All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-09-2002, 12:22 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Does anyone even remember the actual topic ?

Old 09-09-2002, 06:00 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxtheviper
Well forget about the 928 if you don't want to go out with three batteries like 7 years ago with the first gsm phones....
Actually a good point. Don't know how well the battery would last in normal use, probably a case of charging every day. At least HP made the battery removable unlike most other devices includeing the XDA.

That is something I forgot to say, the Nokia has excellent batterylife and a removable battery. Major plus point.

Does anyone else not find the lack of auto file sync. annoying ? I used to find it quite useful on my IPaq. Probably need to restrict it to smallish files without USB, but it is definately a big missing feature for me. My concern is that it does not seam to have been addressed in the sync. software for the newer devices either.

Zuber

Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 AM

whiplash is on a distinguished road
a year after, im still holding on the 92xx.

although naturally any device has its list of shortcomings...

but the Bottom Line is ---

there ain't another device that fits into my lifestyle -- business & personal rolled into one small device.

"ALL in ONE" -- phone + pda in one piece.

beats any other package to date.

:P

Old 11-09-2002, 12:15 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
I liked it enough to upgrade to 9210i. There really is nothing that comes close to deivering the functionality. Sure, there are some compromises / shortcomings, but it still moves the game to the next generation from Psion ER5 devices.

If anybody thinks I'm going to bugger about learning sign language and enter data on a screen with a stylus instead of a simple keyboard they are deluding themselves. Palm, etc success comes from marketing, US base, lack of competition from the alternatives (Psion, Nokia), marketing, interface with MS products (business users) and marketing. BTW, did I mention marketing and lack of credible competition?

Old 11-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Palm are in the state they are because they got in a successful manager from Reebok of all places an concentrated on marketing drivel, now they are behind the times, and Symbian are shooting ahead (market penetration wise).
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:31 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
You're right Tomahawk, I can't stand touchscreens or pen thingies, give me the keyboard! I never had bought the 9210 if it had resembled a psion or a palm (gui wise)

Old 11-09-2002, 12:44 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
The typewriter was such a step forward from handwriting. Then we had the computer keyboard. And now Palm et al are trying to take us forward to .......

....handwriting......

Some progress huh?

Old 11-09-2002, 02:14 PM

whiplash is on a distinguished road
the 92xx keyboard RULES! I won't exchange it for any stylus or pen recognition stuff...

speed, speed, speed... using the keyboard is way much faster and easier getting your thoughts or task done.

Old 11-09-2002, 03:26 PM

Fanta is on a distinguished road
I still like my 92xx with V3.62 an old one
somethimes it has an error and when its a big one i format the hole device(i do make a backup) and then its works great(when i dont instaal to much trash

Fanta

Old 11-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Actually, for text input on the IPaq, I was quite imressed with the FITALY keyboard. Got quite a good speed. Probably of a similar order of magnitude to the Nokia keyboard.

The problem I had, was that I could not focus on what I was writing very well when focusing on getting good typeing speed (or char. recognition).

Due to many years of us, when using the Nokia, I can focus on the content and not on the typing. To me, this made all the difference. The onscreen versions of qwerty had similar issues for slightly different reasons. Had to tap carefully to make sure you got the correct key etc.

Just wondering if it just the way my brain is wired up or if anyone else had noticed it.

Zuber

Old 12-09-2002, 04:57 AM

venoMZ3 is on a distinguished road
The only other PDA I have ever had has been a HP95LX which had a full keyboard also. I just gotta have the keyboard. Besides, I am too freakin old to learn a new language:-)

Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Banned

4u2nv is on a distinguished road
No matter what's wrong with the 9210/9210i there is no other device on the market which can compete with it head-on!

That's a fact!

So I guess that means I love mine1

Old 21-09-2002, 07:41 AM

AAY is on a distinguished road
Not really...

Do I still like my 9210? After about 9 months of use and it having replaced my 6210 and Diamond Mako, I'd have to sadly say no.

Why not, you ask?
1. It's slow. Really slow. I've never been much of a speed freak, but I find the 9210 intolerably slow.
2. It's not the most stable thing on the market...even with 4.13 I can still bring it down sometimes. And has anyone else noticed that Nokia has stopped updating software for the 9210? December 14th, 2001 was a long time ago...
3. I hate PC Suite! Lemme say that again - I hate PC Suite! It's cranky as hell, and it's not always the brightest program on the market; if you're 95% through with your backup (which takes ages) and something goes wrong/cable pops out, etc. you can't resume. Maddening!
4. As others have mentioned, the 8-way rocker pad sucks. It's especially sucky when you play Snake EX
5. The software has its moments of 'weirdness'. My ringtone is always set to Desk Phone Lo, but the phone sometimes plays some other tune when a call comes through! And it does it completely at random, working perfectly for weeks then it gets cranky. I also can't seem to get it to associate my home phone number with the name I assigned it - Home! When I either phone home, or I get a call from home, I just see a number. Annoying!
6. The Messaging app seems to slow down tremendously when I have lots of messages. My SMS beep only comes on after the illumination goes out. Gah. A phone like this should handle having 1500+ messages without slowing down so much!

To its credit though, the 9210 does some things very well:
1. On few other phones would I dare to read and reply to SMSes while on the road
2. Battery life is absolutely fabulous. Even using the speakerphone quite heavily, I get very good talk/standby times.
3. The PDA screen - brilliant! Still one of the best displays in the business.
4. Ever needed a brick to throw at someone in self defence when there are none around? A flying 9210 (I'm guessing here, never tried it ) would probably cause some serious damage to someone's skull

I've asked myself a few times why I haven't ditched the 9210 for something smaller/trendier, and it always comes to these:
1. There is no real challenger to the 9210. I want a huge screen and a full keyboard for my PDA.
2. The Messaging app, although it has resulted in my phone bill going up quite a bit...yeah, I send waay too many SMSes
3. It would be economically unwise for me to get rid of it. Even though I got it free (lucky me! ), I wouldn't get very much for it if I sold it. Certainly not enough for a 7650

Old 23-09-2002, 05:54 PM

Dr_Flash is on a distinguished road
Well I couldn't agree more with you AAY, both on the positive and on the negative side. My 9210 repeatedly spontaneously resets, still now after it's been in for service (presumably a ROM flash and format), PC Suite is TRUE HELL (I have no other words for it I'm sorry). No matter how many times I try to connect, it just sees the 9210 only when it feels like it. And after one of my very few successful backups, both the 9210 and PC need a reboot before once again being able to respond properly. So I do everything possible with a USB card reader, which goes quite well, apart from of course the Agenda and Contacts databases, some of the most crucial, that just dont run from D, and wont have themselves copied to D for ALWAYS being "in use" (yeah right).
On the other hand it IS a brilliant little machine that really does allow me to do things "on the fly" and thereby saves me time. I love the screen, the keyboard is OK (well the nav pad is naggy, but still the rest is OK). All in all a bit of a mixed feeling: I thought I'd been waiting long enough for a 'mature' version to arrive... I'm not gonna spend ANOTHER 1000 euros on a 9210i. I just want Nokia to swap mine for it.

Old 23-09-2002, 06:32 PM

Special is on a distinguished road
u can ask me; one week later, do u still like your 9210i??
in fact i can't find any usefull programs yet. i'm using my comm. for nothing. and i agree with u all about the keyboard, it's really nice
but i need some programs for god sake!
----------------------------
...I'm the Only Special...
----------------------------