All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 01-08-2003, 11:39 PM
witschey witschey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
witschey is on a distinguished road
How to connect P800 to a Belkin Bluetooth Access Point?

Hi,

I want to connect my P800 to a Belkin Bluetooth Access Point (Model F8T030).
The P800 has successfully discovered the Belkin Access Point and it has paired with it. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point has successfully connected to my LAN and has ALSO been successful at connecting to the internet.

The problem is that I don't know how to initiate a Bluetooth serial connection FROM the P800.

I already know how to initiate a serial connection from a bluetooth enabled PC to the P800. But in this case I don't want to get the PC involved.

I want to connect to the internet using the Belkin Bluetooth Access point which is a self contained Bluetooth Access Point that is independent completely from my PC. This Access Point supports the Bluetooth Profiles of GAP, SDP, LAN Access, Serial, PAN. It has Network DHCP, NAT via Bluetooth. It also has built in TCP/IP.

Since the P800 is able to access the internet after a serial connection has been established between a bluetooth enabled PC and the P800 (initiated by the PC), then I guess that all I need to get internet access through the Belkin Bluetooth Access Point is to initiate a serial connection between the P800 and the access point.

The problem is that unlike all regular PDAs out there, the P800 doesn't seem to have a menu for establishing a serial connection or a LAN PPP connection with a bluetooth device.

Is any of you developing a program that would allow establishing a serial connection FROM the p800? Does anybody know if there is a third party solution for this, or if SE is planning to include this feature in the next firmware upgrade.

Regards,

Paul 8)

  #2  
Old 02-08-2003, 01:55 AM
GhostDog's Avatar
GhostDog GhostDog is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Skopje,Macedonia
Posts: 6,356
GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I would be speculating if i say that the feature you requested would or would not be available in future firmware upgrade but i'm sure that it does not exist in the form of a third party application.One of AAS's members devloped an app that runs on PC and autostarts a serial connection when the bluetooth device is in range,but that doesn't help you very much,does it? ops:
__________________
www.symbiandiaries.com/ghostdog



Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

  #3  
Old 02-08-2003, 02:29 PM
witschey witschey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
witschey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
I would be speculating if i say that the feature you requested would or would not be available in future firmware upgrade but i'm sure that it does not exist in the form of a third party application.One of AAS's members devloped an app that runs on PC and autostarts a serial connection when the bluetooth device is in range,but that doesn't help you very much,does it? oops
cry The application you are referring to is a very good application for those people who want to connect their P800 to their bluetooth enabled PC; but unfortunately that is not what I am looking for.

You see the Belkin Bluetooth Access Point is very nice in that it is a self contained bluetooth access solution. The only thing that it needs is an ethernet connection and power. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point stays on all the time, and grants bluetooth access to internet (if the connected LAN is connected to the internet) to any bluetooth client that initiates a LAN PPP or Serial connection to it. Manybluetooth enabled PDA's in the market are able to initiate this type of connections. For example Compaq Ipaq with bluetooth PDA Adapter Card from Belkin, Compaq Ipaq with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, Compaq Ipaq H3800 with built-in Bluetooth, HP Jornada with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, Casio Pocket PC, Toshiba 570 with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, All Palm OS version 4.1 or greater with SDIO card.

I think that the P800 is technically capable of doing it, but Sony Ericsson forgot (or didn't care) to ship the proper software for this. I am hoping that somebody who reads this forum will have come accross the same problem and will have either found a third party solution for this or created an application for it.

My objective is to put this Belkin Bluetooth Access Point in the TV room so that I can chat with friends and receive e-mail while I am watching a program....and so that my friends who also have P800's or some of the other PDAs I mentioned above are able to do the same at the same time. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point allows something like 5 or 7 simultaneous users to gain internet access through it.

The PC solution you are referring to would work for me, because

- It requires a bluetooth enabled PC to be on all the time.

- It requires the bluetooth enabled PC to be close to the area where I want to surf (Sony Ericsson put a class 2 bluetooth transmitor on the P800; and that limits the range to 10 meters or so. Even with a class 1 bluetooth adaptor, which supposetly works for up to 100 meters) on my PC the range is only about 10 meters. Aparently the P800 which has the weaker signal determines the range).

- It requires the PC to initiate the contact with the P800 (I want the Bluetooth client to initiate the connection).

- It requires a lot of maintenance. The logs need to be cleared regularly on the solution that you proposed; and two application need to be running on that machine all the time.

But hey, thanks for replying to my post; and do let me know if you come accross some other solution.

  #4  
Old 04-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You cannto initiate a bluetooth serial connection from the handset with the default software.

However, seeing as you must be able to initiate a BT serial connection for a GPS module to work, it is possible via third party software, which I do not believe is around yet.

The P800 also does not support the Bluetooth LAN profile, so would have to be serial.

  #5  
Old 20-04-2004, 10:50 PM
rohde rohde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1
rohde is on a distinguished road
Did you find a solution to this problem?

I have the exact same setup and problem so I was wondering if you found a solution?

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by witschey
cry The application you are referring to is a very good application for those people who want to connect their P800 to their bluetooth enabled PC; but unfortunately that is not what I am looking for.

You see the Belkin Bluetooth Access Point is very nice in that it is a self contained bluetooth access solution. The only thing that it needs is an ethernet connection and power. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point stays on all the time, and grants bluetooth access to internet (if the connected LAN is connected to the internet) to any bluetooth client that initiates a LAN PPP or Serial connection to it. Manybluetooth enabled PDA's in the market are able to initiate this type of connections. For example Compaq Ipaq with bluetooth PDA Adapter Card from Belkin, Compaq Ipaq with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, Compaq Ipaq H3800 with built-in Bluetooth, HP Jornada with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, Casio Pocket PC, Toshiba 570 with Socket CompactFlash Bluetooth Card, All Palm OS version 4.1 or greater with SDIO card.

I think that the P800 is technically capable of doing it, but Sony Ericsson forgot (or didn't care) to ship the proper software for this. I am hoping that somebody who reads this forum will have come accross the same problem and will have either found a third party solution for this or created an application for it.

My objective is to put this Belkin Bluetooth Access Point in the TV room so that I can chat with friends and receive e-mail while I am watching a program....and so that my friends who also have P800's or some of the other PDAs I mentioned above are able to do the same at the same time. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point allows something like 5 or 7 simultaneous users to gain internet access through it.

The PC solution you are referring to would work for me, because

- It requires a bluetooth enabled PC to be on all the time.

- It requires the bluetooth enabled PC to be close to the area where I want to surf (Sony Ericsson put a class 2 bluetooth transmitor on the P800; and that limits the range to 10 meters or so. Even with a class 1 bluetooth adaptor, which supposetly works for up to 100 meters) on my PC the range is only about 10 meters. Aparently the P800 which has the weaker signal determines the range).

- It requires the PC to initiate the contact with the P800 (I want the Bluetooth client to initiate the connection).

- It requires a lot of maintenance. The logs need to be cleared regularly on the solution that you proposed; and two application need to be running on that machine all the time.

But hey, thanks for replying to my post; and do let me know if you come accross some other solution.
Ads

  #6  
Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
beege beege is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1
beege is on a distinguished road
Almost did it. No success either.

I got Bluetooth to pair OK. The Access Point is online through my router with its own IP address. But like the rest of you, I can not get the P800 to gain access to the Access Points IP connection.

If anyone has found a solution, please let me know. In the mean time I will be returning the Belkin for a refund. Thanks.

  #7  
Old 10-06-2004, 09:38 PM
hptabster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Q/A Manager

Hi,

We are trying the same thing. Are there any BT access points that will do this?

Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by witschey
Hi

I want to connect my P800 to a Belkin Bluetooth Access Point (Model F8T030).
The P800 has successfully discovered the Belkin Access Point and it has paired with it. The Belkin Bluetooth Access Point has successfully connected to my LAN and has ALSO been successful at connecting to the internet.

The problem is that I don't know how to initiate a Bluetooth serial connection FROM the P800.

I already know how to initiate a serial connection from a bluetooth enabled PC to the P800. But in this case I don't want to get the PC involved.

I want to connect to the internet using the Belkin Bluetooth Access point which is a self contained Bluetooth Access Point that is independent completely from my PC. This Access Point supports the Bluetooth Profiles of GAP, SDP, LAN Access, Serial, PAN. It has Network DHCP, NAT via Bluetooth. It also has built in TCP/IP.

Since the P800 is able to access the internet after a serial connection has been established between a bluetooth enabled PC and the P800 (initiated by the PC), then I guess that all I need to get internet access through the Belkin Bluetooth Access Point is to initiate a serial connection between the P800 and the access point.

The problem is that unlike all regular PDAs out there, the P800 doesn't seem to have a menu for establishing a serial connection or a LAN PPP connection with a bluetooth device.

Is any of you developing a program that would allow establishing a serial connection FROM the p800? Does anybody know if there is a third party solution for this, or if SE is planning to include this feature in the next firmware upgrade.

Regards,

Paul 8)
 

Bookmarks

Tags
access, belkin, bluetooth, connect, p800, point

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy