All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-05-2008, 08:40 PM

confucious is on a distinguished road
Made the jump - now for the stupid Qs

My E90 turned up today and coming from WinMo it takes a bit of getting used to.

So far I am very impressed, I love the form factor, bigger than a normal phone but not as big as my Ameo, but nor is the screen. I think I will like the E90 but I'm used to WinMo and changing OSs causing me some problems - hopefully you guys can sort me out so appologies if my questions seem obvious!

My biggest problem is connecting to my Exchange server (it is my personal server for push email running SBS 2003) I downloaded the cert and changed the the extension from cer to der - I then copied it to the phone and ran it and it asked me to save the cert but I still get the error 'Unable to create a secure connection to this server'. Any ideas?

Downloads - lots give me a '403:Content Blocked' error (and windows live says 'Loading dependency 'Mail and IM' then nothing happens. I'm on T-Mobile UK.

How do you get it to 'remember' settings? eg I managed to download and install the Michelin Guide and told it which connection to use but every time I go in it still asks if it should allow it to use the network - the answer is YES - how do I get it to remember that? Then it asks which access point to use! I've already told it! Why does it ask again?

Again, with downloads it seems to ask lots of questions, I have to press yes to accept it, to download it, to install it, to let it access data etc, etc. Is there a way of reducing the questions?

It is very different from WinMo so please bare with me, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Old 16-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Got a bit further with exchange, installed the cert but it now errors on the .local cert which I have to accept each time - haven't found a way of sorting this yet.

Got my 4Gb card so now have some music but can't get my SE BT stereo headset to pair - with my WM device if it was set to discoverable as soon as I turned on the headset it found my phone and asked to pair - this doesn't happen with the Nokia - any ideas?

Thanks

Old 18-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Seem to have got rid of the 403 Errors by changing 'Settings | Applications | App manager' and set 'Software installation' to "All". and 'Online certif check' to "Off"

[Edit] OK - that worked for some downloads but not all - still getting 403 on some sites.[/Edit]

Last edited by confucious; 19-05-2008 at 03:27 PM.