All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-05-2009, 05:36 PM

arg0 is on a distinguished road
I agree that the definition of smartphone may be fuzzy, but I would have included the iPhone in the test. It's not among the best ones anyway. Maybe their definition is "a phone where you can install another application to do the same task" (like replace the Agenda, or the SMS editor) which is not the case for Apple's (smart)phone.

Overall I am really pleased with my 5800. As usability goes, it's way better than my former HTC device (but then again that was a HTC Prophet), and the form factor is just perfect. The Nokia still lacks from little availability of software, though, and maps would be much more useful with a built-in compass.
Ads

Old 20-05-2009, 05:41 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Should I go for this or wait for the E55?

Old 20-05-2009, 06:08 PM

architengi is on a distinguished road
Winner against RIM, G1 Android and iPhone

It is clear the Nokia 5800 is a winner in multimedia against
* iPhone (no video, 2MP),
* Blackberry Storm,
* HTC G1 Android,
* Samsung WM Omnia

Old 21-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Unregistered

No mention that ..

The Tocco is clearly not a smartphone either ?

Of course the 5800 is the clear multimedia winner over the the BB Bold and the T-Mobile G1 which for the most part are dissapointments on several fronts, not just multimedia.

Old 21-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Mattcc

I am actually not a fan of the iphone, mostly due to how Apple has crippled it's potential. I have had my 5800 NAM for 3 or so months now and love it. I can see how it was ranked 1st among the competition.

What will be more interesting in the battle for mobile media is what happens with the app stores. Phones are becoming platforms for other 'stuff' just like your personal computer or netbook.

With multiple hardware providers building phones for symbian os lets hope that the certification authority so that developers so not need to certify with both Nokia for Ovi and Sony Ericsson. Lets hope Symbian as an open source entitiy gets some balls.

Old 22-05-2009, 02:21 AM

sciroccokid is on a distinguished road
Ugh.. iphone.... HDomnia had a decent write up on a few of the more recent VS. matchup's between the i8910 HD Omnia and its predecessors and future competition. It is a fairly subjective matter at the end of the day. Now if we take price in to consideration that is when it gets really complicated!

Old 24-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Unregistered

The 5800 is a great multimedia phone but that does not exempt the comparison or test from sounding rigged or fixed. If multimedia includes 3D games, the iPhone would stomp it due to the built in 3D accelerator, a much better music store, and having lots of amazing games. The 5800 also has key issues on certain file formats.

Old 25-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

What a pathetic device by Nokia...i bought this device TWICE over a span of 1 month. The first one was newly bought and defected and the Nokia Center didnt even know how to fix the problem in the first place. (btw it was the stereo speaker which was defected). And the second time i just got bored of it due to the lack of apps and games and sluggish OS. I am not a proud owner of an iPhone 3G and let me tell you a little something, by jailbreaking which is very easy i am able to video record, cut and paste, send files via bluetooth and much much more.

Nokia is starting to screw up big time with their cheap quality build.

Old 29-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Praise from a non-Nokia user

I am not a Nokia user. Own a 5800 XM for last few weeks and it is greatly exceeded my expectations. Yes I have used iPhone and iPod touch etc. On the touch screen front this one may not be very impressive. But there are a ton of features that makes this phone a real winner.
Camera indoors is horrible. But outdoors in a decent light it captures absolutely georgous pictures and video. I was able to mixin video with mp3s to creat very interesting multimedia. The positives for this phone just go on and on.
iPhone has its strengths but doesn't compare with this one on features. Period.