All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #46  
Old 19-08-2010, 01:18 PM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by user47alpha View Post
Not many, because besides contacts, many people have absolutely no need for syncing there phones with a pc.


Lucky for them, the needed maps are already preloaded (at least in germany), so even if they don't know it, Ovi Maps is a big advantage for them. If you assume that the targeted audience is completely clueless then Ovi Maps with already preloaded maps is an even bigger advantage because they will not tab in the "Oh look, I have nice google maps, lets use it without a dataplan and pay per MB without knowing how much this will cost me!"-trap..
ok fair enough but i had to load the maps on my e71, the irony of course is google maps on the e71 is more accurate than ovi maps in my experience.

  #47  
Old 19-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by user47alpha View Post

You do realise that if you invest £80 in the phone, a £10/month topup is a very big cost factor? I use my 5800 without a dataplan (most of the time) and am quite happy that it only connects to the internet when I want it to do so.
I do the topup when I ened it. When I am going away from home and won't have the access to WiFi that I do at home and work.

  #48  
Old 19-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
ok fair enough but i had to load the maps on my e71, the irony of course is google maps on the e71 is more accurate than ovi maps in my experience.
My street isn't actually on Google Maps or TomTom either. It is on Ovi Maps.

But apart from that, the turn-by-turn navigation in Ovi Maps works much better than either Google or TomTom - again "in my experience" - especially in areas where the phone signal is marginal. When there's no signal at all, Ovi Maps with it's preloaded maps is the obvious winner.

What puzzles me though is there's no API a developer can use to embed Ovi Maps in their application which is why so many use Google Maps. Come on Nokia - that's stupid.

  #49  
Old 19-08-2010, 03:05 PM
clonmult clonmult is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 454
clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My street isn't actually on Google Maps or TomTom either. It is on Ovi Maps.

But apart from that, the turn-by-turn navigation in Ovi Maps works much better than either Google or TomTom - again "in my experience" - especially in areas where the phone signal is marginal. When there's no signal at all, Ovi Maps with it's preloaded maps is the obvious winner.

What puzzles me though is there's no API a developer can use to embed Ovi Maps in their application which is why so many use Google Maps. Come on Nokia - that's stupid.
That matches my experiences as well.

And also, rather bizarrely, none of the "mainstream" mapping services lists where my partner lives.

However, Openstreetmap does include it on their database. Which is used by Sportstracker. And obviously because of the apparent lack of a suitable API to the Ovi maps database.

  #50  
Old 19-08-2010, 03:55 PM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
well in my experience ovi maps puts me the best part of half a mile a way, while google locks me down almost to the yard. then magically i go back into ovi maps and i've moved to where i am!!!!
in short i open google maps to find me before i can use Ovi.(e71)

Of course Google maps on android obliterates ovi maps

  #51  
Old 19-08-2010, 04:02 PM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
ps: for symbian freaks engadget have a video of the c7 up
Ads

  #52  
Old 19-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
well in my experience ovi maps puts me the best part of half a mile a way, while google locks me down almost to the yard. then magically i go back into ovi maps and i've moved to where i am!!!!
in short i open google maps to find me before i can use Ovi.(e71)

Of course Google maps on android obliterates ovi maps

Google maps on anything couldn't obliterate anything with its amazing grey screen maps.

Google maps is something of a joke and is the bottom of the useful league, the totally ridiculous tile downloading can frequently mean it's often ally useless and with such a handicap it's not even at the races I can't believe anyone can even attempt to argue for it.

Also, these fictional position errors on Ovi Maps, never seen them.

  #53  
Old 19-08-2010, 06:19 PM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Google maps on anything couldn't obliterate anything with its amazing grey screen maps.

Google maps is something of a joke and is the bottom of the useful league, the totally ridiculous tile downloading can frequently mean it's often ally useless and with such a handicap it's not even at the races I can't believe anyone can even attempt to argue for it.

Also, these fictional position errors on Ovi Maps, never seen them.
Sorry fanboy those position errors are very real rendering ovi useless unless pre planned, google maps on android complete with layers, street view and turn by turn navigations wipes the floor with ovi, simple as that. Over to nokia to fight back we'll see.

  #54  
Old 19-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
U

Sorry fanboy
No need to apologise. You probably can't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
those position errors are very real rendering ovi useless unless pre planned, google maps on android complete with layers, street view and turn by turn navigations wipes the floor with ovi, simple as that. Over to nokia to fight back we'll see.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm a HTC Desire user who is pissed off waiting for tiles to download, or not download as is often the case., How can a Maps application where you can't see the maps even make it to release? Joke. Justify invisible maps please? Any failure to justify them and you lose.

Forget it, you already lost. I'll sell you a blank sketch book and tell you it's a road atlas.

I've never seen half mile position errors on an sat nav ever. You can't just lie to make your point.

  #55  
Old 19-08-2010, 06:47 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
I take the point about not mentioning the Desire or anything else, and to not be able to disable 3g easily is a pain, but the fact is why have a smartphone if you don't want to be connected? isn't the whole purpose of an android phone to be constantly in sync with google apps etc. exchange, location services.
Presumably not if the battery life is only five hours when it is constantly connected/connecting...

  #56  
Old 20-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
you cannot turn off the 3G radio in the ZTE because it is on 3 mobile and 3 mobile (being a 3G only network) require you to ALWAYS have 3G turned ON. <-- THIS

but you can turn off the network data transfer when you are away from wifi so zero data will be used (ie if you had no data plan/credit) by doing this:

# Open dialer.
# Dial *#*#4636#*#* to open “Testing” screen.
# Tap on Phone Information.
# Press the Menu key or button.
# Tap on More.
# Tap on Disable data connection to disconnect and make inactive any data connection immediately.

but that is not very friendly and easier way is to use the app APNdroid as mentioned.

THIS IS A MASSIVE FLAW IN ALL ANDROID phones running less than 2.2

  #57  
Old 20-08-2010, 06:46 AM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No need to apologise. You probably can't help it.



I'm not a fanboy, I'm a HTC Desire user who is pissed off waiting for tiles to download, or not download as is often the case., How can a Maps application where you can't see the maps even make it to release? Joke. Justify invisible maps please? Any failure to justify them and you lose.

Forget it, you already lost. I'll sell you a blank sketch book and tell you it's a road atlas.

I've never seen half mile position errors on an sat nav ever. You can't just lie to make your point.
What possible reason would i have for lying on an internet forum, fact is i work at moorfields eye hospital and ovi maps puts me at shoreditch park half a mile away every time, so there you go why not ask our fellow posters how accurate Ovi maps is. My Desire loads maps quicker than ovi and loads everytime maybe you should take yours back mr unregistered troll

  #58  
Old 20-08-2010, 06:52 AM
gadget freak gadget freak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Presumably not if the battery life is only five hours when it is constantly connected/connecting...
This is correct, the battery life on android phones is a big deal breaker, i would recommend them as great gadgets and if your in the office during they day when you can top up your charge fine.
But for enterprise users, salesman or generally people who are out and about all day you just cannot justify them, those people must be connected all day everyday and i would still say a blackberry or an E71 is the device to have.
I still say as well nokia should go after Rim, the Apple v Google war they want to steer away from.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
battle, budget, email, smartphones, web

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E61i web browser can't see link in email sammy838 Nokia Eseries S60 3.0 phones (E50, E60, E62, E61, E61i, E70) 1 30-09-2008 07:59 AM
BlackBerry Instant Email on P910x - Working! Bigfeat Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 11 14-01-2007 02:51 PM
POP3 Email and web based hotmail scene316 Nokia 7710 0 02-09-2005 03:36 PM
J2ME Web Browser and Email Clients Updated Ewan Series 60 0 09-03-2005 03:00 PM
Web Browser / email exchanage reader luismmota Nokia 7650 3 03-10-2002 05:10 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy