All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-03-2009, 02:00 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
I saw this link on an AAS thread a while back:

www.bbcradio.mobi

It has links to all the Realplayer streams for every BBC radio channel. You can then add them to Gallery's Streaming links section by selecting one of the station linkks, which will launch the stream. Once RealPlayer launches, hit cancel. This will bring up a dialogue '"filename" not saved. Save now?' Select yes, pick memory or card and give it a meaningful name. Next time you want that station you can select it straight from Gallery's Streaming Links section.
Ads

Old 14-03-2009, 02:27 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
I saw this link on an AAS thread a while back:

www.bbcradio.mobi

It has links to all the Realplayer streams for every BBC radio channel. You can then add them to Gallery's Streaming links section by selecting one of the station linkks, which will launch the stream. Once RealPlayer launches, hit cancel. This will bring up a dialogue '"filename" not saved. Save now?' Select yes, pick memory or card and give it a meaningful name. Next time you want that station you can select it straight from Gallery's Streaming Links section.
Unfortunately, I found the mechanism you describe painful. The reason is that saving to the gallery's streaming links section seems to save the access point it uses too. I switch access points a lot, so it means me either having to keep lists for different access points, or find some other way. This is why I find a book mark in the browser a better solution to the problem.

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure that I understand the problem so well. I found a way around what I saw as the problem, but I didn't really bother to look into the problem to properly understand it. So, if you know better what the problem is that I describe, please enlighten me as to a better way to work around it, or whatever.

Thanks,

Max.

Old 16-03-2009, 12:57 PM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky.egg View Post
Speaking as a TV Licence Fee payer in the UK, I don't actually want to pay more so that Finns (amongst others, no offence meant) can watch BBC TV on iPlayer.
No offences meant but still you managed to being so rude! Great...

No one here (who are not british including me) wants to watch iPlayer programs on your money. If we can have pounds for our phones, we definitely have the penny to buy our programs.

@Micky! Same here. :( I am getting the same old mobile page on my opera mini 4.2 despite typing the beta page

Old 16-03-2009, 02:01 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
No offences meant but still you managed to being so rude! Great...

No one here (who are not british including me) wants to watch iPlayer programs on your money. If we can have pounds for our phones, we definitely have the penny to buy our programs.
Indeed. Nationality and licence-payer or not is irrelevant. They only target location.

If I were a Finn (or other non-UK citizen) and went to the UK on holday, I would be able to watch no problem.

If licence payers don't want to pay so we can watch it, then perhaps they should complain, and demand a login that is based on licence. As it is, the effort they go to to stop people viewing (licence payers too) is costing them money unnecessarily.

Of course, this restriction is just there to avoid them losing revenue from selling programs to broadcasters other countries.

Old 13-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

International

I think you will find it is a question of copyright in general. Although blanket ip blocking is heavy handed.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 AM

johnk is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who misses the old low-graphics version.

The old version, IMO, was a design triumph, cramming lots of information into a small space, and it made surfing the BBC News site on a small screen a pleasure. In comparison, the new version seems to waste huge amounts of screen space. Maybe that's fine if you're browsing on a touchscreen phone with a big screen, but on a 320x240 screen (I use an E63), it's a killer. The BBC site has gone from being the best mobile site to being pretty poor. I now default to the Guardian site for news, although that's not nearly as good as the old BBC site.

Of course, you'll never get everyone to agree with progress. But why kill off the old template in the first place? Like the new one, and all the other BBC versions, it just feeds off the same news database. So why remove the choice? (Obviously I have asked this question on the above link, but the BBC bosses seem reluctant to reply to the dozens of negative comments).

If you agree and care enough, please add your name to the petition mentioned on the above link.