All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 AM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
How To Guide: BlackBerry Push Email on P910x

This is an ‘unofficial’ reference guide to provision your p910x handset to work with BlackBerry push email service. There are some prerequisites that must be met.

Requirements:

Overview:

This guide is ‘unofficial’ primarily because the SE BB Connect software has not been released globally. The only official release to-date is in Asia as confirmed in a press release (available @ blackberry.com). That said, this guide should help you get your handset setup to work with the latest BB connect software in the States and Europe.

What this guide will allow you to do is configure your P910x for BB Instant Email and BlackBerry (corporate) Solution.

Note:
  • “Instant Email” will allow you to have your POP3 (i.e. Yahoo, GMail, ect..) emails pushed directly to your handset.
  • ”BlackBerry Solution” will allow you to have your corporate email pushed directly to your handset, allow remote lookup of addresses/phone #s, and synchronize your calendar.

Warning! Due to this software being an ‘unofficial’ release neither your service provider nor RIM will be held responsible for support. All support requests will be met at the discretion of the customer support representative for your service provider or RIM. They have the right to refuse support. That being said, this board may be your safe haven for technical advice or first hand experience.

BB “Instant Email” Setup

Note:
  • In order to establish a connection to the BlackBerry service your account must not only be provisioned correctly, but your account must be pointing to the correct APN. In this instance the correct APN is “blackberry.net”.

This can be verified by simply doing the following:

“Control Panel” -> “Internet accounts” -> select “BES BlackBerry.net” then choose “edit” -> “advanced” then view the name under “address”. It must be displayed as “blackberry.net”. If not change it to that. I have noticed that the initial install may create an alternate address.

In order to utilize other GPRS dependent services (i.e. IM, Internet Browser, etc..) you must pause the BlackBerry service and select the appropriate internet account to connect to (i.e. T-Zones, etc..). The BlackBerry service should resume automatically if you close down the program that was utilizing the alternate internet account.

Install the SE BB Client software (.sis file) on the handset. Also install the SE BB Desktop software (optional).

1st Choose: “Provision” then select “Instant Email”
2nd Choose: “Register Now”

Once it is installed you should see an icon displayed in the Task bar. What you may have noticed as well is that a "Web Client (Messaging)" was created in your Service Books tab (view SE BB Client software settings profile).

Visit the BB Web Client page and create a profile. It will require your PIN # and IMEI both of which are accessible through the SE BB client software settings located in your phone. Integrate (Manually Add) your existing POP3 email accounts to the BB Web Client.

You should receive an activation notification email from the BB Web Client service which in turn would have created a "Web Client" email account under the "Messages" tab in your phone.

BB Blackberry Solution Setup

Note:
  • In order to establish a connection to the BlackBerry service your account must not only be provisioned correctly, but your account must be pointing to the correct APN. In this instance the correct APN is “blackberry.net”.

This can be verified by simply doing the following:

“Control Panel” -> “Internet accounts” -> select “BES BlackBerry.net” then choose “edit” -> “advanced” then view the name under “address”. It must be displayed as “blackberry.net”. If not change it to that. I have noticed that the initial install may create an alternate address.

In order to utilize other GPRS dependent services (i.e. IM, Internet Browser, etc..) you must pause the BlackBerry service and select the appropriate internet account to connect to (i.e. T-Zones, etc..). The BlackBerry service should resume automatically if you close down the program that was utilizing the alternate internet account.

Install the SE BB Client software (.sis file) on the handset. Also install the SE BB Desktop software.

Note:
  • Upon installing the desktop software you must choose the appropriate email client available through your corporate account (i.e. Outlook Exchange server or Domino Lotus Notes).

1st Choose: “Provision” then select “Blackberry Solution”

Note:
  • Connect your P910x to the cradle then launch the BB Configuration software.

2nd Choose: “Register Now”

You should notice your pin # (8 digits) displayed in the “Pin” box.

Select: “Redirect incoming messages to your handset”
Click: “Connect” box to sync message books to your handset.

Note:
  • The “Connect” box will only be selectable if your handset is docked.

You should receive an activation notification email from the BB service which in turn would have created a "BlackBerry" email account under the "Messages" tab in your phone.

BlackBerry Service Connection Verification

• Caution: The settings profile should display the service status. To verify whether the handset has made a connection to the blackberry service, refer to the following illustrations:

General BlackBerry Functionality

If your account has been provisioned for the BlackBerry Solution you will also be able to utilize the BlackBerry Web Client without having to toggle between accounts. The BlackBerry service should allow you to share messages by communicating through email accounts or between PIN numbers. The latter is a functionality that is exclusive to the BlackBerry service and is synonymous to that of an “IM” service for BlackBerry account holders only.

The BB connect software allows one to receive attachments and browse them through its proprietary viewer. The file size limitation is infinite. However, being that messages are pushed to the handset and not downloaded the attachments are displayed in a structured tree format. The user has the flexibility to expand/collapse the attachment by simply clicking on the tree [+]/[-] icons. This in turn sends a request to the server to push additional data that may be associated with the attachment to the handset. The response time is fairly quick, however, a lag may occur if the attachment is extremely large or the server is bogged down. The following illustrations display a test message with multiple attachments sent to a BES account;

The BB connect software (BlackBerry Solution) also allows one to look up addresses on the corporate server and synchronize calendars.

P910x Latest Firmware:

SE BB Connect Icon:

This guide is intended to be used as an informal reference guide for board members. There is a more comprehensive guide available with the download package, however, this guide offers a simplified synopsis of the general setup processes. If anyone has experience and/or useful information regarding BlackBerry service + P910x please share it with us.

Note: Please "Sticky" this guide as a reference post. PM me with further questions/concerns or post it in this thread.

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Last edited by Bigfeat; 05-06-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
NYC567user

Hi, I'm in the US and I got the Corporate Blackberry mail portion working on my P910a. Thanks for posting the Web Client Portion. Good work!

Unfortunately I have no pics to show...but the Corporate option is basically the same, except that you get a Coporate Contacts option in your contacts addressbook. This does the same lookup for corporate addressbook on the server as the regular Blackberries.

The calendar gets overwritten by the Corporate calendar, so make sure your personal calendar is backed up before you synchronize.

Mail behaves just like a blackberry device including attachments, meaning the text extraction happens......thus no real attachments or edits.

What I do miss is the ability to HTTP back into my company's Intranet, the same way the blackberries allow this. But if you read RIM's web site, this is not one of the option's on Blackberry Connect...so I guess that is an option that one has to consider if switching to p910 for Blackberry.

The one problem I have is battery capacity. If I use the device from 7AM to about 7 PM with my Bluetooh headset on and Blackberry traffic...a few phone calls..and no charging during the day...it will eventually drain the battery. This is something bothers me a bit since the 7290 and 7520 Blackberries with bluetooth last an entire day with the same type of usage. Would you know if there is a higher capacity battery for the p910?

Old 06-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nice guide. Thanks.

I have now sticked this topic.

Rafe

Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC567user
Hi, I'm in the US and I got the Corporate Blackberry mail portion working on my P910a. Thanks for posting the Web Client Portion. Good work!

Unfortunately I have no pics to show...but the Corporate option is basically the same, except that you get a Coporate Contacts option in your contacts addressbook. This does the same lookup for corporate addressbook on the server as the regular Blackberries.

The calendar gets overwritten by the Corporate calendar, so make sure your personal calendar is backed up before you synchronize.

Mail behaves just like a blackberry device including attachments, meaning the text extraction happens......thus no real attachments or edits.

What I do miss is the ability to HTTP back into my company's Intranet, the same way the blackberries allow this. But if you read RIM's web site, this is not one of the option's on Blackberry Connect...so I guess that is an option that one has to consider if switching to p910 for Blackberry.

The one problem I have is battery capacity. If I use the device from 7AM to about 7 PM with my Bluetooh headset on and Blackberry traffic...a few phone calls..and no charging during the day...it will eventually drain the battery. This is something bothers me a bit since the 7290 and 7520 Blackberries with bluetooth last an entire day with the same type of usage. Would you know if there is a higher capacity battery for the p910?

I'm curious to see how the Corporate setup is going to pan out. Keep in mind that this SE BB software client is still not official. So there might be some fine tuning yet to come. Which in this case leaves room for improvement to at least match what the current BB handhelds can do nowadays. There is no magic in this software now. Especially being that BB competitors like Smarter has already had a working client for the Pxxx line of phones. However, consumers continue to go to RIM for their applications despite the other options available on the market. Compatibility is the key issue. So if everyone is using BB in your company chances are you better get a BB compliant device. There's a bit of flexibility on the personal side, but yet the name can weigh so much into the decision.

As to the battery capacity I would say that's a hardware issue that you can't really compare to another manufacturer's device. I've also seen battery depletion vary from same model units. I for one can go through an entire day with an overnight charge using a headset, chat client, etc.

There is a newer version of the standard battery (BST-15) that has a higher capacity that you can pick-up for under $60. Just do a search on that model # and it should have a capacity of 1260mAh I think. The standard battery provides 1000mAh. I do believe they have the same model # so the key is to look for the extra capacity battery. That should help you get by a couple more hours maybe.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Bram Minnee is on a distinguished road
Hi there!

So far:
- i've installed blackberry software v. 2.25
- received an instant email account via T-mobile Netherlands

The problem i'm encountering is that i cannot connect to the BlackBerry service. The software seems to work just fine but i do not receive a service book from the webclient, resulting in a disconnect.

This means i cannot use any functionality from the webclient. Do you have any idea about what i'm doing wrong? Officially T-mobile Netherlands doesn't support the SE P910i.

Thanks in advance!

Old 15-04-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram Minnee
Hi there!

So far:
- i've installed blackberry software v. 2.25
- received an instant email account via T-mobile Netherlands

The problem i'm encountering is that i cannot connect to the BlackBerry service. The software seems to work just fine but i do not receive a service book from the webclient, resulting in a disconnect.

This means i cannot use any functionality from the webclient. Do you have any idea about what i'm doing wrong? Officially T-mobile Netherlands doesn't support the SE P910i.

Thanks in advance!
YGM

For everyone else: The software is no longer functioning through T-Mo. RIM has pulled the plug on it due to compliance issue of non-released/non-validated software utilizing their system. So sit tight until an official release hits the market.

Old 16-05-2005, 02:05 PM
fabrizio

blackberry software v. 2.25

where I can find the software "blackberry software v. 2.25"
thank you

Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Please be advised that the guide has been revised to reflect latest BB connect software install instructions. Please review for reference purposes.

Old 16-06-2005, 10:56 PM

manojt is on a distinguished road
Webclient not appearing after SE BB Client installation

Hi Bigfeat,
I have installed SE BB client as you mentioned in your forum. I am getting all other services like Blackberry(messaging), Blackberry(calendar), BlackBerry(Address Lookup)but I am not gettig "Web Client (Messaging)" service on my p910i phone. With out this I am not able to get my instant mail service.can you please help me to resolve this issue.
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj

Old 17-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojt
Hi Bigfeat,
I have installed SE BB client as you mentioned in your forum. I am getting all other services like Blackberry(messaging), Blackberry(calendar), BlackBerry(Address Lookup)but I am not gettig "Web Client (Messaging)" service on my p910i phone. With out this I am not able to get my instant mail service.can you please help me to resolve this issue.
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj
Can you provide details as to what you have done so far to not be able to get it working?

Old 25-07-2006, 03:14 AM

P910buff is on a distinguished road
P910 Internal memory (space) problem

Folks I've been using P910 with Blackberry feature for almost 2 years now. I've realized that my internal space (around 64 MB) is slowly coming down and now it stands @ 2MB. I see memory leak Or space getting eatned up on a daily basis. Now I've moved most of the Img/Jpeg/audio ringtones to memory stick duo. Now i don't have any other option to make some space in the local memory of the phone. Looks like i need to remove some S/W components like Video recorder etc. to make some space for next 1 week survival. Is there any cleanup tool apart from storage wizard(in my opinion useless) to remove/free the leaked space. Any help is appreciate on this. Thanks for your time folks
Ads

Old 14-01-2007, 02:51 PM

bsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC567user

I have the same problem