All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-06-2003, 12:26 AM

T-Mobile USA claims they don't have sim unlock codes

Has anyone else gotten this response from T-Mobile USA? I called requesting the sim unlock codes for the N3650. They told me that the unlock dept would contact me within 72 hours with unlock code. (They will usually give out unlock code to a customer in good standing for 3 or more months) After nearly a week I called in for a status and the rep claimed that the network hasn't received the N3650 unlock codes. Hard to believe. Tried the unlock generator, but with no success. Flying to Finland with a locked phone next week.
Ads

Old 06-06-2003, 01:24 AM

got the same response

yeah, i just got my phone not too long ago, and i called to do the same, and they gave me the same response.

At first, you think someone is going to contact you, then you call back...

basically, what they are trying to tell me, is that since the phone was 'released earlier than expected' on the t-mobile network, they do not have the IMEI specific unlock codes, and they should be available "Mid-june".

Fun stuff.

Otherwise, i'm quite pleased with me service/phone.

Old 06-06-2003, 02:28 AM

rudedog is on a distinguished road
I was told mid to end of june as well.

T-mobile New England

Old 06-06-2003, 02:46 AM

Have you guys tried any of the unlock codes generated here? None of the codes worked for me...didn't want to enter too many since it will never unlock after repeated failed attempts. Was reading that N3650 with AT&T require an additional code only from the carrier.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:35 PM

amigappc is on a distinguished road
hi,

u need the imei number and the five digit network code to calculate the unlock code. and u need also the trigger chip in a box how can calculate the code with the right prog.

cya amigappc

Old 07-06-2003, 05:07 PM

merchantofgrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengie2000
Have you guys tried any of the unlock codes generated here? None of the codes worked for me...didn't want to enter too many since it will never unlock after repeated failed attempts. Was reading that N3650 with AT&T require an additional code only from the carrier.
Hate to break it to you, but if you have an ATT 3650, you are pretty screwed.

I work for ATT wireless, and att is the only carrier in my recent memory in the us that locks their phones, and will not give the unlock codes. This is actually illegal in some countries, (finland, if i am not mistaken).

On top of not giving the unlock codes, even out of contract, if you take it upon yourself to unlock your phone, it voids your warranty with ATT wireless, and any reps are supposed to seize the phone.

Crazy stuff.

Oh, and as far as generating the unlock codes, you should be a little wary of that, you can ruin your sim card by entering the incorrect PUK codes, and those codes are IMEI specific...so, generic codes wouldn't work.

But hey, it would make a pretty paperweight.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:47 PM

Excuse my phone related ignorance, but what does the 'lockout' mechanism do exactly? I have an ATT service with my n3650, but the actual phone says Nokia on the top (I've seen another person w/ a 3650 that had ATT on the top of their phone right where my Nokia sign is...)

What exactly would the unlock codes do for me now? I haven't noticed anything that I can't access/use properly.... ??!?!???!?

Please help...

Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 PM

I've heard that AT&T N3650 is a problem unlocking the Sim block. I guess I'll just be patient and wait for T-Mobile (USA) to get the proper codes. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile is more than willing to give the unlock code to customers in good standing for 3 or more months of service.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:51 AM

Tatuagem is on a distinguished road
Just as a small note, I've first heard of SIM unlocking codes here in AAS... In Portugal you have to find people that unlock the phones through special cables, and no provides will send you unlocking codes of any kind... needless to say, after you unlock it, your warranty if history... the providers can unlock the phones but you have to pay something like 100 euros... (we pay about 10 euros to get a "normal" phone unlocked-illegaly, of course)... are these unlocking-codes-generators accessible in the internet? how reliable are they?
(#uminho na ptnet)

Old 08-06-2003, 04:42 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantofgrey
I work for ATT wireless, and att is the only carrier in my recent memory in the us that locks their phones, and will not give the unlock codes. This is actually illegal in some countries, (finland, if i am not mistaken).
What is illegal in Finland is carrier subsidy, which means that the carriers there cannot sell SIM locked phones.
Quote:
Oh, and as far as generating the unlock codes, you should be a little wary of that, you can ruin your sim card by entering the incorrect PUK codes, and those codes are IMEI specific...so, generic codes wouldn't work.
An IMEI number is phone specfic. An IMSI number is SIM specfic. A PUK code is IMSI specfic = SIM card specific, not IMEI specific.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:41 PM

J T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but if you have an ATT 3650, you are pretty screwed.
No, I don't think so. ATTWS 3650's are being remotely unlocked now. Costs a few bucks more ($25 rather than $5).

Quote:
On top of not giving the unlock codes, even out of contract, if you take it upon yourself to unlock your phone, it voids your warranty with ATT wireless, and any reps are supposed to seize the phone.
My phone warranty is with Nokia, not ATTWS so that issue is moot. Seize my phone and I'll have you arrested for theft.

Quote:
Crazy stuff.
Indeed; where do you get your misinformation?

Quote:
Unlock codes are not PUK codes.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:55 AM

Kirill is on a distinguished road
For the person asking a SIM-locked phone is a phone that has been sold with a specific carrier's SIM card and will not accept any other carrier's SIM card. This allows the carrier to (supposedly) sell the phone for less.

My only experience with a locked phone was with a Cingular 8890. They asked me to prepay for a mont of service (their computer would not generate an unlock code until there was nothing owed on the account supposedly again). Then they asked me for the IMEI number of my phone and in 3 days they called me with an unlock code, stayed on the phone with me until I unlocked it and made sure that it worked. Had plenty of problems with Cingular cince but this was done smoothly.

-- George S. Patton Jr.

Old 28-06-2003, 02:45 AM

T-mobile USA will have N3650 unlock codes Monday June30th

I called T-mobile USa today asking if NOW they have the unlock codes. They paused and said yes...they would send them to me in a text message. Then the rep paused and told me she made a mistake it wasn't the unlock code, but my IMEI#. She felt so bad that she offer my account a $20 instant credit. After that she told me that June 30th they will start having the codes for N3650.