All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2007, 11:20 AM

jazzyc-01 is on a distinguished road
how does skype work

sorry if this is a stupid question but how does this work?

i have installed the application on my phone but how do i actually use it?

it allows me to call people using the internet connection is that right?

also, can i call normall land lines or is it just other peopl who have skype?

I want to call a friend who is in canada and if i wanted to call using my normal monthly tariff it would cost me because it is not covered in the normall free calls.

with skype does this allow me to contact him via my internet for which i have unlimited use in my packadge and it cost nothing?

if so how do i actually make the call?

Old 29-05-2007, 11:26 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
visit www.skype.com

everything will be answered there.

all i will says is, make sure you are using a wifi connection. it certainly wont be free over you service providers network.

Old 29-05-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
visit www.skype.com

everything will be answered there.

all i will says is, make sure you are using a wifi connection. it certainly wont be free over you service providers network.
i have the t-mobile web and walk plus

i thought it would be free on this?

Old 29-05-2007, 12:40 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Forget Skype on the N95. They use proprietary standards. Google for SIP-based services. I've tried Sipphone, Sipgate, and Truphone, all of which work well. Truphone are probably the best because they give you a setup wizard.

Old 29-05-2007, 01:41 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I have Truphone and although I haven't had much call (pun intended) to use to yet. The few times I have though, for testing, it is easy and clear.
The way it works for me is this:

First, I created access points of the wireless networks I use (my secured home network and the unsecured one at work)
In the SIP settings I assign the profiles (truphone home, truphone work etc) to the wireless networks I use in those places.
When I get home, for example, I swich on the wlan scan and it connects to Home. A few seconds later I get an icon in the top right showing that I have VOIP calling available. Then when I go to make a call I get the option of using VOIP or GSM.
Thats it.

I guess if you wanted to use it in a random place that had a wireless network you'd just create an access point for that place, change the access point in the SIP settings and then use it as normal

Last edited by 3Shirts; 29-05-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Ads

Old 29-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
I have Truphone and although I haven't had much call (pun intended) to use to yet. The few times I have though, for testing, it is easy and clear.
The way it works for me is this:

First, I created access points of the wireless networks I use (my secured home network and the unsecured one at work)
In the SIP settings I assign the profiles (truphone home, truphone work etc) to the wireless networks I use in those places.
When I get home, for example, I swich on the wlan scan and it connects to Home. A few seconds later I get an icon in the top right showing that I have VOIP calling available. Then when I go to make a call I get the option of using VOIP or GSM.
Thats it.

I guess if you wanted to use it in a random place that had a wireless network you'd just create an access point for that place, change the access point in the SIP settings and then use it as normal
so do you need to have a wlan set up? i struggle to get a 3g signal in my area, will it work off a normal gsm signal?

i guess not as when i was trying to set it up it kept saying looking for wlan and offered no other option

Old 29-05-2007, 04:57 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyc-01 View Post
so do you need to have a wlan set up? i struggle to get a 3g signal in my area, will it work off a normal gsm signal?

i guess not as when i was trying to set it up it kept saying looking for wlan and offered no other option
Truphone don't support access other than by WLAN, and that is how their wizard is set up. Although some have reported success over GSM, it is a hit and miss affair. Furthermore, the N95 seems preconfigured to enforce internet phone access over WLAN as well, so it seems to be losing battle.

Old 29-05-2007, 07:57 PM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
Fring I think tops them all. It gives access to Skype, MSN and a bunch of SIP bases services too.

http://www.fring.com/

It might not be as well integrated as Truphone. But Truphone is still very beta software and I have found it very ropey when moving between different access points.

Fring is a breeze. It will pick up any preconfigured access point and use it without fuss.

Old 29-05-2007, 08:34 PM

CordlessNeil is on a distinguished road
I agree with the last post - Fring is mega simple for voice & IM - I've used it in many countries and voice quality is ok (perhaps not quite as good as a normal vocie call over the regular network, but ok)

As stated in earlier posts:

Use WiFi for free IM & Voice calls (unless of course you are in a chargeable WiFi hotspot)

Use 3G carefully as it's not free - if you intend using it a lot, do the maths on your normal voice usage costs and compare that to the various data packages on offer - if you make a lot of calls (esp Intnl) it may very well make sense for you

Old 30-05-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517 View Post
But Truphone is still very beta software
er, isn't Fring also BETA software?

Old 30-05-2007, 04:41 PM

rolan73d is an unknown quantity at this point
It's available 4 free on there site!

Check Youtube and search 4 N95 and fring

beautiul and detailled video

Old 30-05-2007, 05:03 PM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
There are different levels of Beta. Fring on the whole is much further along than the rest.

Old 30-05-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517 View Post
There are different levels of Beta. Fring on the whole is much further along than the rest.
Well, that I don't know but as I mention in another post, it does have its uses when used in conjunction with Truphone.