All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Talking Free-iSMS, New, Business edition, signed

My absolute, must have, app for the N97 has now been revamped and is available signed.

Free-iSMS is an iPhone-like threaded text app that allows you to view a contacts conversations in order rather than skipping between Inbox and Sent.

Nokia were developing something similar for 3rd edition phones, called Conversation, but nothing has happened on that for over a year and it's not available for 5th edition handsets.

Free-iSMS has been around for awhile in an unsigned free version and I jumped on it straight away. It was fairly basic and only offered threaded text messages and not MMS's but it did the job.

The new version, Free-iSMS Business edition, contrary to its name, is not free. It costs 9 € or 12$ but is, IMHO, money well spent and something the Ovi Store ought to be offering.

It now offers support for, kinetic scrolling, MMS, contact thumbnails (where available), method of notification, skins and is much more integrated with loads of extra settings. You can set the way it notifies you about new messages, traditional, iPhone-like or it can open the message automatically (saves a lot of fiddling but not recommended if your boyfriend/girlfriend texts when your wife/husband is around). Oh, and it installs on E: or F: as well, which is a bonus!

You can watch the video here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqpX9dTyHg

or to buy you will need your imei no: (*#06# on keypad) and email address. I received my 2 applications (app and keycode) back by email in 15 mins (although you are warned that it can take up to 24hrs.). See here:-

http://www.gczm.net.cn/PayPalFreeiSMS.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000014.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	4764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000007-168x300.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	4765  

Last edited by ironass; 10-03-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: update

Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 PM

ashg77 is on a distinguished road
Hi Ian,

Thanks for letting us know about this app.

Can you tell us how much memory (RAM) it uses? Presumably it must run all the time in order to notify you of new sms messages?

Thanks,

Ash

Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Good question Ash,

I've had it on my phone, in different versions, for so long that I've never bothered to check it's RAM usage. Mainly because I wanted it so much that I didn't give a monkey's how much RAM it used.

So, in answer to your question, I unhid it from the tasklist and Fig1 shows it in idle mode with my RAM at 41MB. I then used Handy Taskman to close it down and Fig2 shows my RAM at 41.1MB.

So the answer to your question is 0.1MB in idle mode.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with RAM on this app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	4766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	4767  

Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
It costs 9 € or 12$
...or £8.40 or £8.27 depending on which exchange rate you use

Might get this. I've been using the free one (v0.2) for some time now.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 10-03-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i'm just curious if this app takes over the built in text function, meaning that when the homescreen shows "1 New Text" and i press "open" will iSMS open up, or will i have to press "ignore", and then manually open iSMS to read the message? and if i do that, will it clear the new text indicator icon once i read the text in free iSMS? thanks.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM

I have mine set to automatically open the text in Free-iSMS, although you can set it to do it the N97 way (1 new message received) or an iPhone type notification.

After 1sec of opening (or whatever duration you choose) it shows the text as read and the N97 envelope disappears.

Last edited by ironass; 10-03-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
i purchased this yesterday evening, came through at some point during the night, so i installed it this morning.

it is AWESOME! really is a great application, chuffed with it. It does precisely what i wanted it to, you can reply to texts just by typing below the conversation, just like on my wifes SE

still playing around with it at the moment, but so far i am very happy, would recommend it

just one question - how does it work with MMS? when it imported my 'sent' messages, it just showed as 'MMS' in the conversation, i was hoping to see a small thumbnail of the pic with any associated text next to it?

i'm a happy bunny though, just a shame i had to pay for something that Apple/SE users get as standard
Ads

Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 PM

When you see "MMS" dislayed just touch it once and then go to Options and select Open message.

As for paying for it when something similar is already on Apple/SE phones then I suppose that can be said of most things, like paying extra to have a car with air/con or leather upholstery.

I think that this app is worth paying the developer for as it offers so much. Thinking about it, I only have 3 paid for app's on my phone, out of a total of about 50 (not including themes and ringtones).

So, on the whole, I think I'm winning.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Is this application available for the S60v3 or touch only?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar_Dento View Post
Is this application available for the S60v3 or touch only?
Free-iSMS is for S60v5 (touch) phones.

Nokia already have a free beta app that is similar for S60v3 phones and is called Conversation which I have installed on my N95 8GB. See here:-

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation

Read installation instructions vcarefully.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Ian

Bought this on your recommendation as i was already using something called thread sms which does just about the same thing. However this is worlds apart from that!!

Intergrates really well and is smooth and as quick as the system sms package.

Quick question -
On the iphone notification pop up can you change the background of this anywhere?

I can change the font colour but not the background (transparent blue)

My theme is basically black with gold text boxes so the blue one really is out of character!

Anyway good spot on the app - i like you have very few paid apps but this is one that i feel was well worth it. Hopefully the fella who wrote it will develop it a bit more to allow a few more user tweaks.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Ian, looks very nice been wondering about getting something like this for a while and heard good things about Free-iSMS

Couple of Q's

Is this the same as the App in Ovi called "iSMS" by err MMMOOO I think they call themselves? I don't reckon it is but would prefer to buy through Ovi as have been religious buying only through there so as not to expose my handset to any unofficial app problems.

Secondly does it install to the E:? as my C: is perilously close to full well actually it is after Quick Office and I really do have absolutley evrything I can possibly control on E: and I still only have 15MB left so you can see it's a bit tight hem hem.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
@snoFlake

yes it installs to e:

i have had absolutely no problems with stability or other issues such as crashing etc

Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post

Quick question -
On the iphone notification pop up can you change the background of this anywhere?
Glad you like it. The original was good... this is GREAT!

I must say that I don't use the iPhone type notification but as far as I can see, there isn't a way to change the background. I suppose because it's iPhone styled.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Is this the same as the App in Ovi called "iSMS" by err MMMOOO I think they call themselves? I don't reckon it is but would prefer to buy through Ovi as have been religious buying only through there so as not to expose my handset to any unofficial app problems.

Secondly does it install to the E:? as my C: is perilously close to full well actually it is after Quick Office and I really do have absolutley evrything I can possibly control on E: and I still only have 15MB left so you can see it's a bit tight hem hem.
No it's not the same app, "iSMS", as featured in Ovi Store I'm afraid. I actually prefer to buy direct from the author as recently Pizero updated some of his themes which I had purchased direct from him but were also available bthrough the Ovi Store.

Because he had my email address and original payment details, he forwarded the new version to me free.

However, he could not do this with the Ovi Store clients he told me.

As per my original posting, this app will install on C:, E: or F: and works fine on all of them. Free-iSMS = 396kb and Free-iSMS licence = 1kb.