All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2007, 03:57 PM

azzilla is on a distinguished road
Nokia N95 USB2.0

Heyooo!
I did a benchmark-test on my N95 and i didn't get readings anywhere near 480mbit/s..
On the nokia website, it says it has USB 2.0
I use my phone as an mp3-player, and it's really annoying that i have to take out the memorycard, fill it with mp3's, put it back in the phone and index all the mp3's again.
Is there a new firmware upgrade coming soon that will fix this, or is Nokia screwing their customers?
If there is no upgrade coming, i'll return my N95 and report Nokia for using false advertising.

Old 29-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
it is usb v2.0 but its so slow, not sure why its slow, and not sure if a fw update will sort it

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 29-05-2007, 04:28 PM

antxxxx is on a distinguished road
there is a lot of confusion over what usb 2.0 really means and how it is used.

as well as the maximum speed, usb 2.0 refers to physical features and other charecteristics.

Also, within usb 2.0, there are 3 possible speeds, 1.5Mb/s, 12Mb/s or 480Mb/s. A keyboard has no need to act faster than 12Mb/s, and so it wont, but they can still be labelled usb 2.0

if you do a search for USB Nomenclature Info you should find some articles about it

also you need to remember that the transfer rate is 480 megabits per second which translates to about 60 megabytes per second

Old 29-05-2007, 04:47 PM

jazzyc-01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxxxx View Post
there is a lot of confusion over what usb 2.0 really means and how it is used.

as well as the maximum speed, usb 2.0 refers to physical features and other charecteristics.

Also, within usb 2.0, there are 3 possible speeds, 1.5Mb/s, 12Mb/s or 480Mb/s. A keyboard has no need to act faster than 12Mb/s, and so it wont, but they can still be labelled usb 2.0

if you do a search for USB Nomenclature Info you should find some articles about it

also you need to remember that the transfer rate is 480 megabits per second which translates to about 60 megabytes per second

i only wish i could use my memory card that way as i would prefer to put stuff straight on it as its quicker.

my card when i put it in the card reader keeps coming up saying 'write protected' and i dont know how to get it off

Old 29-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Usb 2.0??

I hear you antxxxx!
but the original usb connection (usb 1.1) had a transfer-rate up to 12mbit/s.
I think nokia is screwing their customers stating it has usb 2.0
Because most people think that means faster connections.
And the last phone i had (nokia 6680) got the same benchmarkresults as the nokia n95. And nokia 6680 uses the old connection-cable.
I think it's lousy marketing by nokia, stating it has usb 2.0.
They could have just written "USB connection" or something like that. I think it's misleading.

Old 29-05-2007, 06:37 PM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
Of all the things the N95 can do, theres no reason to make the N95 not have fast USB!

Old 29-05-2007, 08:44 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzilla View Post
Heyooo!
I did a benchmark-test on my N95 and i didn't get readings anywhere near 480mbit/s..
On the nokia website, it says it has USB 2.0
I use my phone as an mp3-player, and it's really annoying that i have to take out the memorycard, fill it with mp3's, put it back in the phone and index all the mp3's again.
Is there a new firmware upgrade coming soon that will fix this, or is Nokia screwing their customers?
If there is no upgrade coming, i'll return my N95 and report Nokia for using false advertising.
A vital factor you are neglecting is that your MicroSD memory card has a maximum read/write speed of 9Mb/sec (UltraII) or 4.5Mb/sec (non ultra-II).
The N95 Internal Memory is also based on Flash memory so it's probably similar read/write speeds to Ultra-II SD cards. Therefore it doesn't matter whether or not the USB2 port can run at 480Mb/sec, the port can only transfer data at the rated speeds of the (slow) flash memory inside the phone or in the MicroSD card.

Does your iPOD Nano write at 480Mb/sec? Mine doesn't and Apple advertise them as USB2 ports as well.
Unfortunately, I don't think your false advertising claim will cause too many sleepless nights at Nokia HQ.

Last edited by dez_borders; 29-05-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Old 30-05-2007, 08:12 AM

antxxxx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post
i only wish i could use my memory card that way as i would prefer to put stuff straight on it as its quicker.

my card when i put it in the card reader keeps coming up saying 'write protected' and i dont know how to get it off
my card reader only has a sd slot, so i have to use an adaptor to read my micro sd card. on the adaptor, there is a small slide switch that switches it from read only to read/write mode. You havent got that set to read only have you?

Old 30-05-2007, 11:40 AM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post

my card reader only has a sd slot, so i have to use an adaptor to read my micro sd card. on the adaptor, there is a small slide switch that switches it from read only to read/write mode. You havent got that set to read only have you?
I have the same "Write protect" trouble with mine, changing the switch doesn't make any difference.

Old 30-05-2007, 11:51 AM

jim115 is on a distinguished road
consider yourself lucky,my card reader wont even read my card!!!! i have to use pcsuite !

Old 30-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
A vital factor you are neglecting is that your MicroSD memory card has a maximum read/write speed of 9Mb/sec (UltraII) or 4.5Mb/sec (non ultra-II).
The N95 Internal Memory is also based on Flash memory so it's probably similar read/write speeds to Ultra-II SD cards. Therefore it doesn't matter whether or not the USB2 port can run at 480Mb/sec, the port can only transfer data at the rated speeds of the (slow) flash memory inside the phone or in the MicroSD card.

Does your iPOD Nano write at 480Mb/sec? Mine doesn't and Apple advertise them as USB2 ports as well.
Unfortunately, I don't think your false advertising claim will cause too many sleepless nights at Nokia HQ.
I know about read/write-speeds..
okey, say it writes through the phone at the maximum speed (4.5mb/sec) that translate into 36mbit/s
my benchmarktest gave an average of 0.9mbit.
You think that is acceptable for "USB 2.0"?????????????

Old 30-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzilla View Post
I know about read/write-speeds..
okey, say it writes through the phone at the maximum speed (4.5mb/sec) that translate into 36mbit/s
my benchmarktest gave an average of 0.9mbit.
You think that is acceptable for "USB 2.0"?????????????
You're missing the point...

The USB2 port complies with the standards.
The card is limited to 4.5 or 9Mb/sec.
It's the memory that's the problem.
Do any other brands of phone (e.g. Sony, Motorola, etc) write to flash memory faster via USB2 than the Nokia N95?

Last edited by dez_borders; 02-06-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 PM

dontasciime is on a distinguished road
I was txing file by n95 usb cable and also noticed it was slow I assumed the n95 was usb2 high speed certified, just seen pdf that tells you it is full speed usb 2 which is about 12mbps max.

Nokia you should really have used high speed usb2.0 what a disgrace for your high tech plastic phone that i just wasted nearly 500 gbp on

Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontasciime View Post
I was txing file by n95 usb cable and also noticed it was slow I assumed the n95 was usb2 high speed certified, just seen pdf that tells you it is full speed usb 2 which is about 12mbps max.

Nokia you should really have used high speed usb2.0 what a disgrace for your high tech plastic phone that i just wasted nearly 500 gbp on
Regardless of USB2 maximum data transfer capacity, and regardless of whether it's a Nokia, Motorola, Sony Erricson, etc., you are writing to Flash Memory which has a maxiumum write speed (MicroSD cards) of under 10Mb/sec. The N95 hardware is USB2.0 compliant, but the Flash memory speeds are slower than the USB2 standards.

Have you conducted tests on other brands of mobile phone any found any that write to MicroSD cards at significantly better speeds than the N95? Apple iPOD Nano's are similarly slow and use Flash memory. All consumer priced flash memory is similarly slow, and the USB2 port or the software driving it cannot change this.

Until the scientists make (affordable) Flash Memory that writes at 480Mb/sec, you can't blame Nokia.
Here's a couple of useful information links about USB and Flash Memory standards...

www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/flash-memory.htm

Last edited by dez_borders; 02-06-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM

dontasciime is on a distinguished road
dez of course you are right about flash mem, I am not disagreeing with you just thought I would point out that the n95's usb 2 implementation is full speed usb2 and not high speed certified that I was convinced I had seen nokia advertise, I have loads of mem cards that are very fast at writing above 10 meg and as you know reading is always faster.