All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
More Nokia 5800 XpressMusic beginner tutorial goodness

Tzer2 has created another four in our series of beginner's 'walkthrough' Nokia 5800 XpressMusic tutorials. This time round: How to customise the main menu on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, including folders and sub-folders, How to make video calls on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, SMS and MMS text messages on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and How to connect Bluetooth headphones & headsets to the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. See also the overriding index to these tutorials.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 16-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Again, deepest apologies to experienced S60 users if these articles seem patronising, but we are trying to reach out to new S60 users with this series. A lot of people do read these tutorials according to our logs so there's clearly demand for no-nonsense user guides written in plain english.

The manual that comes with the 5800 is surprisingly poor, it doesn't even mention e-mail for example, so someone has to step in and explain how to use the vast array of functions that the phone has.

As the latest figures from Nokia have shown, the 5800 is selling very well and it is probably bringing many new people to Symbian. That's why we're doing tutorials covering the basics as well as more obscure stuff.

Old 16-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Tzer2,

I just want to let you know that I am incredibly grateful for these tutorials. I'm no dummy, having been a Palm user for years (I am generally helping people over on Brighthand), but this is all very new to me and until I fully get my head around the platform metaphors, I will continue to be a little slow and clueless. These tutorials help a lot.

Thanks to all for their indulgence.

Old 16-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hooksym, thanks for that, very very glad to know these tutorials are helping experienced PDA users too!

The phrase "platform metaphor" is a really good one. OSes often seem easier to regular users than they really are because regular users of an OS understand the designers' language. A new user who doesn't know any of an OS's conventions will probably be a bit lost when they first use it.

Hopefully once S60 newbies have gone through a few of these tutorials they'll be able to discover how to use other S60 functions for themselves, as S60 apps (especially the built-in ones) all use broadly similar interface principles.

Old 16-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Are you going to go through any of the more 'complex' functions in S60, as at the moment as a long standing user of S60 I am not getting anything out of these guides. I am always keen to pick up extra tricks & tips but these guides have provided to be no use in this respect so far.

Old 16-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Super Chimp, I appreciate this is a problem, I'm sorry these haven't been a help for you.

Hopefully future stuff will be more interesting for advanced users, especially when we get onto third party apps.

One thing we are waiting for is Ovi Store's launch, as that will provide an easy way to add third party applications which should open up a lot more functionality on the 5800 (and other Nokia devices). Once that's available we'll probably be taking a look at how to use third party applications in greater depth.

Also, Steve has been doing tutorials that tend to assume a bit more knowledge than mine:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...pressMusic.php

Old 16-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Super Chimp - I know you're a power user - if you have the time I'd really appreciate your thoughts on where you think we should go / topics covered for more advanaced tutorials. I have my own ideas, but would love some feedback on this.

But yes we don't expect everyone to get something out of this. We are trying to expand the content on AAS.