All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-09-2009, 12:33 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Accuracy in Meters for working GPS?

I don't use my gps for car nav so I've not been sure whether my GPS is faulty or not.

I've just watched a video of some guy using the copper wire fix and he was showing how the accuracy improves to about 30 meters, or there abouts.

So, based on this measure, what accuracy would you expcect from a working unit, with a clear sky and the phone being stationary?

I've stuck mine out on the garden table and I'm getting about 30 ish too.

I've got someone waiting to take my old N95 but I'm so sure that I'll have to take my N97 back at some point I can't bare to part with it!!

Old 25-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
An accuracy of 30m and you want to take it back? The people who are having GPS problems can't get better then 100m accuracy, if it locks on at all. Yours is fine, the theoretical best is about 10-15m. Mine gets similar results outside too, but with A-GPS on i'd say it usually best guesses my exact location to within about 10m

Old 25-09-2009, 12:58 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I don't necessarily want to take it back for 30m, but I didn't know if 30m was good or bad.

I just went outside again and it's now on 70 to 100

Old 25-09-2009, 02:05 PM

gnm11 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Well, my old N95 gives me an accuracy of 8-17m when receiving 6 satellites which I usually do in open terrain. I have no troubles with navigating in car.
My new N97 however keeps skipping GPS, the signal drops to 0 every 20 secs.
The accuracy is pending between 30m to 150m and is impossible to navigate with. It keeps recalculating route everytime i loosing signal and the inaccuracy makes it think I'm on a nearby road when driving.

I have now sent it for repair a second time (first time they just reflashed the firmware, useless as I allready had done that. It's hardware problem for sure)

Old 25-09-2009, 10:03 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Actually the bigger issue is with the accuracy of the maps itself and depending upon your location in the world. I know for a fact that Garmin for example has various offsets for different countries (and the China map being that off requiring an application adjustment to be usable).

The other thing too is that the Internal GPS updating may be a little slow if you are going at high velocities along with the internal updating of the application itself. So at 120km/h might be a little laggy relative to slower 40km/h speeds.

Old 25-09-2009, 11:18 PM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post

The other thing too is that the Internal GPS updating may be a little slow if you are going at high velocities along with the internal updating of the application itself. So at 120km/h might be a little laggy relative to slower 40km/h speeds.

Bullsh!t :p

I used to use my N95 (the original one, not the 8gb one) to navigate my way between Frankfurt and Berlin and I would often go over 220km/h and the n95 would never lose a signal or lose its accuracy. This is while it was playing music!!!

the N97 is a piece of crap. Shame on nokia for selling such a pos product for such a high price to us fools!

Old 26-09-2009, 01:22 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
My N97's GPS is one of those that lags significantly behind my position even at speeds approaching 10 mph!

This has to be an OS and driver related issue as my N97's GPS worked quite well and robustly at v10 firmware with Maps 2.0.

If you want a GPS get a TomTom or Garmin or whatever, but don't count on the N97 to reliably tell you where you are (mine has told me that I'm -294 ft below sea level!! ) or tell you how to get to where you want to go.

Old 26-09-2009, 08:05 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieindubai View Post
I used to use my N95 (the original one, not the 8gb one) to navigate my way between Frankfurt and Berlin and I would often go over 220km/h and the n95 would never lose a signal or lose its accuracy. This is while it was playing music!!!

the N97 is a piece of crap. Shame on nokia for selling such a pos product for such a high price to us fools!
Wow. you're so great.. doing over 220km/h whilst scientifically measuring yourself against your tiny screened N95 to be so damn accurate (within 5m of) whilst playing music?

I can also fly at Mach 3 and talk less bullshit then you..
Ads

Old 26-09-2009, 03:22 PM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
first of all, 220 isnt that fast you know, esp if the autobahn is empty. Secondly, its not hard to see that the n95's green gps bar was green or yellow. third, it would show me the exits on time. And its not like my eyes were glued on the phone. fourth, I didnt always travel by myself and did have a passenger in the car at times. And lastly, I didnt know that you have to do some scientific measurements in order to know if the phone is losing the gps signal or not

Anyways I have no reason to BS. Am just pissed off because I wasted 400 Euros on a piece of sh!t phone and having a hard time selling it a week later for the same price.

Sorry if I offended your pride of being an owner of a "working" N97 unit. Not all of us are as lucky as you are you know

Last edited by boogieindubai; 26-09-2009 at 03:27 PM.