All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-05-2007, 05:50 PM

kalyanvgopal is on a distinguished road
Bad experience of Opera Mini on N95

While reading some of the posts I found that opera mini is one of the best browsers. So, I have tried to install Opera Mini on my N95 and unfortunately I did not have a nice experience.
During installation Installer hung approximately after completion of 40% of installation. I was not able to use any of the keys for a while. First time I tried a reboot and second time after pressing some keys installer UI vanished.
I do not know if it is installer problem or opera mini problem.

On the other hand even after all this hassle I can see the Opera Mini icon in Applications. So, I started using it and i found that it is 10 times slower compared to Internal browser.

So, any body had a similar experience or should I try to remove and re-install the browser. But I still feel Look and feel of Opera Mini browser is better compared to internal browser.
- Kalyan

Old 24-05-2007, 09:04 PM

cmlewan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyanvgopal View Post
While reading some of the posts I found that opera mini is one of the best browsers. So, I have tried to install Opera Mini on my N95 and unfortunately I did not have a nice experience.
During installation Installer hung approximately after completion of 40% of installation. I was not able to use any of the keys for a while. First time I tried a reboot and second time after pressing some keys installer UI vanished.
I do not know if it is installer problem or opera mini problem.

On the other hand even after all this hassle I can see the Opera Mini icon in Applications. So, I started using it and i found that it is 10 times slower compared to Internal browser.

So, any body had a similar experience or should I try to remove and re-install the browser. But I still feel Look and feel of Opera Mini browser is better compared to internal browser.
- Kalyan
I don't know about Opera Mini, but the natural choice for our phone is Opera for S60. It hasn't been updated for a long time and it shows. It is much slower that the Nokia browser. The advantage is that memory handling is way ahead of the built-in browser, I'd say. (But I've been contradicted here in this forum even on that point.)

Old 24-05-2007, 09:13 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
The best browser today for S60v3 devices is the internal one. But, if data cost is a problem, use Opera mini, because is "mini" on data traffic and cost!

Old 25-05-2007, 05:32 AM

RE: Bad experience of Opera Mini on N95

I thank cmlewan and nj7 for their opinion. I think I have used opera mini quite a while now. I realized that N95 internal browser is a much better now. Data cost is not a big problem for me as I have taken unlimited data download package.

- Kalyan

Old 25-05-2007, 11:16 AM

ralphlauren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlewan View Post
I don't know about Opera Mini, but the natural choice for our phone is Opera for S60. It hasn't been updated for a long time and it shows. It is much slower that the Nokia browser. The advantage is that memory handling is way ahead of the built-in browser, I'd say. (But I've been contradicted here in this forum even on that point.)
I can confirm that the Opera S60 is very "old" and unupdated version, I do not have a fun to use it. And at least on my N95 it's very memory hungry.
I very often get the "out memory" message when using Opera and never get it from built-in Nokia browser opening the same pages.
Very shame on Opera because I do not like the horizontal scroll in native browser.

Old 25-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
You are using the wrong browser. Opera Mini is a java based browser that is aimed at low-mid range mobiles.

You should be using the dedicated S60 3rd edition Opera browser.

Ababd
Ads

Old 26-05-2007, 12:12 AM

andrew.gill is on a distinguished road
Opera Mini

Hi

identical here - froze during install and found that it was really unreliable at surfing and would come up with a split screen error message - part red, part yellow

andrew

Old 26-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Re: Bad experience of Opera Mini on N95

"Opera Mobile™ for Symbian S60" (version 8.65) seems to be good. They are offering a trail version for 30 days.
I felt it is worth going for it rather than Opera Mini.

- Kalyan

Old 26-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyanvgopal View Post
"Opera Mobile™ for Symbian S60" (version 8.65) seems to be good. They are offering a trail version for 30 days.
I felt it is worth going for it rather than Opera Mini.

- Kalyan
Listen to the dude - for he is right.

Opera Mini stinks.

Opera 865 is superb - waay better than the native (Safari) browser - unlike which, Opera browser functions can be assigned to the keypad ... apart from which, 865 is waay faster than Safari and NEVER gives out of memory errors.
Try it and you'll spit whenever the name of Safari is mentioned again.

Old 27-05-2007, 07:18 PM

ianuk10 is on a distinguished road
I use both the internal and Opera Mini - if I'm at home on WLAN, I tend to use the internal fancy browser. But for some sites and when I'm on 3G, Opera Mini is grand. The BBC News low graphics version (not any of the horrid mobile/PDA versions, but the 'low graphics' version of the main site) is beautifully quick and works fantastically in Opera Mini. The entertainment/media news site Digitalspy and its forums is another.

Yes, there are many sites where the internal browser performs much better than Opera Mini. But for sheer speed and beautifully formatted displays of text-rich sites, Opera Mini wins every time.