All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Thersonder is on a distinguished road
Web Link N8 Improvement Requests

N8 Improvements required

I have been the proud owner of the following: N80, N95, N95 8GB over the past 6 years and have just upgraded to the N8 with much anticipation. Every time I have upgraded bar the 95 - 95 8gb I have been wowed with the features and capability of my new phone. The N8 is no different, however the bugs and glitches have always been prevalent and after several firmware upgrades they have come right.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone on this forum that knows how to get the information to nokia's developers as to what I and the rest of the nokia users feel need to be improved on their phone, instead of waiting for an update that does not fix the things that we hope they will or address the pressing issues of the phone.

From my experience of a weeks use I have found the following glitches rather annoying and in desperate need of addressing.

- Either T9 dictionary (predictive text) or a portrait qwerty and integration not a text window that pops up.

- Slide to unlock included

- Notifications on the Face Book app - Why oh why was the most important part of FB left out???

- Soft menu button in home screen as the menu button is in an awkward place when you hold it one handed.

- Better support for mice - with less lag and the possibility of wireless mice to be used (although it really did amaze me that you can plug a mouse in to begin with you may as well make it right if it is included)

- better organizational support in the menus - I found myself putting everything in the root menu and sending things to folders from there, which took ages, there must be a better way (via a pc app possibly?).

- The wifi connects even if a turn it off, this kind of thing annoys me because if i run out of my capped bandwidth and it continues to use my home internet I will end up paying more than if i use my free data bundle from my service provider.

- The taps are rather erratic/ slow to respond I sometimes tap and wait wondering if it has acknowledged my command (did vibrate) and nothing so i tap more and then it might work or sometimes it worked from the first tap but is computing, it is all a but to inconsistent

- The text highlighting feature is appalling for people with big fingers

- More features for the home screen, like the android, where i can dedicate a page to contacts, and a page to calender and a page to photos.

All of these things are just nit-picking and most are not serious problems, however if they were addressed it would make my and hopefully many others n8 experiences that much better.

It should also be noted that the camera is awesome, the mail feature works beautifully, the conversation tab is intuitive and effective. There are so many awesome features this phone has, it just needs some fine tuning.

Thoughts on improvements or contacting nokia anyone else?

Old 24-11-2010, 12:59 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
i'm sure the Nokia is aware of the improvements they can make, however i do not think we are able to give them these suggestions. they'll just plod along with their updates as time goes on, regardless if we badger them everyday about it

Old 24-11-2010, 09:34 AM

njefferies is on a distinguished road
More home screens

Double height widgets (mail and calendar come to mimd here)

Cover flow for photo abums

Support for converged bluetooth keyboard/pointer combos (only KB seems to work right now).

BTW, have found that composite TV out works fine with the 5800Xm cable - which is nice for those of us with tubes (Wiimote impact resistant).

Old 24-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Thersonder is on a distinguished road
Composite

Tried my n95 composite to my CRT the other day and I can confirm it works well

Old 26-11-2010, 04:23 AM

ckj69 is on a distinguished road
- Swype to operate on T9

- improve file and folder options for moving and storing files especially photo/video movement options (i could move a photo/vid virtually anywhere on all of my old nokia's - the n8 does not (ridiculous) I don't want everyone to see private ones. the "ALL" folder is OK but you should be able to move items not just add to an album. The only fix i have seen is an external program and then hide the items in another folder which you can only access on a computer ..WT!!!!

- won't mention the browser (everyone else has)

- quick close from an application (eg a "X" in the top corner that automaticall shuts it down rather than the long winded accesssing of the current running tasks and shutting down there

- on another note...better scrutiny of apps in OVI....far too many that don't work or cause problems on your OS. No refund if they don't work is crap!!! Imagine tring that as a business owner. You would go broke.
Ads