All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-06-2009, 09:40 AM

LJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
You must place it near the antenna, not the radio unit. You guys sure you're doing this?
The specified range of the transmitter should allow you to have it within a "reasonable" range of the antenna. It's not much use if you have to leave it in the back of the car to work. Yes, you could setup a playlist BUT the battery would soon be dead without being plugged in.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:52 PM

simonwilliams is on a distinguished road
Just to add my dissatisfaction re FM Transmitter.

I tried it on my dab radio at work & it wasn't until I touched the ariel with the phone that I got anything :-(
Ads

Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Since I started this thread here is my follow-up evaluation:

You REALLY, REALLY need to experiment with "empty" frequencies to find one that will work.

When I first tried FM transmitting with my N97 it was with a clock radio and the N97 being chock-a-block to the back of the unit. Quality was poor but I was at the low end of the FM spectrum.

In my truck I experimented until a found a "wider" empty spot at the high end of the spectrum and could leave my N97 about 18" from the radio dash interface. It worked just fine until I drove past some power lines which were putting out a lot of interference. It just got blanked.

The FM feature then is something that needs a lot of trial-and-error before you can find a good frequency band, but then there are no guarantees.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

easy1355 is on a distinguished road
Angry

I have an ariel at the back of the my car, so this FM transmitter is useless.... why did Nokia even put this as a feature, is it only for the fortunate few who have their arials at the front.. not good enough Nokia, really dissapointing

Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 AM

gb229 is on a distinguished road
My ariel is also at the back of the roof of my car. The FM transmitter works perfectly over a distance of about 2m, no cracks, no noise. But I had to try some frequencies until I got it to work.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
When I first tried it over the low end frequencies, the reception was poor, crackly, sound quality not too good and had to hold it very close to the car ariel (car is left hand drive, ariel is on the right hand side )

So after a disappointing first attempt, I tried with other frequencies and got a much better reception and better sound quality.

BUT, this was literally all experimentation. The head unit in the car has an auxiliary jack plug, so can connect any other device direct to the head unit, that has a jack plug, and this is a way better sound quality. Could play the iPod through this and any other phone with standard jack plug, so this is still the preferred option to me, quick, simple, easy to use, no messing with frequencies etc, and a better sound.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I agree. If you can't make a connection using aux, you should then move to the FM transmitter.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open