All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM

b3owulf is on a distinguished road
Battery and other N8 problems

Hi, i'm noticing more and more problems with my N8 over the last couple of weeks.
It started after the update to PR1.1 with with mail widgets disappearing from my first and second home screens. I could select them to put them back, but nothing would appear on the home screen.
Next problem was most other widgets and shortcuts disappeared, and the remaining ones randomly appeared over all 3 homescreens. After a reboot, i could fill the homescreens again, and they have been stable for about a week now.
However, the battery was then running out in about 6 hours.
For the last week i have been letting the battery run out and power down the N8, and then charge it until full before turning it on again. The battery life is now up to about 12 hours, but thats only with barely using it.
And another thing!
When i browse the internet at home, and the N8 is connected to my home WiFi, it still uses 3G or 2G connection instead of wifi, to use the wifi, i have to go into settings, connections, wifi etc.. and select Start Web Browsing.
It doesn't do it automatically as it used to do, even though i think it is set up to.

Has anyone had any similar problems, heard of them, or have any suggestions?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM

warmth is on a distinguished road
My experience with the N8 and others Nokia phones for about 20 years has tell me that its battery is still having the same problems that almost eight years ago...

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], Nokia Lumia 820 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.
Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | Nokia-news.com & LoveMyNokia.com writer

Old 16-03-2011, 10:06 AM

KamHo is on a distinguished road
Since installing PR1.1 I have had no problems with my N8. Left in idle mode the battery would probably last over a week, but I tend to recharge it about every 3 or 4 days. Before PR1.1 I had been having a few problems including the battery having to be recharged every other day.

Old 16-03-2011, 10:19 AM

warmth is on a distinguished road
Sometimes (very rarely) my phone begins to heat up and the battery discharge rate increase a lot, restarting the phone fix temporarily the problem...

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], Nokia Lumia 820 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.
Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | Nokia-news.com & LoveMyNokia.com writer

Old 16-03-2011, 06:54 PM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
My battery charges overnight. Unplug around 8am and by 7/8pm, it's flat!!

But that's with nothing powersaving.
i.e bluetooth on.
wifi on
3g
widgets online
bla bla bla

@KamHo, I find it very hard to believe your N8 lasted a week on Idle!
Ads

Old 16-03-2011, 07:40 PM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
Since installing PR1.1 my battery life has definitely improved.

Haven't done any tests, but will easily last 1.5days with reasonably heavy usage.

Old 16-03-2011, 08:26 PM

KamHo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyN95 View Post
@KamHo, I find it very hard to believe your N8 lasted a week on Idle!
I didn't say that it had lasted me a week, although Battery Monitor estimates 7 or 8 days from a full charge. I have only allowed about 5 days before recharging, and usually do it sooner.

I use Nokia Situations which puts it into a mild powersaving mode when I am asleep, and I don't use any online widgets. I think that the online widgets probably consume a lot of battery power.

Old 17-03-2011, 09:29 AM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
Haha I've got atleast four!

Accuweather, Profimail, Premier League widget and Nokia Reader!!
And I think Wellness Diary as well but not sure if that goes online or not

Old 17-03-2011, 09:39 AM

phessler is on a distinguished road
I've set my homescreen widgets to offline mode, but #gravity still manages to update itself just fine. I don't know what would use it, but I haven't noticed any decrease in features, just a decrease in battery drain.

Old 23-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Alexandra18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3owulf View Post
Hi, i'm noticing more and more problems with my N8 over the last couple of weeks.
It started after the update to PR1.1 with with mail widgets disappearing from my first and second home screens. I could select them to put them back, but nothing would appear on the home screen.
Next problem was most other widgets and shortcuts disappeared, and the remaining ones randomly appeared over all 3 homescreens. After a reboot, i could fill the homescreens again, and they have been stable for about a week now.
However, the battery was then running out in about 6 hours.
For the last week i have been letting the battery run out and power down the N8, and then charge it until full before turning it on again. The battery life is now up to about 12 hours, but thats only with barely using it.
And another thing!
When i browse the internet at home, and the N8 is connected to my home WiFi, it still uses 3G or 2G connection instead of wifi, to use the wifi, i have to go into settings, connections, wifi etc.. and select Start Web Browsing.
It doesn't do it automatically as it used to do, even though i think it is set up to.

Has anyone had any similar problems, heard of them, or have any suggestions?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
I am user of nokia n8 and seriously i dont have to face any problem with battery even its works fine when i am playing music on it. but i have some other problems,
I noticed that when I typed or pressed on the screen while using an app there was a vibration of the screen moving in the casing, maybe this was misuse from a previous tester, I've not heard of it this problem before.

Old 23-03-2011, 04:11 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra18 View Post
I noticed that when I typed or pressed on the screen while using an app there was a vibration of the screen moving in the casing, maybe this was misuse from a previous tester, I've not heard of it this problem before.
Sorry but I had to lol when I read this because the first thing I thought was "are they talking about the haptic feedback feature?". If you are talking about haptic feedback then it can be switched off by customizing the profile that you're using.

Tap the profile name on the homescreen (next to the clock) and select 'Edit active profile'. Then scroll all the way down the list of profile configurations and switch off 'Touch screen vibration' (third from the bottom).

If this is not the problem that you are encountering and the screen is actually moving around within the casing then you should get it looked at by your local Nokia Care Centre or the retailer where you bought it.

Hope this helps

Old 25-03-2011, 10:50 AM

b3owulf is on a distinguished road
I had the phone sent off to Nokia for repair last week and it came back on Tuesday with no difference at all, and no details on what was done/found.
After further contact with Nokia, they very kindly sent me a list of power saving tips. But since i already do most of them i don't think they will help. So they have now escalated internally, and i only need to wait 3 - 5 working days to hear back from them.
I think the N8 is a fantastic device, but as it is now costing me business.
I've been talking to Nokia Care for over 2 weeks now, without even a proposed solution.
I don't see a point in staying with Symbian after the recent announcements, time to start looking for alternatives.