All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Poll: For N8 Owners ONLY: Where was yours made in?
Poll Options
For N8 Owners ONLY: Where was yours made in?

Old 14-10-2010, 04:39 AM

m80116 is on a distinguished road
NOKIA N8: China or Finland

Were did you get yours from ? Please answer in the poll if you know it.
Taking for granted from sources I know there are currently 2 plants that assemble N8s: one in Finland, the other in China.

Do you have any preference?

How can you find out (and choose) before you buy?

Old 14-10-2010, 06:27 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Does it matter? Same device, from same manufacturer, from the same parts. Just assembled in a different country.

Old 14-10-2010, 06:42 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Does it matter? Same device, from same manufacturer, from the same parts. Just assembled in a different country.
Just quietly if its made in China it might just do what I want it to out of the box. Without messy code changes / font add-ons .. and general pissing about.

They also might have different package contents.

As to Build quality you are right its hard to distinguish between high end devices made in China vs those made in Europe.

Old 14-10-2010, 07:47 AM

An N8 made in China, but not intended for a Chinese speaking region, will still require font add-ons, if you need Chinese fonts (or fonts not intended for the region which the device/firmware is intended for, regardless of which factory Nokia decided to make it in).

The package contents in general, also are not reflective of which factory the device was made in, but for which region/country/customer it is made for.

Old 14-10-2010, 12:40 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
what if you want the unit that's built in finland, but its not available in your country, thus forcing you to import a set from said country, and not being covered under warranty?

there's not much of a distinction between "made in china" and "made in finland". they wouldn't have put a plant in china to build the sets without proper QA.

you may be referring to china sets being inferior, but if so, you should think that what you may be referring to are knockoffs and not the real stuff.

Old 14-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Here is a link to an interesting ongoing discussion (in comments) about where it was made and how reliable it performs the N8 in its current release.

Pre production samples seem to be made from the Salo plant in Finland. While now shipping worldwide you might also have a chance to get a Chinese built N8.

http://nokiaexperts.com/preordered-n...gray/#comments

Old 21-10-2010, 03:26 AM

I now wonder if the country of origin is linked with device colour or any other spec.

Still waiting for some positive feedback from Chinese made N8 buyers.
Ads

Old 21-10-2010, 10:47 AM

genXhippie is on a distinguished road
I've had my N8 for two days now.Still, I've already experienced bugginess(screen not rotating, non-responsiveness, wifi connection problems, and one freeze up in which the phone had to be shut off) occasionally. Really, I don't believe it matters at all where the phone is made. So, I'm really looking forward to the first firmware to bring stability to the N8 more than anything else.

Btw, it was made in Finland.

Last edited by genXhippie; 21-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Old 21-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
I recall my 6600 warranty not being honoured by Nokia due to where it was assembled. Unfortunately due to the country I was living in I stood no chance of getting anywhere with my claim. I had forgotten about this incident with Nokia... Maybe I won't get the N8 afterall!

Old 22-10-2010, 06:12 AM

Where the phone was assembled is not a reason for not honouring the warranty, but whether it was originally manufactured for that country/region for sale or not might be.

E.g., if the phone was intended for, say, Hong Kong, and someone imported it to the UK (for example) and flashed it with UK firmware, then the Nokia service center would still show (from the IMEI, possibly also the product code, if it wasn't changed when the firmware was updated), that it was originally made for Hong Kong, and is thus outside the UK/EU warranty area.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM

hushus is on a distinguished road
where's made does matter

well, i personally have no against things made in china, but for a pricey gadget, where's made does matter. First of all, i've paid $670 with tax for the N8 here in Canada and when i first received the phone, the top cap weren't even tapped in properly due to an over hanging plastic piece inside. After days of exploring the phone, i then noticing that there's a black blurred dot in every fricken pictures i've taken with the N8. I soon realized that there was actually a piece of dirt trapped right inside the lens. Phone sent back, refund given AND YES mine was made in CHINA!! - AMY

Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
you sent a phone back because of one hardware issue and swear off phones made in china from then? ok........

there will always be QA issues wherever the phone was made. that's a given fact.

i still do not see the justification in seeing this as an issue. Apple, HTC, etc have their phones assembled in China too. i bet they wouldn't have gone through with it if they did not conduct a thorough research as to why it is an inferior product compared to being manufactured in Europe, or America.