All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5320 XpressMusic - the All About Symbian review

The Nokia 5320 XpressMusic has the lowest launch price so far of any S60 device, and is squarely aimed at the mainstream market. It's a music-oriented device with external music controls and a dedicated audio chip as well as a 3.5mm headphone socket, and will also become a gaming-oriented phone later this year when the N-Gage application becomes available for it. All About Symbian has put it through its paces, and you can find out how it did by reading our review. If you have any questions about the device, post them in the comments thread of this news item and we will try to answer them.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I so wish that Nokia would start to support the ogg vorbis music format in their default music player, so a 3rd party application isn't needed.

Support for FLAC would be nice too, although much less important since those files get fairly large.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I so wish that Nokia would start to support the ogg vorbis music format in their default music player, so a 3rd party application isn't needed.
Lack of ogg support is a problem on most phones and computers, but perhaps the root cause is that not enough people use it so manufacturers don't really pay much attention to the format.

But if there's little support, people won't use it, so it's a catch 22 situation...

It would help if ordinary people even knew what ogg was, but it's never had as much media exposure as MP3 or as much commercial interest as AAC.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I know. Just wishful thinking for now, it seems. At least Samsung add support for it in their S60 phones.

I see ogg vorbis as some music version of png. png 1.0 was released back in 1996 as a free alternative to gif which used some patent so it wasn't free to use. And it took what, 10 years until we saw a good support for that file format in Internet Explorer? But gif is still a much more popular format.

And we saw ogg vorbis 1.0 back in 2002 because mp3 used some patent so it wasn't free to use.

So maybe Nokia support the format in 2012?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I see ogg vorbis as some music version of png. png 1.0 was released back in 1996 as a free alternative to gif which used some patent so it wasn't free to use. And it took what, 10 years until we saw a good support for that file format in Internet Explorer? But gif is still a much more popular format.
Well, PNG's continued obscurity is one of the reasons I'm sceptical about Ogg ever taking off. :-(

I know there are very good reasons why it would be nice to have all data in open formats like PNG and Ogg, but most people neither know nor care about these reasons, they just want formats that work with as many devices as possible.

Didn't the GIF patent expire though, so PNG is no longer needed?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Didn't the GIF patent expire though, so PNG is no longer needed?
Yeah, it expired back in 2003-2004. But the png usage has grown since then (although maybe not that much in the overall picture), for simply being a better format (except animations). Lots of Linux sites use it, and even Microsoft use it with their DirectX code examples and so on. And then there's wikipedia.org which use png a lot, and ogg for music snippets.

I do have a fair chunk of hope that we will see support for ogg in the Nokia phones in the future now though, thanks to the recent Symbian Foundation thing. Lots of open projects value png & ogg. And then there's Samsung which supports it and they hopefully push for it within the foundation. Just needs some time (years).

Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
Battery life playing MP3s?

> a dedicated audio chip

What's the battery life like when playing MP3s? On my N82 I get about 8 hours if I'm lucky. Does the dedicated audio chip take this near to my iPod Nano's 30 hours of playback on a single charge?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What's the battery life like when playing MP3s? On my N82 I get about 8 hours if I'm lucky. Does the dedicated audio chip take this near to my iPod Nano's 30 hours of playback on a single charge?
The official specifications say there's a playback time of 24 (twenty-four) hours on a single charge, though of course that assumes you're not using the phone for anything else during that period.

I haven't tested this yet as it may take a few charging cycles for phone batteries to hold maximum charge. I was planning to do a separate feature about this.

In general I found the battery life was very good with music, I didn't measure it exactly though for the above reason.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Web Link entry level

yes tzer2.

It is what it is. An entry level phone to s60.

This is a superb phone for young guns trying to graduate to s60 at not a high price. But i believe, for experience s60 users, it does not have many exciting things to swap their current one for this.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But i believe, for experience s60 users, it does not have many exciting things to swap their current one for this.
Yeah, you're right, this isn't meant to compete with higher end S60 models, it's probably meant more as a first S60 phone.

But having said that, the 5320 is potentially useful for experienced S60 users who want a cheap durable second phone they can take anywhere without giving up S60 features.

Personally I get a bit nervous carrying a 500 euro phone with me in case I break it or someone tries to steal it, but I'm a lot more comfortable carrying the 5320 with me everywhere.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Yeah, you're right, this isn't meant to compete with higher end S60 models, it's probably meant more as a first S60 phone.

But having said that, the 5320 is potentially useful for experienced S60 users who want a cheap durable second phone they can take anywhere without giving up S60 features.

Personally I get a bit nervous carrying a 500 euro phone with me in case I break it or someone tries to steal it, but I'm a lot more comfortable carrying the 5320 with me everywhere.
I agree fully,the 5320 will be a fantastic 2nd/spare phone,after your E90,N95's,N82,N96 etc...

It looks & feels exactly like any "dumbphone",many people will be none the wiser of the computing power beneath the S60 OS.

I think a big selling point of this phone for "experienced" S60 users,is the inclusion of Feature Pack 2 in such an affordable,ordinary looking smartphone.

BTW, GSMArena also released their review of the 5320 yesterday,they had high praise for it: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5320-review-271.php
strangely there was no mention at all of the "Music Search" feature.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
strangely there was no mention at all of the "Music Search" feature.
It's possible that they didn't find it!

The only way to activate Music Search is either to click on its icon (which is buried away in the applications folder) or to hold down the My Own button (I only discovered this by accident, pressing the button briefly does something totally different, and holding it down isn't mentioned in the quickstart guide either).

As I said in the review, Nokia really does need to issue a new firmware for the 5320 with a more logical menu structure. The phone needs a single Music folder with all the music apps (Player, Radio, Podcasting, Search, Store etc) in one place so that people can find them easily.

You can make such a folder yourself and move these apps there manually, but most people won't know that's possible, and it's silly to make them do that. The 5320 has an Office folder full of office apps, and an Internet folder full of internet apps, why not a Music folder too?

Old 13-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Unregistered

Any ideal if Mail for Exchange will work on the 5320 now or in the future? Thanks.

Old 13-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any ideal if Mail for Exchange will work on the 5320 now or in the future? Thanks.
I was going to say no, BUT...

Looking at the official Mail For Exchange website it does look like they're now offering it for the 6220:

http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.co..._downloads.php

If the 6220 has got Mail For Exchange, perhaps the 5320 will get it too?

You might even be able to get the 6220 version to work on the 5320 as they're technically very similar devices.

However, the link above also warns that non-Eseries devices may not be compatible with the security requirements of some corporate e-mail systems.

Old 15-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Mfe

I've got mailforexchange up and running perfectly on my 5320. Version 2.05, the one intended for 6220. Earlier versions does not work.