All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 AM

jazzyc-01 is on a distinguished road
Question using skype via 'fring' - help needed

i have installed fring onto my phone so that i may call a friend who is on skype.

how do i add them to my contacts? i have his username but dont seem to be able to find him when searching with the handset.

i managed to find him ok with the pc so what am i doing wrong?

step by step guide would be a big help as i dont really understand this even after looking at the 'help' section on fring website

Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer If you've already added him ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post
i have installed fring onto my phone so that i may call a friend who is on skype.

how do i add them to my contacts? i have his username but dont seem to be able to find him when searching with the handset.

i managed to find him ok with the pc so what am i doing wrong?

step by step guide would be a big help as i dont really understand this even after looking at the 'help' section on fring website
via the PC then he'll show up in your Skype contacts on the phone .. at least thats been my experience.

ensure that you have configured skype under fring / options / settings / configure services ..

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
via the PC then he'll show up in your Skype contacts on the phone .. at least thats been my experience.

ensure that you have configured skype under fring / options / settings / configure services ..

Good Luck!
so do i need to ensur that fring is running on my computer first then?

i did a search for him on the computer and found him ok. Just dont have microphone or web cam to call him from pc and quite like the idea of using the handset.

just out of interest is there any way of using the phone linked to the pc as a mic/webcam?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 AM

Beer umm ..

Quote:
so do i need to ensur that fring is running on my computer first then?

i did a search for him on the computer and found him ok. Just dont have microphone or web cam to call him from pc and quite like the idea of using the handset.

just out of interest is there any way of using the phone linked to the pc as a mic/webcam?
no Fring doesn't run on your PC .. Skype does .. as long as you've added him to your Skype contacts .. then when you use fring on your N95 with skype configured to use the same user/password as skype on your PC you can make voice/text calls .. video does not yet work. First client to get the video cam working will be a killer app.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
no Fring doesn't run on your PC .. Skype does .. as long as you've added him to your Skype contacts .. then when you use fring on your N95 with skype configured to use the same user/password as skype on your PC you can make voice/text calls .. video does not yet work. First client to get the video cam working will be a killer app.

so as long as i have him as a contact on my skype on my computer then he should show up as a contact on fring?

well all i did on the pc is ran a search with his user name and the pc found him ok but i still cant find him on the handset. When i put in his username and run a search it just comes back saying no user found. The search also seems very quick like its not really searching
Ads

Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Question have you configured Fring/SKYPE on the N95?

Quote:
so as long as i have him as a contact on my skype on my computer then he should show up as a contact on fring?

well all i did on the pc is ran a search with his user name and the pc found him ok but i still cant find him on the handset. When i put in his username and run a search it just comes back saying no user found. The search also seems very quick like its not really searching
see my first reply .. YOU MUST have SKYPE enabled and configured to login - this assumes of course you actually have an internet connection available on the N95

Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 AM

spiderwal is on a distinguished road
hi, i have fring on my mobile, and have installed skype and enabled it on my n95, now when i run fring on the phone i can see the contact i added, but when i choose to make a skype call to them it comes up asking for a contact number, but skype isn't a number its a name?

any help appreciated

Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM

Beer That sounds like you have NO active connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderwal View Post
hi, i have fring on my mobile, and have installed skype and enabled it on my n95, now when i run fring on the phone i can see the contact i added, but when i choose to make a skype call to them it comes up asking for a contact number, but skype isn't a number its a name?

any help appreciated
ensure you're connected via WLAN or however you make an internet connection with your N95.

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
ensure you're connected via WLAN or however you make an internet connection with your N95.

Good Luck!
I have an internet connection (though not wlan) and i have logged into my skype on my handset. When i check under settings on the phone it has a tick in the box for skype so i dont think thats the problem.

can someone confirm for me either way if i need to know the other persons phone number or should i be able to find them just by their user name.

also, should i be able to add them as acontact even if they are not on line. ive been able to do that on the computer but not on the handset.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM

CordlessNeil is on a distinguished road
Normally in Skype; when you search for a contact and find them, the next step is to send an 'add me to your contact list' request - perhaps the problem is that they have not yet accepted you in their contact list. You can check this by looking at their status on your pc - if they have not accepted yet then the status indicator normally shows a '?'

Old 03-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordlessNeil View Post
Normally in Skype; when you search for a contact and find them, the next step is to send an 'add me to your contact list' request - perhaps the problem is that they have not yet accepted you in their contact list. You can check this by looking at their status on your pc - if they have not accepted yet then the status indicator normally shows a '?'
right, i have just uninstalled and reinstalled everything both on pc and handset.

on the pc the contact shows the person i want to speak with and i have been getting messages from them so all seems ok on the pc

on the handset i have fring on there again and have gone to settings and configure where you get a list of skype, msm etc.

I have ticked the skype box and it asks for my username and password. I am assuming these are the same ones that i used on the pc?

anyways all that is happening now is it keeps trying to login but is not going any further.

what am i doing wrong?