All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 PM

jazzyc-01 is on a distinguished road
is skype calls free using 'fring' on the web and walk

as the title says

is it going to cost me anything as i have the web and walk plus pack on t-mobile?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post
as the title says

is it going to cost me anything as i have the web and walk plus pack on t-mobile?
well i am not sure they know!

just spoke to t-mobile who said that it wouldn't be. I said that as long as i didn't kick the ass out of it in terms of the 'fair use policy' then surley it must be. The opperator said to me that i would need to be on the 'max' plan to use skype as it allows me more unlimited use Not really sure she knew what she was on a bout either its unlimited or its not isnt it, no matter what plan you are on. Then she went on about faster download speeds and i said i didnt think she was right with that either because again you are either ina 3g area or not so the speed is limited by that and not what plan you are on.

Bottom line is she said that without the 'max' plan i would not be able to use skype!

Funny thing was i had just come off from a call with a friend of mine in canada so that shot down her theroy!

I really think that they just want you to go on the max plan when you dont really need it.

how do they monitor it anyway????
Ads

Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Subject to your data plan allowing this type of connection, calls would be free. I say, "subject to" because under the terms of web n walk, the basic package doesn't allow them. However, you can still makle them, and so, they won't cost you. However, T-Mobile are getting a bit clever about the way people are using their web n walk packages and have already blocked IM use with Agile Mobile on the basic package, so I don't expect it will be long before Fring use gets "trapped". I have used Skype+Fring but now tend to switch Fring off when not using it, so that it doesn't register as a permanent connection.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Subject to your data plan allowing this type of connection, calls would be free. I say, "subject to" because under the terms of web n walk, the basic package doesn't allow them. However, you can still makle them, and so, they won't cost you. However, T-Mobile are getting a bit clever about the way people are using their web n walk packages and have already blocked IM use with Agile Mobile on the basic package, so I don't expect it will be long before Fring use gets "trapped". I have used Skype+Fring but now tend to switch Fring off when not using it, so that it doesn't register as a permanent connection.
i think that this is the way i will do it also. Just use it as and when i need it

Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post
how do they monitor it anyway????
Inspecting the packet headers to see which protocol is being used.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 PM

jman200x is on a distinguished road
packet headers is the only way to go, pretty intrusive though.

other than that, i believe the standard skype traffic is encrypted which is why a lot of network admins struggle to block it (not ours though :( )