for the new version are the same: http://www.simeda.com/downloads/SMSXtender.zip or via WAP at http://dynamic.simeda.com/send/SMSXtender.jad .

We are also launching the "Extend to a friend" program (an official announcement will be on our site tomorrow). The program is very simple: if you tell a friend about SMSXtender and the friend purchases a copy, you get 5 free credits and your friend also gets 5 free credits on top of his initial subscription. Just ask him to mention your email or account name when subscribing to our service.

Cheers,
Razvan

Old 30-08-2003, 01:34 PM

Afonso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
SMSXtender generates GPRS traffic of a maximum of 250 bytes per message. So in the worst case, you would generate 1 kilobyte of traffic for every 4 messages.

Razvan
Unfortunattly my operator charges 0,01EUR/kb for GPRS trafic and it also charges 10kb of traffic upfront (yes, even if you only use 1 or 2 kb).
Leaving GPRS permanently connected is not an option because nobody can call me while it is on.
This ups the price for a singe SMS (using SMSXtender) to a minumum of 0,17EUR.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:21 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afonso
Leaving GPRS permanently connected is not an option because nobody can call me while it is on.
The P800 should suspend a GPRS connection while handling GSM traffic.
Check that Control Panel -> Internet Accounts: Other . Preferred Mode is set to Automatic.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 19-09-2003, 08:01 PM

Hello everyone,

SMSXtender v1.5.2 is now available.

New features:

- support for language translation tables. The only language supported for now is Greek (thanks Petran!)

Note: You can send messages containing Greek characters to GSM operators in Greece ONLY! Do not activate the Greek translation table for destinations outside Greece, your messages will fail!

- menu option for checking the remaining credits (View credits)
- menu option for checking the cost of a particular destination (Analyze destination)
- the ability to choose between HTTP GET and HTTP POST when sending messages (some networks only allow one of them to get through).

Best regards,
Razvan

Old 24-09-2003, 12:09 AM

redragon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Unfortunately for me, I'm from the Philippines and I cant purchase the SMSXtender. I tried from My-Symbian & Handango sites and both said that my country is under the U.S. Export control list. I tried from Simeda but my country is not listed. Oh well...