All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-10-2004, 03:43 PM

c64dude is on a distinguished road
Sudden PC Suite problems: Can't converting EPOC Word files

Hey there.

I have previously been running PC Suite 2.11 for Nokia 9210i, with my Nokia 9210 (not i), on my PC, without problems.

However, recently I had to reinstall my Windows XP and have not reinstalled PC Suite until now, and in the meantime I have installed the Service Pack 2 update. (Not because that HAS to be the cause of the problem.. Still, it makes you wonder).

Now I reinstalled PC Suite. During the installation I got the message that some files could not register themselves. But the programs seems to run perfectly none the less...

EXCEPT that now I can't open Word documents stored on my communicator, from my PC - And (except for Backup) I can't copy them to PC either: At first it seems to be retrieving the document alright, but when the dialogue comes up prompting me to select text format type to convert to, and I click the Convert button, I just get an error message saying "PC Suit could not , because an unexpected error has occured"

There is no problems with opening file types; known by my PC, like .jpg or .txt - only with EPOC Word documents. - regardless of which text format I try to convert to.

-I also tried saving an EPOC Word document in Microsoft Word 97 and 2000 formats: ...These documents could be transferred to my PC. But when I try to open them with MS Word I get an error message; that Word encountered an error with the document. WordPad could open it. But it's more or less rubbish.

-

Please can anyone help me with this? Cos I really need to be able to access my Word documents.

Perhaps someone know a converter program which can convert the files directly from my backup?

Last edited by c64dude; 10-10-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Ads

Old 03-11-2004, 10:11 AM
XPEPOCUSER

We have EXACTLY the same problem - except that all we did was install Windows XP Service Pack 2. EPOC Word files we could open in Word before the install, we can no longer gain access to.

We don't copy the files across; they arrive by e-mail. Now this integral part of our business is not working and I can't find any answers!!

The 'error' message we get is;

The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
(C:\...\[document-name].doc)

Their suggestions produce the same message.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Manila

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEPOCUSER
We have EXACTLY the same problem - except that all we did was install Windows XP Service Pack 2. EPOC Word files we could open in Word before the install, we can no longer gain access to.

We don't copy the files across; they arrive by e-mail. Now this integral part of our business is not working and I can't find any answers!!

The 'error' message we get is;

The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
(C:\...\[document-name].doc)

Their suggestions produce the same message.

i found a work-around this problem. but it's quite tedious.

1. install windows xp (without any service pack)
2. install your communicator program
3. update windows xp to service pack 1 or 2.

the problem seems to be in the registration procedure on installation of the communicator program.

if you have windows xp sp2 installer (and not the upate) it's impossible to be able to make the word conversion work.

hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:00 PM
XPEPOCUSER

Reply to Thread

Hi Manila,

Thanks for your suggestion (seems quite daunting at this time of the day!!).

We don't use the communicator software as the communicators never come to the workplace. We just use the Word files that they send to us.

If you ever find another workaround (wouldn't really like to remove SP2 as the firewall is invaluable) I would be very interested to find out what it is!!

Thanks again.

Old 13-11-2004, 12:47 AM

Manila is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEPOCUSER
Hi Manila,

Thanks for your suggestion (seems quite daunting at this time of the day!!).

We don't use the communicator software as the communicators never come to the workplace. We just use the Word files that they send to us.

If you ever find another workaround (wouldn't really like to remove SP2 as the firewall is invaluable) I would be very interested to find out what it is!!

Thanks again.
actually, it's not about removing SP2.

you need to FORMAT your PC for this workaround to work. it's systematic and removing sp2/1 wont help at all.

format.
install winxp without any sp
install pc suite for communicator
install winxp service packs (1 or 2)

this is the only way it worked for me...
ciao!