All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Is VOIP really not included?

Has the SIP/VOIP functionality really been removed from the OS? I've had both the N95 and N95 8GB and the VOIP functionlity is superb! Surely they can't have removed this? Is it not part of the OS? I wouldn't even consider buying this phone without VOIP built in.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Unregistered

Connection Sharing

Does the N97 has connection sharing as found in WM phones?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM

jah is on a distinguished road
Well this is the first high-end Nokia I will not be buying as an early adopter. The news about the keyboard is worrying me; and the lack of a quality PIM has always been an issue for me. Have decided for my business activities to buy a HTC Touch Pro2 as this has a great keyboard - I know WM6.1 is a bit flaky but at least I have full sync with an Exchange server (unlike the 'N' series Nokias). Sad decision but Symbian/Nokia seem not be interested in business users - but perhaps we will see an E92 or similar soon :-)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
bazanime

There are many occasion when you want to choose just one song from a long list of songs and the 5800 is hopeless at scrolling that accurately, the search function doesnt help much since its no longer a "live search" as it was with the N95 and its physical keyboard. Hopefuly the N97 keyboard will rectify this problem. Kinetic scrolling would be perfect in the music player app.

Steve and Rafe i have to commend you immensely for this Q&A, you have gone over and beyond what any others would do, even answering the silly questions. I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone here for your awesome job, its even better than a hands-on review of the device since we get more specific details. Keep it up for as long as you can (sanity permiting) till the launch of the handset.

Thank you very much.

My questions:

Can any flv files be played without slowdown? By any, i mean running a gamut from hig rez HD quality youtube downloads to low quality stuff.

How much of an all round powerhouse is the N97 in comparison to the N95 8GB? I could more or less throw anything at my N95 8GB with good results.

How is the usb tranfer speed between Mass Storage mode and PC Suite mode in comparisson to other recent S60 handsets? Quite important since that 32GB built in storage (that still blows me away) will come into much use.

How well does the browser handle flash videos and websites?

The lanyard stand for the 5800 is incredibly impressive and the best accessory ever for any high quality video playback phone sans a built-in kickstand. Does the N97 have something similar?

and finally....

I hope youre getting enough sleep.

Thank you again.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Having tested it, would you buy it?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazanime View Post
The lanyard stand for the 5800 is incredibly impressive and the best accessory ever for any high quality video playback phone sans a built-in kickstand. Does the N97 have something similar?
Can't you just flip it open?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Has the SIP/VOIP functionality really been removed from the OS? I've had both the N95 and N95 8GB and the VOIP functionlity is superb! Surely they can't have removed this? Is it not part of the OS? I wouldn't even consider buying this phone without VOIP built in.
From what I understand: yes. Isn't it funny how the so called power users rave about silly homescreen widgets but they forget to mention that one of the smartphone's core functionalities has been removed. FAIL.

VOIP/SIP was one of the reasons why Symbian was better than Apple. Yet Nokia on their wisdom chose to remove it from the over hyped N97.

I love AAS and the work the guys put into this site but I wish they would be a little bit more objective, oh and stop overhyping every new Nokia that comes out. First the 5800 now the N97.

Last edited by Arthur; 08-06-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
I wanna ask about the contacts thumbnails in the stand by...its just a shortcut to the contact or its like 5800 Contact bar?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
The VGA version of the Smartphones Show plays fine (both video and audio) on the i8910 HD. On a QHD screen, SD video plays in a 480x360 area, and a 640x480 scaled-down movie looks much better than a 320x240 scaled-up one.
For reasons that I don't quite understand, the version of RealPlayer that ships on Nokia phones is very picky about what it can play. For example, as I mentioned on a previous message, I've never been able to view the (very funny) Onion News Network video podcast until I got the i8910. Going forward, I think it's a top priority for Nokia to address this problem. Ideally, it would be great if they licensed the Xvid/DivX codecs, but the very bare minimum that is required is the ability to play MP4 files. Currently, they're not properly doing that minimum.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM

To all the power users out there I will say this: forget the N97 and wait for the N900 tablet that's set to come out soon. It will include telephony functions and it will wipe the floor with the toyish S60 on the N97. Trust me.

How does this sound:

gsm/3G radio
667 mhz processor
5 mpx carl zeiss camera
32gb internal storage
wifi, gps, hspa, accelerometer
800X480 screen
full keyboard,

The one thing it doesn't have is the toyish S60.

Still excited about the N97 and its' widgets?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Mark9712

On the home screen, there is this widget where you can post a shortcut to a maximum of four contacts. Is it possible to post a shortcut to a group of contacts instead of just to four individuals?

Second question: since the N97 can be charged by USB, can I use the 2.5 mm charger from the N95 as well, or in combination with the adapter?

Many thanks in advance for the answer!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
To all the power users out there I will say this: forget the N97 and wait for the N900 tablet that's set to come out soon. It will include telephony functions and it will wipe the floor with the toyish S60 on the N97. Trust me.

How does this sound:

gsm/3G radio
667 mhz processor
5 mpx carl zeiss camera
32gb internal storage
wifi, gps, hspa, accelerometer
800X480 screen
full keyboard,

The one thing it doesn't have is the toyish S60.

Still excited about the N97 and its' widgets?
On this basis I will probably buy a N900 as long as it has a good PIM with support for Outlook categories

Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
On this basis I will probably buy a N900 as long as it has a good PIM with support for Outlook categories
If what we have heard so far is true then for the power user the N900 will be a very powerful device.

It will leave the N97 in the dust for the teenage kids who need to check Facebook every minute.

Remember this: Symbian/S60 is no longer the niche OS it was back in the Nokia 7650 days. It's been Nokia's goal all along to make S60 suitable for the masses, the Razr/Iphone crowd. Mission accomplished. From what I'm hearing from folks at Nokia they are now concentrating on true powerful PDA like devices. The N900 will be that device.

Forget the N97. Just wait a little longer.

Last edited by Arthur; 08-06-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
I am a bit bemused by one of your replies. When you gave an answer on the issue about which was better for the power user the Omnia HD or the N97. How can you really answer this when you haven't used a production standard Omnia HD, as you admitted in the other thread? Surely it would be better to withhold judgement on this issue at this stage.

Can I just say I cannot believe how little free RAM the N97 has, my old N95 8Gb manages better than that with 70Mb free.

Last edited by Super Chimp; 08-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
I am a bit bemused by one of your replies. When you gave an answer on the issue about which was better for the power user the Omnia HD or the N97. How can you really answer this when you haven't used a production standard Omnia HD, as you admitted in the other thread? Surely it would be better to withhold judgement on this issue at this stage.

Can I just say I cannot believe how little free RAM the N97 has, my old N95 8Gb manages better than that with 70Mb free.
Agreed. Again, I love AAS but this kinda reporting irritates people. Samsung had the nerve to delay sending them the Omnia to review (as Steve himself has alluded) and hence we get this biased opinion.