All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Battle of the Budget Smartphones: Email and Web

Continuing his budget smartphone review mini-series, which is looking at the £100 ZTE Racer (powered by Android) when compared to Nokia's similarly priced 5230 (Symbian powered), Ewan evaluates the respective device's email and web browsing functionality. He finds that there's balance with plus and minus points on both sides. In part one of the series Ewan compared the relative merits of base hardware specifications of each device.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

My unlocked 5230 cost a full 20% less than £100.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
That it did, but the barrier of £100 is an important psychological one, hence choosing the smartphones that legitimately reach or drop under this value in the High Street,
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 18-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
...and to be fair the ZTE is only just out... there's a good chance it price will fall in time too.

Saw a high street price of £50 (I think) for a 5230 a week or so ago, but that involved trading in some existing equipment IIRC.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
...and to be fair the ZTE is only just out... there's a good chance it price will fall in time too.

Saw a high street price of £50 (I think) for a 5230 a week or so ago, but that involved trading in some existing equipment IIRC.
I think that was carphone Warehouse and about £35-£50 for a 5230 if you traded in a GPS unit. Which is an intersting marketing angle as well.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

I don't know how long the 5230 has been available but my sub £80 one was purchased way back, I recall it was in the unusually snowy weather that we were having in the UK at the time.

Old 18-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

I hate to sound pedantic but I believe it should read "lets websites breathE", not "websites breath".

Nice article overall. Now that touch screens and QWERTY keypads have permeated the bottom end of Nokia's hierarchy (read: S40), can we expect AAS to do a comparo of similar S60 and S40 devices in the future? (example: C3 vs E63/E5 or X3-02 vs 5230/5233)

Old 18-08-2010, 01:28 PM
_fakefur

ewan i'm sorry but i am absolutely unable to believe that you cannot disable the 3G connection on the ZTE Racer ... all android phones can do this as it's part of the core android OS ... when it picks up a wifi signal it automatically shuts off 3G

are you saying that when on wifi the 3G is still going?
you could not find the (stock) widget that allows these things to be switched on and off?
if not, then in networks -> mobile data there is a simple way to switch it on and off

this is standard android ... maybe you didn't find it yet?

Old 18-08-2010, 01:37 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
I'm intrigued as to why people regularly try Opera Mini.

Its horrible. I was using it for a few months (it is better than the S60 browser on the 5230), and then started with Opera Mobile. Similar look, but a much MUCH better application overall.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
I'm intrigued as to why people regularly try Opera Mini.

Its horrible. I was using it for a few months (it is better than the S60 browser on the 5230), and then started with Opera Mobile. Similar look, but a much MUCH better application overall.
I am an Opera Mini user, I use it because despite all the lies that the networks tell in their marketing, 3G coverage is not much use, and Opera Mini does a better job of fast loading pages over poor connections than Opera Mobile.

I have an iPhone (along with other phones) and mini is my preferred browser for the same reason.

Turbo mode on Mobile is NOT The same as mini compression. I can tell you from experience that mini is necessary.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fakefur View Post
ewan i'm sorry but i am absolutely unable to believe that you cannot disable the 3G connection on the ZTE Racer ... all android phones can do this as it's part of the core android OS ... when it picks up a wifi signal it automatically shuts off 3G

you could not find the (stock) widget that allows these things to be switched on and off?
if not, then in networks -> mobile data there is a simple way to switch it on and off

What I want is to have Wifi off AND 3G off at the same time. Yes 3g cuts out when wifi is connected, but when NOT in wifi, the3G is contstantly shouting over the radio circuits to eitehr make or maintain a conenction, it's a HUGE battery drain and I believe it should be part of the OS to have this as a simple switch... relying on thir party apps to pick up a missing piece of the design is a poor show for ANY manufacturer.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fakefur View Post

I can confirm this behaviour on Android 1.5 and 1.6, the change over from 3G to WiFi does not happen reliably - I find it is more of a problem on some WiFi APs than others. It's not just the ZTE racer, but the pulse and the X10 mini also do it.

Sometimes they will swap to WiFi but then drop it an go back to 3G again. On the same AP my iPhone is 100% reliable in the same scenario.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Fred* is on a distinguished road
Clomult!

Thank you so much for your comment about Opera Mobile vs. Opera Mini. I've been suffering through Mini for several months now and didn't know about Mobile. Just installed Mobile. What a difference!

Thanks!

Old 18-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Re 3G, Ewan means that when out and about away from the city centre, the last thing you want is a power hungry data signal draining your battery all the time. Far better to go online in short bursts so that you limit how much high-power radio work is needed....

Old 18-08-2010, 03:32 PM
_fakefur

@ewan @unregistered - if that's the case with the zte racer then it's a crap phone period and should be banished from any comparison as it would be useless as a phone in the real world

i would be shocked beyond belief if you cannot actually turn off both wifi and 3G through the network settings ... they would have had to remove that functionality from stock android which would be ridiculous

i am not talking about "unreliable" switching etc etc as this can be explained by dodgy signal strengths / dodgy wifi points etc ... i'm talking the basic ability to go into settings and switch off the radios , ie, flight mode

you are abslutely saying that this phone DOES NOT have a setting to switch off the 3G radio and wifi yes?