All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-10-2008, 12:25 AM

fone_fanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
I have an E71-2 as well. Make sure you hit send to see the magic.
oops i was hitting the shift key only once, not twice, after the fn key.. works a treat! thats gonna make life a lot easier rather than asking to borrow some ones phone just to look at their keypad..

Also i found this out. when u open your menu and its arranged as icons, you have 3 rows and 4 columns.. these icons correspond to the numbers on your keypad. For example if you want to open the folder or app thats on the top left, you'd press 1, for the folder/app on the top right you'd press *, for anything between those its either 2 or 3.. for the bottom right app/folder it'd be 0 etc.. do you get it?

for example if your menu in icon view looks like this:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
To open A you'd press 1, 2 for B, 3 for C, and * for D, 4 for E, 5 for F, yada yada..

Old 24-10-2008, 12:36 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fone_fanatic View Post
oops i was hitting the shift key only once, not twice, after the fn key.. works a treat! thats gonna make life a lot easier rather than asking to borrow some ones phone just to look at their keypad..

Also i found this out. when u open your menu and its arranged as icons, you have 3 rows and 4 columns.. these icons correspond to the numbers on your keypad. For example if you want to open the folder or app thats on the top left, you'd press 1, for the folder/app on the top right you'd press *, for anything between those its either 2 or 3.. for the bottom right app/folder it'd be 0 etc.. do you get it?

for example if your menu in icon view looks like this:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
To open A you'd press 1, 2 for B, 3 for C, and * for D, 4 for E, 5 for F, yada yada..
Sweet tip! This one will come in handy too.

Old 29-10-2008, 03:07 AM

vbap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
Dial 1-800 then hit the bottom left key once and then the shift key next to it twice and then spell out the rest of the word. Hit send and it will convert the letters to numbers automatically.
Great tip! This works on my E71-1 for any phone number that has letter-mnemonics eg 13YARRA (I'm in Australia).

Old 29-10-2008, 05:07 AM

fone_fanatic is on a distinguished road
some Web shortcuts

1 - Bookmarks
2 - Find on page
5 - Tabs open windows (when more then one window is open, hitting 5 will show them tabbed at the top like firefox and you can switch between them using left and right buttons then you can either select that window, close it, or close all other windows)
* - Zoom In
# - Zoom Out
8 - Page Overview
9 - Go To
0 - Homepage
Backspace - Close current window (when more then one window open)

Also if your viewing full websites (not mobile sites) and notice how it kind of jerks/skips and is a little slow scrolling up and down and left and right try disabling the Mini Map under settings-general to speed things up a bit.

Thats all i could find out by experimenting.. anyone know anymore? Maybe theres a shortcut to reload or add to favorites?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM

machimshin is on a distinguished road
When in Gallery in images:
press Fn+* for fullscreen
press Fn+5 to zoom in
press Fn+0 to zoom out
press Fn+3 to rotate right
press Fn+1 to rotate left
When in Gallery in Videos:
press Fn+2 for fullscreen

Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM

batat is on a distinguished road
I have an E51, \RM-244, 200.34.36., 24.04.2008.\, on friday evening calendar stops working until I change the date manualy! How to solve this problem?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 AM

reprovo is on a distinguished road
hi.you probably already know this one but if you return to the homescreen from an application by pressing the red end call key you kill the application but if you press the menu key instead you will return to the homescreen without closing the application.when you press menu again a small circle by the application icon shows that its still open.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 AM

reprovo is on a distinguished road
if this is already in the manual ignore me because to be honest i didnt read it

Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fone_fanatic View Post
some Web shortcuts

1 - Bookmarks
2 - Find on page
5 - Tabs open windows (when more then one window is open, hitting 5 will show them tabbed at the top like firefox and you can switch between them using left and right buttons then you can either select that window, close it, or close all other windows)
* - Zoom In
# - Zoom Out
8 - Page Overview
9 - Go To
0 - Homepage
Backspace - Close current window (when more then one window open)

Also if your viewing full websites (not mobile sites) and notice how it kind of jerks/skips and is a little slow scrolling up and down and left and right try disabling the Mini Map under settings-general to speed things up a bit.

Thats all i could find out by experimenting.. anyone know anymore? Maybe theres a shortcut to reload or add to favorites?
I'm glad a referred back to this because I've been using the long methods of doing this pretty regularly and I'm not sure how I missed your post the first time. I also turned off the mini map for a substantially smoother/better browsing experience. Thanks again for posting this and sorry for the belated props.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Has anyone found a way to mark/unmark images quickly? For instance on page one someone posted that fn + ret would mark/unmark emails but it doesn't seem to work on my E71-2 and when I'm marking many images to move or something it's a pain to select options and scroll to it on each one each time. A simple key press option would be nice.

Old 13-01-2009, 12:07 PM

redshark313 is on a distinguished road
E71 "#" key to toggle silent profile

I would like to use this feature but it doesn't work on my E71 either, I just end up with ######## on the display. Bummer

Although the * key does toggle the bluetooth on/off.

My handsets details are:
09-10-2008
RM-346
Nokia E71-1 (221.06)

Old 13-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Has anyone found a way to mark/unmark images quickly? For instance on page one someone posted that fn + ret would mark/unmark emails but it doesn't seem to work on my E71-2 and when I'm marking many images to move or something it's a pain to select options and scroll to it on each one each time. A simple key press option would be nice.
Do you mean whilst in File manager? If so, and bear in mind that I no longer have an E71 to test with, I think that shift and middleDpad will select multiple of files won't it? That is, move the highlight over each file then press shift and middleDpad thus producing a Mark (tick/check) then when you've finished marking them all use Options to Move?

Tim

Old 13-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
Do you mean whilst in File manager? If so, and bear in mind that I no longer have an E71 to test with, I think that shift and middleDpad will select multiple of files won't it? That is, move the highlight over each file then press shift and middleDpad thus producing a Mark (tick/check) then when you've finished marking them all use Options to Move?

Tim
Yeah, I found that on another forum and forgot to post back. It's the shift and then center D pad button to mark them all.

Old 21-01-2009, 10:40 AM

smapdi is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know how to get a new text message be the default thing opened when you press the mail key for a long period of time? Right now it seems that the default action is to open up a new email....
Ads

Old 23-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
Does anyone know how to get a new text message be the default thing opened when you press the mail key for a long period of time? Right now it seems that the default action is to open up a new email....
I can't see a setting to change the long press to new SMS, I just have a list of applications I can set to it. Shame, on the E51 new SMS could be saved to that key.